Error when installing mods on Oblivion.

RemonaLynn

I frequently install mods of my Steam Version of Fallout: New Vegas. I've almost never had any trouble with them.

However, when playing Oblivion, while the mod installation method seems like it should be the same, it continues to act up.

The Error is as follows: I manually install as normal through Program Files to the Data folder, but then when extracting the data and etc, etc... an error message pop-ups basically saying that it can't find the path, or the path can not be created and none of the files go through... so no mod.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm currently still hunting for the issue myself, but any suggested information would be appreciated.

If it helps, I do have Shivering Isles installed.

It is up-to-date.

I frequently install mods of my Steam Version of Fallout: New Vegas. I've almost never had any trouble with them.

However, when playing Oblivion, while the mod installation method seems like it should be the same, it continues to act up.

The Error is as follows: I manually install as normal through Program Files to the Data folder, but then when extracting the data and etc, etc... an error message pop-ups basically saying that it can't find the path, or the path can not be created and none of the files go through... so no mod.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm currently still hunting for the issue myself, but any suggested information would be appreciated.

If it helps, I do have Shivering Isles installed.

It is up-to-date.

If you have Windows 7 or Vista, your problem is windows security is protecting your game from your mods. There are basically two methods to fix this:

1. NOT RECOMMENDED. Turn off Windows User Access Control (UAC). This leaves your computer vulnerable to infection by malware.

2. Uninstall your Oblivion game, and then reinstall it somewhere other than under c:|Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86). Many of us use c:\Games\Oblivion for our install directory. This will put the game in a directory that Windows does not really care about defending vigorously - so your mods and tools will work without headaches.

are you sure you know the data folder location? if its on steam, should be similar to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\oblivion\Data. What mods have you tried to install? Its also better to first extract somewhere temporary, to open it up and look at the readme, and reorder/remove some files if needed

Edited by nisen

I had a similar problem when Oblivion was installed in my programs folder (running Vista.) Uninstalled and reinstalled into my games folder. When I pull up the default Oblivion page with data files and settings (the one that comes up when the disc is inserted), it would say it could not locate data files. OBMM could still find them and loaded them fine. Also, since I launch Oblivion with script extender, I don't get any data file errors and all mods show up fine.

Just posting in case you have this problem. :D OBMM always knows where your files are as long as you put it in your Oblivion folder.