Breaking the Weapon Mod Limit - What might you want to see?

Maganus

Hey All,

New to modding, mostly did my own thing with Fallout 3 (waited for the Game of the Year with all the content) and tweaked things in the game or from other mods after getting those. Loved what people are doing... but only somewhat digging New Vegas. After the wait and the early drop that they would be re-introducing weapon modding like old school Fallout 1 & 2 had, I was really disappointed playing and checking the game in the GECK that there was a three mod cap on weapons because of the way they designed the game.

Anyway, I'm a gun nut, buddy has the code piece, started looking at the posibilities and what might be done. So, my man Merczeus is working on a set of scripts in a new mod that will change the way weapons are modded and so that there can be more than 3 mods on a weapon. Proof of concept is done with a five mod capable 10mm pistol, so starting to compile a work order. This is where the fun part comes in...

We were talking, and thought that we would throw out there a thread to start looking for input on what the community might be interested in seeing what people might be interested in seeing. Understand, the thoughts need to be realistic and keep with the feel of Fallout and what makes sense in the real world/sci-fi (for those laser weapons, unless someone knows what the mods might be for the Airforce Theater Defense Platform might be... better optics focusing? faster recharge cycling?... and if you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.

Realistic Examples - I.E. the 10mm currently in game will now feature (so far) - Extended Magazines (with a higher magazine cap than it has in the current version), Laser Sight, Silencer, Heavy Frame mod (+50% durability), and Automatic Fire.

For something like the Cowboy Repeater - Increased Fire Rate, Increased Internal Magazine, Decreased Weight , add a scope (probably off Le Longue Carabine??)

Plasma Rifle - Increased Projectile Speed, Power Effeciency Use (increasd ammo capacity for similar cost, a 2 for 1 system), Kelvin Cycler (increased plasma fusion, increases critical %), Expansive Wash (takes two ammo/shot - increases damage), more??

The plan has a lot of moving pieces right now... and might be looking for help, especially for those with the graphical experience to update the weapons with some fashionable changes. Will probably ask those who are already making or have done some of that work so that we aren't reinventing the wheel (and not great on the graphics side over here) - so any volunteers in that helps greatly, too =).

So hit up those ideas.

Well, I already (in a previous mod in an unmentionable site) broke the modding limit quite a long time ago (a year ago, I think). This is easily done through scripts, to the point where in the end I ended up with over 30,000 lines of scripts with around 8 different mods (scope options, silencers, etc).

Also, remember: the number of weapon entries you'll need gets exponential higher as you go up in the mod count; I ended up with 164 variants.

Edited by dazzerfong

Well, I already (in a previous mod in an unmentionable site) broke the modding limit quite a long time ago (a year ago, I think). This is easily done through scripts, to the point where in the end I ended up with over 30,000 lines of scripts with around 8 different mods (scope options, silencers, etc).

Also, remember: the number of weapon entries you'll need gets exponential higher as you go up in the mod count; I ended up with 164 variants.

If you build a script that uses the varible, then yes you have to build for all the permutations, this will be a simpler system that doesn't need variable to avoid having to write all those lines of code. It doesn't make it the most invisible system, but it's easier to ensure the scripts work and don't compromise the game, as well as being easier to build.

I already took into account the global variables (ie. if silencer was equipped aaSilencer == 1, etc), but I was left with no choice because I had to diversify in the end because of the sheer number of mods in the end.

There is another way, but I don't really like that way (too unspecific). Of course, those 30,000 lines are just basically the same lines but with minor differences along the way, so in the end, it ain't that hard. Also, my method goes around the permanent mod thing in FNV and also gets around the fact that you have to get into your Pip-boy to edit your gun (I just use a key).

Thing is, all my weapon mods changes the 3D aspect of the gun one way or the other: yours just changes the properties of the guns.

Edited by dazzerfong

I added a few guns because I thought theyd make good modifications but I couldn't do it;

Quad Barrel Sawn-off; Shoots 14 projectiles, and uses 4 shells.

Double Shot 10 mm Pistol; Fires 2 projectiles, uses 2 ammo.

Quad Tap 9mm; Has a four bullet clip, but has 0 delay between shots.

I don't know if their solid or lore bound but i could imagine it.. I had to make recipes because I couldn't tamper with the modification side of things.

I also tried but couldnt get working;

Automatic Service Rifle

Automatic Hunting Rifle

Are you able to make similar modifications?

If someone had texture for new guns they were wiling to share...

Edited by adman85

It would be interesting to see some of the cut weapon versions implemented. The service rifle has in incredible number of unused models for it, including versions featuring a bayonet. This was intended to work with the special VATS attack option, in particular the unimplemented "melée strike" checkbox. There's also different models for the multiplas rifle, a few other things.

I think the most desired feature is going to be making certain weapons automatic. The service rifle springs to mind again.

I added a few guns because I thought theyd make good modifications but I couldn't do it;

Quad Barrel Sawn-off; Shoots 14 projectiles, and uses 4 shells.

Double Shot 10 mm Pistol; Fires 2 projectiles, uses 2 ammo.

Quad Tap 9mm; Has a four bullet clip, but has 0 delay between shots.

I don't know if their solid or lore bound but i could imagine it.. I had to make recipes because I couldn't tamper with the modification side of things.

I also tried but couldnt get working;

Automatic Service Rifle

Automatic Hunting Rifle

Are you able to make similar modifications?

If someone had texture for new guns they were wiling to share...

Hi,

Yes, that quad barrel shotgun mod is possible. It sure sounds outrageous, but so is a supermutant wearing a wig; so anything is possible. We are not ruling anything out, so keep the ideas coming. If we don't use the whole thing, maybe we'll use parts of the idea. But as my buddy Maganus mentioned, we need experts with graphics skills to help with the visuals.

And the automatic versions for most ranged weapons, from my internal testing, absolutely possible.

Your guns idea got me really thinking and I went scouring for new gun modification mods,

Instead I found this;

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37002

It's not for gun mods but man that is a sweet selection, I DLd it immediately, and so far I'm really impressed.

I don't know if the two even link really as modifications pretty much work as normal on the guns there, but,

His guns, Your modifications.. Boom. I'm sold.

And yeah I hear a lot of callouts for people who can retexture. I can't yet but I'm gonna learn just for this game.

I <3 fallout.

Melee attachments sound awesome.. Surely you could stick a ripper or three, or a chainsaw on a minigun.. Surely.. Or maybe i'm just gettin my hopes up.

Beam splitters are cool for energy weapons, perhaps they could go into tri and quad splitters?

I'd love to see laser sights that actually put a dot on the victim. (or just have a laser thats longer than 2 inches)

maybe grenade launcher or flamer or even shotgun attachments to larger machine guns if thats possible (I guess you'd have to link a key to melee or other attachments)

Dampners on the heavier automatic weapons (decrease noise and recoil and maybe spread, but decrease damage)

Maybe for the heavy shot pistols, rifles etc just giving them one shot before reload..

Flashy or threatening mods, maybe give a speech or charisma bonus (or maybe not..)

Auto reloaders? If you're out of combat for more than 15 sec's and your guns' not full.. (could increase reload speed maybe?)

This would probly be an attachment as well, but tracer rounds.. You know, that leave a trail (wow if thats not what a tracer round is I will slap myself..)

For that matter, predictive targeting for grenade or lobbing guns.. (a curved line pointing to the landing point)

And how about semi automatic downgrades, dropping them to fire on click but decreasing spread and increasing range or something (this would go well with the expanse of guns in the above mod)

And i'm sure i've got more just gimme a minute lol

Hey you said keep em comin :D

Edited by adman85