How to resize and/or move UI elements?

SpazmoJones

Hey X - I'd like to find out more about how to add custom graphics to LW. Do you have any info available that explains how to do this?

That depends on what you mean by 'custom graphics'. If you're talking about the game's UI you see various different elements in play there, like vector shapes (mostly borders and the like), raster images (for instance icons), text fields, and so on, all linked together using timelines (i.e. animations) and scripts.

If you're specifically referring to the paragraph about dropping images (i.e. textures) into a UPK so you can reference them using "img://..." paths, you can do that using the Unreal Development Kit. There's a bit of information on the wiki about that.

Thanks for that. I had a look at the wiki, and now when I try to import my png images into Unreal I get a "import failed" error.

I right click and select 'import', then I type in my package name, then I click 'build from path', then I select TEXTUREGROUP_UI for the LODGroup. I click 'OK' and get 'import failed'. What am I missing here?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I updated my 'Show Deployment Position' mod to use custom graphics and now it looks like this:

http://static-8.nexusmods.com/15/mods/151/images/537-1-1429310329.jpg

Unfortunately the file download for the mod is returning the front page of the nexus web site instead of the zip file. Very strange. http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/537/

I've also noticed issues with updated images not being refreshed correctly, or taking many refreshes to appear correctly.

JCLewis is gonna sue you for copyright infringement -- somehow! :D :laugh:

Anyone has a safe-self-zooming device, so that we can at least double-up the size of these beautiful Dotty-Groups -- if relocated, ya know where? ;)

I updated my 'Show Deployment Position' mod to use custom graphics and now it looks like this:

[snip]

Nice job, I like the minimalist design of the icons.

If I had to nag, the empty space along the left and right edges of the formation images bugs me. I think it would look nicer if the formation would be aligned like the commanding/promotion symbol (and also so the 'Commanding' string and soldier name's left edge are flush). I've had a look at your images, I think you could slim them down to 16x24 to remove the dead space. If you need more fine-control you can always make the images larger (like double dimensions, 32x48) and shrink them down using the width/height attributes of the img tag you injected.

As for the color choice, not a fan of the white-on-cyan which gets overridden by the yellow color transform on commanding/promotable soldiers anyway, so why not go cyan-on-cyan as well? You could also make the smaller dots have less alpha to make the bigger dot pop more (similar to like the class name text field uses 50% opacity).

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to pixel-pushing, so, sorry about the nagging :) Keep on rolling :thumbsup:

[snip]

Nice job, I like the minimalist design of the icons.

If I had to nag, the empty space along the left and right edges of the formation images bugs me. I think it would look nicer if the formation would be aligned like the commanding/promotion symbol (and also so the 'Commanding' string and soldier name's left edge are flush). I've had a look at your images, I think you could slim them down to 16x24 to remove the dead space. If you need more fine-control you can always make the images larger (like double dimensions, 32x48) and shrink them down using the width/height attributes of the img tag you injected.

As for the color choice, not a fan of the white-on-cyan which gets overridden by the yellow color transform on commanding/promotable soldiers anyway, so why not go cyan-on-cyan as well? You could also make the smaller dots have less alpha to make the bigger dot pop more (similar to like the class name text field uses 50% opacity).

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to pixel-pushing, so, sorry about the nagging :smile: Keep on rolling :thumbsup:

Better?

http://static-6.nexusmods.com/15/mods/151/images/537-1-1429406304.jpg