Immortality Pill

JohannesGunn

Wanna live forever?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a pill that granted true immortality, would you take it?

• Oh, yeah!
    • Not a chance...
    • Only if it tasted like candy...
  2. 2. What if it was a shot?

• So? Bring it on!
    • Uh... I don't like needles...
    • Not a chance...
    • Only if it's gonna mess with my mind, man...

I'd take it (shot or pill) and would choose a cause I belived in to support and keep supporting it until it becomes fully mainstream.

How annoying would it be to have a nemesis who was giving grandpa fits, your dad a mile of grief, and now is the biggest thorn in your side? You can't have this person assassinated because he can't die (you know this because both grandpa and dad tried this already). The best you can hope for is this guy makes a mistake and your children or grandchildren catches it (maybe even great-grandchildren if this guy is cautious).

I would want a stipulationon to it though - add something to it to make me young again (like 26 or so), then turn me loose.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a while floating through space you would be drawn into a random planets gravity field and spend forever going around and around and around and around

Or you could fall into a black hole and go under the theoretical process of spaghettification. That would be pretty cool too.

Living forever would be great for the first few thousand years, but as millenia fly by, you'd begin to tire of life. You'd find that you'd experienced life enough already and would begin to grow bored of what life has to offer. You would begin to long for death, even if was truly the end of your being, just to escape the mind numbingly boring experience life had become.

Still, I think that if offered an Immortality Pill, I'd be weak enough to take it. As a skeptic, I don't truly believe in an afterlife as I can find no evidence of one (this is not a criticism of those that believe in an afterlife, I have no prejudice against those with faith in a religion), so to be honest, the idea of death is quite disturbing. But then, I'm still young, when I'm old, I may be able to embrace death without worry.

Edited by GetOutOfBox

Living forever would be great for the first few thousand years, but as millenia fly by, you'd begin to tire of life. You'd find that you'd experienced life enough already and would begin to grow bored of what life has to offer. You would begin to long for death, even if was truly the end of your being, just to escape the mind numbingly boring experience life had become.

Still, I think that if offered an Immortality Pill, I'd be weak enough to take it. As a skeptic, I don't truly believe in an afterlife as I can find no evidence of one (this is not a criticism of those that believe in an afterlife, I have no prejudice against those with faith in a religion), so to be honest, the idea of death is quite disturbing. But then, I'm still young, when I'm old, I may be able to embrace death without worry.

to fear death is to fear life

• 10 months later...

Immortality is-

• Unobtainable
  • Obtainable
  • Forever
  • Impossible
  • Possible

There are so many ways that Immorality can be defined. The only matter is how you achieve it.

You can become immortal by discovering a new land (Columbus.. even though it was already "found" by tons of others, he is the first person that history knows the name of.. for most), or discovering/defining a rule of physics (Newton), or make good enough music for everyone to love, and still be hated. (Michael Jackson, who still cannot rest in peace due to his doctor's continued harassment, saying that he killed him. It doesn't matter anymore.. its been years since Michael Jackson died.) Or even just helping out others, and making an impact on those around you. (YOU.. as in the reader of this). Even JohannesGunn, the creator of this thread will be immortalized for a certain amount of time.

..and to answer the question. I would have to leave said immortality pill on the nightstand of my deathbed until I was about to die, and then decide upon if I had done enough for this world to be immortalized.

Edited by Dark_Technician

I fail to understand why people WANT to die. Not going to get into that anymore, but I voted yes on both.

Fearing death makes sense considering you are completely gone when you die. It doesn't make you brave to accept death with open arms, in my eyes it makes you foolish.

Edited by marharth

I fail to understand why people WANT to die. Not going to get into that anymore, but I voted yes on both.

Fearing death makes sense considering you are completely gone when you die. It doesn't make you brave to accept death with open arms, in my eyes it makes you foolish.

That isn't really the case.

Would you want to live a life in which you have experienced pretty much everything?

Think about it like playing Oblivion for one million hours. Of course in real life things will be created and things will be changed but, by the time you are 1000 you would be able to gather insane amount of knowledge no one else has. Most likely you will get a lot of money eventually and whats next? Just sit in your mansions, knowing that your wife will die and you would have to stand that for eternity? And would you really want to be the smartest being on Earth? Would you want to try to educate a kindergarten class why the shouldn't pull each others hair and punch each other?

That isn't really the case.

Would you want to live a life in which you have experienced pretty much everything?

Think about it like playing Oblivion for one million hours. Of course in real life things will be created and things will be changed but, by the time you are 1000 you would be able to gather insane amount of knowledge no one else has. Most likely you will get a lot of money eventually and whats next? Just sit in your mansions, knowing that your wife will die and you would have to stand that for eternity? And would you really want to be the smartest being on Earth? Would you want to try to educate a kindergarten class why the shouldn't pull each others hair and punch each other?

The entire universe is constantly changing. There will never be a time when you have done everything that can be done.