HD Texture CTD, but only after a while ...

nickolaidas

Weirdest thing. I installed new HD textures (specifically, all the HD textures used by Lougian)

www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/users/1600249/?tb=mods&pup=1

I also downloaded all the most of the 'mythic' creatures HD textures.

I begin a NEW game, exit the sewers and see the textures for the first time. Everything ok. I enter some ruins across the river, and I'll either

a) get a CTD

b) enter the ruins, but all textures are pitch black

c) enter and everything works perfect

If I leave the ruins, I either

a) get a CTD

b) exit the ruins but the textures look vanilla like and the trees and leaves look like green boxes with a picture on them

c) exit and everything is fine.

If I crash and reload, it may happen again, it many not. I tried using the OBMM and go to Utilities --> ArchiveInvalidation --> BSA redirection (also tried invalidation) and Update Now and then some textures got fixed, but NPC faces got invisible and the weapon and armor icons in the journal are invisible, despite the character holding the actual 3D models.

Then I either get a CTD, or if I enter the ruins half the textures are invisible, vanilla like and ... I don't know, I'm completely lost.

Note that I also used the 'better looking armors' and 'Complete Oblivion Texture Compendium - Weapons'.

I'm completely lost. Any clues?

The Oblivion Reloaded readme said in the installation I have to invalidate my BSA archives. I must have done something wrong, because I went to OBMM --> Utilities --> Archive Invalidation --> BSA invalidation --> (File Types to Include: checked the X on Textures) --> Reset BSA timestamps --> Update Now.

What did I do wrong? The hands and feet of both my character and the dark elf across my cell are invisible. (Haven't tried the HD textures yet ...)

Yep, now, the Archive Invalidation standard is BSA Redirection.

Oblivion Reloaded is a system library of FX effects, just as its predecessor, OBGE, was.

SKSE is not for Skyrim? I thought you only could use OBSE on Oblivion.

Cheers!

Yes, SKSE is for Skyrim, Coast. I was speaking allegorically.

At any rate, either I was doing something wrong, or QARL's textures wasn't what I was looking for. I downloaded some other HD textures and those worked just fine. Simple manual copy and paste, just how I like it. Only that this time, thanks to Reloaded, I didn't have any bugs or crushes whatsoever. I installed mythic creatures HD textures, better looking armors (although I cannot say I really see a difference with those) and basically all is good.

A little side note. I turned off the HDR and used bloom because the aliasing really bugged me. I still get depth of field and everything looks even better. So I don't get it ... why does the Reloaded readme states that I should use HDR?

Anyway. All is good and now all three elder scrolls games are modded and visually upgraded (and so far, CTD free). Phew!

Are the two oldest ES game modded in any way? I remember reading about Dagger XL, but I think the project is on the fridge. Anything on an ES I - Arena overhaul?