Pausing for Screenshots

evermore

Ok so I have a question:

Is it possible to pause the action/motion of the player actor and NPCs (or just a complete pause of the game) while still being able to move the camera freely to line up a shot?

A list of imperfect solutions I already know:

-tcl

-tfc

-tai (locks anims but not motion, since many anims cause motion the character while keep moving even though processing is off)

-spawning invisible collsion boxes to hold actors in place with tai (works but takes forever to get right)

-pausing the game in way where camera cannot be moved

What I do right now is just use tai and try to get the shot off while the actors are sliding past the right position. Something that stops translational motion of the actors would work, but obviously a way to totally pause the game while mantaining a movable camera would work also.

A mod with all the game's anims and other pose/animation mods w/o translational motion would work also, but would be a huge project and probaly incomplete since many of the anim/pose mods do not allow for use as a modding resource.

thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to give some advice

-evermore

There is also cls (clearscreen) to remove all previously typed things in the console. Leaves the single line (the type bar thingy), but you don't have to type blind afterwards.

On a sidenote; when I tai a creature or npc, they freeze like a statue... is your oblivion not right, or mine...? o_O

Lucifer

If you want to still move the camera....

At the right moment open the console to pause the action.

Do tfc

Press your left shift key 5 times this will minimise the game to the windows desktop and bring up a sticky keys window.

Click cancel and click back on oblivion to maximise it again.

Now action will be frozen, cancel the console and use the arrow keys to move the camera (important don't press any other keys)

Take your shot.

Get back to windows and open task manager then double click on oblivion, this will put you back to the game running normally.

Every now and then, my virus-stuff starts nagging me while in oblivion, forcing me to desktop (without crashing)... I go back, and all is frozen. Never found a way around it, and always had to end the task.

"open task manager then double click on oblivion, this will put you back to the game running normally."

Until now.

Thank you, and have a kudo. Will go great with the rest of your pile of kudos.

Lucifer

Edited by GreatLucifer

GreatLucifer, like the OP said, if you ~tai any actor doing any sort of animation involved with any considerable movement from one point, even a single step, the actor will rocket into that direction. Baaaaaad for action scenes. Simple idle animations don't count, but a small step forward while attacking... Edited by Sarya

Well, not overhere..... o_O

I mainly use tai to freeze people when panick strikes, when my health gets low.

Heck, I even freeze people persuing me... when a guard comes after me, even tai-ing it at full running speed, he simply freezes midair...

Does this mean my oblivion is bugged... (or evolved :ermm: )?

Odd stuff.... not that it matters that much, but is has made me curious.

Lucifer

I don't know. Though maybe it involves only some animations and not others. Probably the vanilla running animation doesn't actually imitate movement and the character only moves for real. Anyway, those animations where I spotted this weren't actual moving animations, but something other, like hits/swings, which involved moving/stepping. Of course, if the particular animation is okay with that command, then it's all the better.

• 1 month later...
If you want to still move the camera....

At the right moment open the console to pause the action.

Do tfc

Press your left shift key 5 times this will minimise the game to the windows desktop and bring up a sticky keys window.

Click cancel and click back on oblivion to maximise it again.

Now action will be frozen, cancel the console and use the arrow keys to move the camera (important don't press any other keys)

Take your shot.

Get back to windows and open task manager then double click on oblivion, this will put you back to the game running normally.

hmm i must try this, I wonder if there is a way to do a mod that allows this to be done convienently.

EDIT: I forgot about the sticky key sound (I thought my powersupply busted a capacitor the first time). I really hate the sticky key sound... FML

Edited by evermore