ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How to get music to work as a sound file?

Guest Messenjah

Guest Messenjah
So, I need to start setting up some sound files for my mod. Primarily, I need to set up music inside a cell. I was able to get music wav files to play in FO3 but I'm not sure how to get it to work in FONV. I noticed some sound files are also .ogg. Anyone get this to work? I know I need to place it inside the fx folder but how do I format it? I can't get wav or mp3 files to play from the fx folder as of yet. :\

I also have the same problem. Something changed from FO3 to FONV. I was working on a jukebox that play the new vegas soundtrack and i gave up. I just don't get how to use the sound files. I have tried a lot of ways to make it work but it doesn't. Troubleshooting is a bit hard. How can i find the problem if i can't get it to play in the geck first. I am pretty sure my script was good because i have use it for other things that works flawlessly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Now that i am thinking about it... In the quest where the courier launches the rockets for the ghouls, when the courier activates the console, rides of the valkyries starts playing. I think we should take a look in this cell. We might find something interesting.

Edited by Dwight Darkmoon

well, i've gotten them all to work and i'm not sure what difficulties you're encountering that i didn't, but here's what i did.

i haven't tried to play .mp3's as sound effects, i just made new "music" forms and used the PlayMusic function in scripts for them

as for the sound effects, anything that needs to have a random sound effect, such as swinging a melee weapon against a wall, they made the sound effect form point to a folder, not one wav file. it randomly selects one of the wav files from that folder to play.

TONS of the sound effects in the new vegas geck just don't play, you may have noticed. you open the form, click play, and no sound, nothing. but a few others do, why? well, i figured that out. they didn't remove any of the sound effect forms from fallout 3... they didn't include the actual wav files they point to, but they included all the soundeffect forms for them. if you have fallout 3 as well, unpack your sound and music bsa's into fallout new vegas' data directory and the sounds will play in the new vegas geck and be usable in-game again.

maybe some of that helps, maybe not, sorry i can't help more.

Thanks TallgeeseIV

This will help. I have been tweaking stuff in the geck for a long time but just started learning more to make better mods. I wasn't using the PlayMusic function. I rewrote a script from fallout 3 that was working without using this PlayMusic function. Maybe that is what changed from FO3 to FONV, maybe i did miss something. I don't know but if you can use the files with the play function in your script, something tells me i will too in a near future.

Thanks again.

Guest Messenjah

Interesting, this poses a bit of a problem for me however. As this is a strip club, I need music to play multiple songs but not through a radio and I don't need any introductions. How can I script that function so that it plays multiple songs, one right after the other (doesn't need to be random but that would be cool) and set it up some way so that the music will stop during certain quest events and start at the end of those quest events? This might actually be better as the sound just needs to fill the entire area anyway but I need it to be louder than say.. Gommorah or the radio music. :P

I'm also not really needing the old FO3 sound effects to work, I just need new ones to work. So, are you saying that the sound files that won't play simply don't exist in the FONV bsa? I'm confused....

Interesting, this poses a bit of a problem for me however. As this is a strip club, I need music to play multiple songs but not through a radio and I don't need any introductions. How can I script that function so that it plays multiple songs, one right after the other (doesn't need to be random but that would be cool) and set it up some way so that the music will stop during certain quest events and start at the end of those quest events? This might actually be better as the sound just needs to fill the entire area anyway but I need it to be louder than say.. Gommorah or the radio music. :P

I'm also not really needing the old FO3 sound effects to work, I just need new ones to work. So, are you saying that the sound files that won't play simply don't exist in the FONV bsa? I'm confused....

as for sound effects, yes, that's exactly what i'm saying, haha. music on the other hand is different. there's only 20 or so music forms in the vanilla game, and a few of them are obviously from FO3, such as "TranquilityLaneLP" and "TenpennyLobbyMusic" but i didn't try them before putting all my fo3 music in with my new vegas music. it doesn't matter though. to do what you're trying to do, just create brand new music forms, name them whatever you want "ClubMusic1", "ClubMusic2" etc. for how many songs you have. then put all the songs you want to use in the data\music folder and point each new form to a different song. there is no known way to pause music i'm afraid, but you can stop it by playing "1NoMusic" which is just blank, it'll interrupt any music with silence until something else is called to play

also, if you want it to play a song with no designated filename (such as when you release the mod and people have to put their own songs in) just create folders in your data\music folder called "ClubMusic1", "ClubMusic2" etc. and point each music form to the folder it corresponds to intead of the actual mp3 you're using itself. that way, the game will play whatever music they put there when "ClubMusic1" is called from a script. just put placing the mp3's of the songs they're going to use in your installation instructions.

Guest Messenjah

That's a really good idea actually! I'll just call nomusic to play until the event is over with. So for instance... I could have my random music files playing with an activator script and then another script will activate at around midnight by calling on "nomusic" and will play until everyone is on stage and then the show music files will play. Once that is over it will be followed by nomusic on a second timer and then will call on the original script to play the first song in the list or maybe even call on a random song in the list in order to start the cycle over again. :)

I'll try the idea with designated folders. That way, I don't have to have any particular songs set up. The only restriction is that I don't want any of the songs to be set up on a timer, other than for the midnight burlesque show. This will be nice, since I could recommend people download certain files from a legit website such as amazon.com or place their own music in.

You can script it so that one song will call upon another song after it plays through can't you?

You can script it so that one song will call upon another song after it plays through can't you?

nope... can you believe that? what was bethesda thinking?? the ONLY script function dealing with music in any way at all is "PlayMusic" which doesn't have any parameters...

Guest Messenjah

nope... can you believe that? what was bethesda thinking?? the ONLY script function dealing with music in any way at all is "PlayMusic" which doesn't have any parameters...

lol, in a way, I feel bad for Obsidian this time around. I also just love how Bethesda and Obsidian had missing pieces for their snap kits. :\

This means that scripting it in this way would be a bit pointless, so then how do we accomplish playing one song after the other? The only way, I know of that worked in FO3, or so I've been told was to create each song as a sound effect and then call upon it using an activator and scripting and you could link each song to the next this way and maybe even randomize it.

In fact, here is the thread where I asked about this:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/214979-creating-soundmusic-for-a-nightclub-mulitiple-radios-for-speakers/page__p__1884530__fromsearch__1#entry1884530

I found myself wanting to do this exact thing earlier today, here's how I did it.

First I went the radio station route, and found it to be a dead end, the same as you did i guess.

I tried changing the music type of the cell, no good.

Finally I went with a single sound marker, playing my one looping track (which is all I needed in the first place, if you want more it might be more difficult). But it works perfectly, you can set the attenuation so it trails off with distance exactly how you want, and you can set it to start and stop at a certain time. I even have it toggled via jukebox. Works great.

And from another poster:

I always wondered if it was possible to play a song from a sound object. I guess it is. In that case, you could place several sound objects each with a different song and have a controlling script that enables one at a time so it sounds like a radio station. With a bit of work, you could even enable some sound objects to play verbal intros in between. With enough scripting skills, you could even make the songs play randomly but not repeat until a certain number of other songs have played, just like the radio stations.

Any thoughts?