Help a PC gamer out?

SuperMajinGogeta4

hehe, watch your language there honey :P Naughty words can get you a strike or banned here, just so you know. :thumbsup:

Pretty much, you cannot put an aftermarket graphics card in a laptop. Laptops do not follow a basic form factor like PCs do. HPs, Gateways, Dells, etc. all use a different "size" for their graphics cards and motherboards. Also, most laptop graphics cards are either soldered into the motherboard or part of the northbridge. For example...you couldn't take a mobile GTX460 from a Dell laptop and stick it in your HP. You'd also be incredibly lucky to find a laptop graphics card for sale.

As for your games that don't work on Windows 7, I can't help you there. I still use Windows XP 64. I'd try putting the compatibility mode in XP for those games instead of Vista. Also make sure you have your games installed outside of Program Files (something like C:\Games) because of the UAC, it can cause problems with some games if they are installed in Program Files.

What happened to your PC? Virus? Why don't you just reformat? Or did it kill the HDD too? It's super cheap to get a new HDD these days....1TB ones run about $100 now.

Edited by Illiad86

Illiad covered pretty much everything. Just thought I'd mention that IF the virus didn't cook anything, just reformat. If you're having difficulty getting it started, I'd advise borrowing a friends computer to download Linux and install it to a thumb drive. If you need instructions for that, you can find them on the Ubuntu website. Then use that to boot up, re-format, and then drop your install disc back in. Or join the Dark Side and just load Ubuntu like a pro.

All that aside, I guess you could go in and replace your motherboard with a compatible motherboard with the better/proper card, but that's a lot of money.

Adding to the note about the games not playing, I'd recommend trying Service Pack 2 specifically, as I've had a FEW issues with using XP SP3 compatibility. If you don't know how, just right-click the icon (FOR NON-STEAM GAMES) Properties -> Compatibility -> Check the first box, and select either XP SP3 or SP2.

Edited by RZ1029

I would advise to check first your system if it can still boot till it says that your system can't find an OS. If it requests for an OS or it reaches the Windows system but can't go any further, I would suggest to just reformat it and install Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3. There are lots of games that you could play in WinXP unlike with Vista and Win7.

As long as your system can still boot from BIOS to the system, it's still ok. But if not, you should be buying a new HDD.