VATS melee, anyone?

WizardOfAtlantis

So what are your ideas on the possibility that VATS-style combat could enter into TES V?

I think it could be really cool. It's already a system for implementing locational weapon damage, crippling effects, etc. Archery is a perfect parallel to guns, though melee attacks would have to become location-specific but that shouldn't be too difficult for Bethesda. It sets up a possible tiered special attack and/or combo system as well. It could even open up a type of Bullet Time (Sword Time?LOL) possibility.

Right well i think it would be awesome, however i think it should have a time limit so its more like a slow mo i guess. be good if it was all dependant of level, skill etc.

NO WAYS!! VATS was the biggest fail EVA

If its put in TES V i will spend all my time finding a way to delete it. It made combat so borring, Bethesda if you see this take my advice dont put it in.

NO WAYS!! VATS was the biggest fail EVA

If its put in TES V i will spend all my time finding a way to delete it. It made combat so borring, Bethesda if you see this take my advice dont put it in.

dont get me wrong i agree with you, however i think for it to appeal to the masses it should be in but heavily reduced, like if it was slow mo

You would only need to slow down/stop time if the enemy were some distance away and you were shooting him/her. In melee, targeting body parts would be easy enough without any VATS-like system. Really, it's all about wether they choose to include location-based damage. A particular strike that inflicts location based damage could be cool.

I totally agree with jermungand. But im 99% sure a locational damage has been put in, if a single modder can do it and bethesda can do it in fallout why not in their very own engine. I think rather make it like Deadly Reflexes, slows down lets you aim your shot but doesnt pause.

I think the only reason that the "VATS" mode was put in to Fallout 3 was to make sure people who were fans of the series could ease into their adaptation of the Fallout IP. To make it seem more like an "old school" turn based RPG and less like an FPS. At least that's the only reason that I can think of to have added it in the first place. I doubt they will be using any system like it in TESV.Or at least I hope.

Have anyone played Red dead revolver redemption? I would like a system similar to that one, where you can slow down time, mark several targets, over the same thing/person or over different ones, and then let your character execute the attacks. And in my opinion how much time you have to aim and how many marks you can tag should depend on your stats and skills.

EDIT:

In FO3 and FONV, I usually just aim with a sniper and shoot. VATS accuracy fails horribly. I can hit a head with sniper, no VATS, but when I try WITH VATS it misses. Every time. Thus, I say to VATS, "You are the worst thing to happen to any game."

Vats isn't made to shoot targets at great distance, it's just for those situations when you find yourself over-run with enemies all out of sudden and at close distance, that's why pistols and smgs have such a low AP consumption while must rifles won't make more than one or two shoots out of all your action points.

Edited by zombie00