how combat should work

jack254

I love Mount & blade combat system, i has some minor flaws, but it works quite well with most weapons.

i would like to see just a tiny bit of complication considering using a shield is your best option.(Ive tried fighting without a shield and in a real battle where the A.I. seems to single you out it's just about impossible to stay alive on foot.)

I love the momentum idea though.

Also attacks shouldn't be repetitive.

A cool idea would be that in a addition to your birth sign, class etc you choose at the beginning of the game, you also choose a fighting style. I.E. fast/fancy ninja style, dual wielding Drizzt Do'Urden style :thumbsup: , heavy slower fighter etc.

I think the idea that a lot of you are getting at can be articulated in two words: Skill Synergy.

Imbuing destruction spells onto your weapon at the cost of additional magicka, etc. Basically if you have two or more skills that have reached a certain level, you gain certain abilities.

Edited by LotM

I have a few ideas that I'd like to see in the game:

Shield-bashing - If the enemy somehow overwhelms you and you need some breathing room, it would be good if you could use your shield to knock back some of the enemies. It could also be used as a weapon in which bashing would do damage to the target.

Stabbing - I always found it strange that when wielding a dagger in stealth mode, when you attack your character would perform a slashing move. I think it'd be better if your character would stab the target instead.

Tactics - If you're being chased by a faster and stronger opponent, then being able to damage the legs by slashing at them would slow it down, introducing the crippled limbs system from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Yielding - If a weaker enemy or NPC is disarmed, their should be a chance for them to stop the combat and retreat. Same would work if their weapon has been destroyed.

Partial Incapacitation - If you've been beaten in a fight but was almost about to kill the enemy, then instead of dying immediately, you'd be lying on the floor. However, just as the enemy is about to finish you off, you swing your sword one last time and the enemy falls to the ground in a heap. You can then get up and recover.

Well i couldn't read jack254's post and not reply to let you know, that I think you couldn't be more right! I am in total agreement about everything. As much as I would love to be able, to experience that level of combat in a game, I don't think we are going to be able to. Not with Skyrim anyway. :( Edited by MizerD

• 1 year later...

I don't think combat is broken, but there's a few things I'd like to see for my personal experience. Either in Mods, or DLC.

1) Some Way to KO. I'd probably add a perk to the Sneak, or Block Tree, so that a bash from behind, with Stealth has a chance of Paralyzing/Knocking out the target. Would be real useful for Goldenglow, where you have to get past an army of mercenaries, preferably without killing them.

2) Perks for using the Spellsword combo. Not getting into classes here, it seems a bit of a Berserk Button for some, but some synergy between Destruction, and 1 handed, like decreasing the spell charge time with a weapon in the other hand, not unlike Dual Flurry. As Destruction is the main offense for this kind of build, I'd put it there, opposite Dual Casting. (I already have this in the Classic Classes mod but it increases damage.)

3) Fix Destruction, allready. I understand it's for balance, but this is one place where I consider it broken. I shouldn't have to retard the advancement of the entire game (By building Pures) to make Destruction competetive. Another rank of Augment Elemental perks at 90 Destruction would help a lot.

4) Yeah. Spears. These were THE longarm of choice for 200,000 years of our history, from before the advent of Agriculture, and use of fire to the Musket and Pikes combo that dominated the Napoleonic Era, and the Zulus of the 19th century. Also, Javalins, so pure Warrior types can get on the hand/ranged combo like spellswords, without using Magic. Just give them weight, so you can't carry an infinite amount like Arrows, and more limited range. They should be moderated by armor, unlike Firebolt, for instance, to keep them from being OP. Come on guys, I saw a Lu Bu kata from the Game Jam a week after Skyrim was released. Do they impliment it? No, we get Vampire Lords.