An Author Without a Mod

majikmonkee

I've come across some very well done mods since I started playing Oblivion quest mods, and while it's resulted in inspiration for me, it's ulimately lead to frustration at the same time. Let me explain.

I'm an old school modder of games like Wolfenstein 3D and Duke 3D, and have done several "total conversions", where all elements of the original game are basically removed to make it something else entirely. A friend of mine not long ago joined forces to help me create an RPG called "Star Wars: Bloodlines" built with an entirely new game engine and some borrowed graphics. I've also done several games using the Game Maker program when I was going through a creative dry spell, my most recent being SKUNKZ (see signature).

The point of all of this is, while I very much enjoyed doing graphics and voices for these projects, I'm a writer at heart, and doing the scripts and stories for these different projects has been the most enjoyable aspect for me (prior to turning my talents to gaming, I wrote a collection of short horror stories and a couple of short plays as well). Seeing the potential Oblivion has for bringing stories alive in a setting I've very much fallen in love with, I would love nothing more than to write my own chapter in the Elder Scrolls universe.

Unfortunately, I currently have a six month old baby who takes up most of my free time and an unfulfilling job that accounts for the majority of my waking hours. I've never been a fan of writing just straight up fan fiction, if I wrote something, I would want to see it fully realized in game form, but I'm smart enough to realize that learning to mod in any sort of decent capacity takes time and dedication, time I currently just don't have. So basically, I'd love nothing more than to author a mod, but I don't expect anyone out there would want to contribute the kind of time and effort it takes to do the physical aspects of modding for someone else's idea. :mellow:

Edited by majikmonkee