Need help deciding

jbell2825

First off, let me say I love this sight. It has helped rekindle my interest, not only in Dragon age, but PC games in general. Love the idea of modding games to change the experience. All that being said, I need help in deciding on which game to buy.

I have Dragon age and am currently playing another go through with several mods in place. I want to thank the community for thier hard work, and making it easy enough for a newb like me to install the mods.

I want to know which game I should get next Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas? I have boughten Oblivion and Fallout 3 for the xbox, but I never could get into the games, but with this website and all of its wonderfull glory I would like to try them out again but with a pc and mods.

Here is what I am looking for, Oblivion would be my first choice, I prefer a more tradional fantasy RPG, but I am concerned about the age of the game. Are the graphics dated? Compared to fallout 3? Dont get me wrong, graphics arent everything, but if oblivion is showing its age, is there any mods that can make up for that?

Is one game easier to mod than another? Dragon age was very easy to mod, but from what I have read is oblivion much more compicated? Is there any difference in looks bewteen F3 and NV? Is it the same engine just new location?

Basically I am looking for advice on which is better Oblivion/F3/nv based on ease of modding and the mods available, and how do they look. With all of the mods that enhance the visual experience, I would like to pick a game that took full advantage of it.

Thank you

IMAO, cut out New Vegas; it was a fun game and I recommend it don't get me wrong, but Oblivion and Fallout 3 are better choices.

Now which to decide over is a tough one since both were revolutionary (Oblivion for taking the next step in the RPG Genre, and Fallout 3 because no one had made a game quite like it). You gotta ask yourself which one you want: Do you want a fantasy game with beautyful, moving scenery with magic and hidden realms, or a bleak, riveting, fallout torn world with big guns, vaults, superior and otherworldly technology with a taste of conspiracy and ill fate ontop of responsibly?

It's really up to you, but if you ask me, I could never choose.

Modding adversely effects relisbility.

Seeing as how NV barely runs as it is, adding mods that would make it's code even more unstable seems like a bad idea.

As Keanu has stated, FO3 and Oblivion are your main choices.

I myself would recomend Oblivion. Fallout is a very short game, and you cant pack much fun into a game that's main quest shuts your characters down and deletes it upon comepletion.

But in Oblivion, you cant complete every quest because they game doesnt ever end. Your character lives forever and doesnt age, and the game simply drops back into first person mode after the credits have rolled. Finaly, it has much better variety of mods. Most people for FO3 have created modern/future themed stuff.

But with Oblivion, you've got all that modern and future awesome, but also the options of prehistoric stuff, medieval stuff, colonial era stuff, and so many partial and total conversion mods that I hardly know where to start.

For example my copy runs with enhanced graphics, an entirely revamped sound system, an entirely new set of sounds and animations, and totaly diferent cimbat system created from the ground up for third person play, and dozens of nonstandard "facility" mods that give me better freedom of choice.

Not to mention the hundred plus item, clothing, theme, cosmetic and quest mods.

Lastly, Oblivion is the only game with so much player freedom that at any given time you can pull your boots off, chuck them on the roof of a nearby house, then morph into a demon to fly up and retrieve them.

Edited by Vindekarr

Thank you both for your replys, it was very helpful. I think oblivion it is. Last question though, is it tough to mod? How does ease of modding of Oblivion and F3 compare to Dragon age? I am still very new at this and if one game has a big advantage in this area it could sway my choice.

Definitely go with Oblivion. I'm not sure what it was about FO3 exactly, but I didn't like it much. It's definitely not nearly as good as Oblivion.

As for modding them... much easier than DA, I think. Just copy the plugin files into the right folder, then enable them in the game. If you have lots of mods, there's a few more complications to worry about - such as load order and compatibility - but nothing too complicated.

Thank you both for your replys, it was very helpful. I think oblivion it is. Last question though, is it tough to mod? How does ease of modding of Oblivion and F3 compare to Dragon age? I am still very new at this and if one game has a big advantage in this area it could sway my choice.

No problem.