Can somebody clear up for me please when Skinning

KiwiHawkNZ

Kia ora

I did Nightasy's tutorials on porting armors into Skyrim using a full complete UNP body

as part od the tut (using the default Fur armor) we where shown how to import the

default Famers dress and set up blending as a simple starter way to get the skirt section

of the amor to move without clipping. that was one item therefore one one Node

My question is if I have an amor that has more than one part to it eg: chest, Pauldron

and a skirt/kilt type part that maybe falls over the pants, when I skin these things do I

need to blend ALL parts or just the skirt part them delete the famers dress? I guess that leads to

(His tutorial stated %50) if I use say %80 to skin the weights from the Dress will I break stuff or

will it just go weird on me?

Thanks in advance for your time

Hey.

A normal workflow would be to edit the mesh, attach everything, then add a skin wrap modifier which after using will give you the new skinning data.

or.

Drop down to the edit poly in the stack, move the verts you need, then go back up to the skin in the modifier stack. You just don't want to start deleting verts / polys with the skin on the stack above.

As far as weighting goes, yeah you want the verts weighted the same / similar from the mesh layer below compared to the one above. If not they will move at different rates and probably clip.

Hope I understood the question right.

Your on the right track, I maybe should have been clearer

You've pretty much said I need to do the same on ALL nodes, so if I wish to use "Blend Base Mesh"

I need to use it for the whole process not just the skirt

If I load say the Famers Female dress with my armor and set under skin wrap

Face Deformation

Blend to Base Mesh

Blend Distance: (default is 5.0) <---------- if I make this higher will it load more of the Dress weights, making the armor skirt move better or break stuff.

I will try learn how to load a run animation and do a frame by fram weight check when I get better at what I can do

Kia ora

I guess this is what I really should know if I'm going to do this righ aye

If I load say the Famers Female dress with my armor and set under skin wrap

Face Deformation

Blend to Base Mesh

Blend Distance: (default is 5.0) <---------- if I make this higher will it load more of the Dress weights, making the armor skirt move better or break stuff.

BTW

Just as an aside to be clear

If I load a body nif into 3Ds Max and the skeleton.nif is in the folder will it load the skeleton with it if I select load skeleton

in the dialog options or do I need to load that also?

Thanks in advance

Kia ora

Seems I'm not speaking English or being clear about what I'm doing or trying to do

I'm just trying to learn how to do stuff like make armor suit the body meash I use eg: I was using UNP but just

found the body by Leito http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57749/?

Sure he's done the default armors etc but if I want the correct sizing for custom armors I have to learn to do that myself

so I did the tutorial by Nightasy, cept I load the XP32 skeleton, problem is I'm not sure of the details for example

Nightasy says load the Female_0.nif (shows a pic of the settings) and says check load skeleton, if I load Leitos body

the same way am I getting a skeleton or am I maybe better to load a skeleton.nif them load the body without load skeleton

checked.

What I'm doing is:

Load the XP32 Skeleton on a layer

Load the Body on a layer

Load the Armor I'm editing on a layer

remove the BS stuff and skin apply a smooth 2

move shape and edit the armor to where I need it

Apply a skinwrap (selecting Face Deformation, weight all verts)

Add body convert to skin (If it has a skirt load famers dress and select "blend to base mesh")

(I was not sure either for example if I needed to do that for each piece or just the skirt piece)

Add a BSDismemberSkin seclet all (drag select to select the whole item) use drop down to select

Skyrim MainBody and click Create to get out

Repeat for each item of armor, whem done select all and export as <name>_0.nif

Delete the _0 body, load the _1 Body and edit

This where I get totally unsure do I delete all the BSDismemberSkins and skin and redo the them,

or just edit under them without deleting anything, just move things, then export

There does not seem to be a tutorial that make this process really clear.

Things one maybe needs to know for example

Does the "import dialog" box (when Importing) when "Import Skeleton" is checked load the skeleton automagicly (when there is or is not, a skeleton.nif in the same folder) or is that skeleton in the body skin and BSDismemberSkin

Hopefully this is English enough for people to understand

• 3 years later...

Kia ora

Seems I'm not speaking English or being clear about what I'm doing or trying to do

I'm just trying to learn how to do stuff like make armor suit the body meash I use eg: I was using UNP but just

found the body by Leito http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57749/?

Sure he's done the default armors etc but if I want the correct sizing for custom armors I have to learn to do that myself

so I did the tutorial by Nightasy, cept I load the XP32 skeleton, problem is I'm not sure of the details for example

Nightasy says load the Female_0.nif (shows a pic of the settings) and says check load skeleton, if I load Leitos body

the same way am I getting a skeleton or am I maybe better to load a skeleton.nif them load the body without load skeleton

checked.

What I'm doing is:

Load the XP32 Skeleton on a layer

Load the Body on a layer

Load the Armor I'm editing on a layer

remove the BS stuff and skin apply a smooth 2

move shape and edit the armor to where I need it

Apply a skinwrap (selecting Face Deformation, weight all verts)

Add body convert to skin (If it has a skirt load famers dress and select "blend to base mesh")

(I was not sure either for example if I needed to do that for each piece or just the skirt piece)

Add a BSDismemberSkin seclet all (drag select to select the whole item) use drop down to select

Skyrim MainBody and click Create to get out

Repeat for each item of armor, whem done select all and export as <name>_0.nif

Delete the _0 body, load the _1 Body and edit

This where I get totally unsure do I delete all the BSDismemberSkins and skin and redo the them,

or just edit under them without deleting anything, just move things, then export

There does not seem to be a tutorial that make this process really clear.

Things one maybe needs to know for example

Does the "import dialog" box (when Importing) when "Import Skeleton" is checked load the skeleton automagicly (when there is or is not, a skeleton.nif in the same folder) or is that skeleton in the body skin and BSDismemberSkin

Hopefully this is English enough for people to understand

All that rudeness, and you never thought t just TRY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS? Import, if the Skeleton is there, then what is the answer? YES.. If it imports, then YES IT IMPORTS,.. English enough??

Hi

for some reason its quite hart to follow your thoughts

The Nif Import dialog is quite simple and clear, if you tick to load a skeletton to your mesh, you need to enter the path for the skeleton in the box underneath (if you tick only nothing will happen)
If you pick the wrong skeleton then your skin modifier might not work proper as bones are missing or named differently.

For the rest
every single piece you assemble and planning to export needs to be vertex weighted (skin modifier) and requires an BSDismemberSkinInstance otherwise it will not associate with the bones of the skeleton and so not animate.

If you need more information on how the skinwrap modifier works and what effect the settings have check out Autodesk Click here

CL