Monetized Mods

mlee3141

I'll always continue working in a free manner, and won't be buying mods from the Workshop. I respect that modding is labour intensive, and if you want paying for that, well that's each modders decision; I respect their decision to do that.

Personally I would like to see the Nexus step up to the plate and really show up Valve/Bethesda by making a more prevalent Donation system, that way people can still be paid quickly and easily, but it's entirely optional, and keeping in the spirit of the community we are a part of.

Already being worked on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another big con that nobody seems to realize, right now the community is open and shares almost everything with each other, what do you think will happen to this in the future if money comes into play?

To ensure your mod remains most popular, mod authors will keep their own assets and knowledge only to themselves, this is done to avoid competition and to ensure the most profit, if you share anything then you only feed your competition and this will mean less money for you.

So by being a good guy that helps people, you will lose money, so of course modders will become self-centered and the community we know now will disappear.

How many mods do you guys think would be here today if they did not have any assets from other modders resources, or stuff like tutorials floating out there???

Sry but I can't fathom why people would even think monetizing mods is a good idea, it will turn an open community into a market where your only goal is to make money, the quality and quantity of mods produced with a "market" system like Steam wants it to be will be just a fraction of what it is today.

I made 2 mods and I'm pretty proud of them, however if it wasn't for all those modders resources I'm using, or the 100's of tutorials I watched, or the personal assistance from dozens of modders here on the Nexus, then I would not have been able to make any mods!

This Steam market system will only work out for people who can create their own stuff, meaning you need advanced knowledge of mesh editing programs like MAX3DS, then you also need advanced knowledge of a texture program to create your own textures, then you also need to know how to implement those things and how to create scripts and all that stuff.

In short: the little guy will have nowhere to turn for help, and how many legendary modders do we have right now that started out small, but they got better over time due to the help of the COMMUNITY because information and assets were shared OPEN AND FREELY.

Just imagine for a second that SKSE had to be paid for, lets say 10 bucks, so every single mod that wants to use SKSE plugins first needs to pay that 10 bucks.

You want to use some more modders resources, pay another 5 bucks here, another 5 bucks there, rinse, repeat...

Imo this kind of system will only destroy the modding scene, new modders will have no chance to survive in this greedy and toxic environment.

If you like the 50.000+ mods we have for Skyrim now, then enjoy it while it lasts because if new modders are not encouraged and nourished in an open and free environment then not many mods will see the light of day in the future.

All very good points, and points I hadn't considered yet.

Apollodown and I have both hidden all our mods in protest of the paywall of SkyUI 5.0 and paywalled mods in general.

If you wish, do fhe same.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

Lets prepare for the moment when you will only be able to enjoy game-fixing unofficial patches and must-have mods for Fallout 4 only if you pay.

Dont worry, there will be enough one-click host links for the popular paymods (not saying i support this, i just think this whole situation will encourage mod theft and piracy)

Apollodown and I have both hidden all our mods in protest of the paywall of SkyUI 5.0 and paywalled mods in general.

Join us!

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the only thing that will do is further infuriate the community. Not sure about the rest of the SkyUI team, but Mardoxx seems to have made it fairly clear in the SkyUI comments that he has no interest in placating the community. [sigh] This whole thing has gotten out of control. Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath and calm down.

Join us!

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the only thing that will do is further infuriate the community. Not sure about the rest of the SkyUI team, but Mardoxx seems to have made it fairly clear in the SkyUI comments that he has no interest in placating the community. [sigh] This whole thing has gotten out of control. Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath and calm down.

Perhaps. My issue is that, if everyone calms down, it might not be reversed. Which is the one thing that I want more than anything.

The community isn't interested in being placated at the moment.

The SkyUI/MCM that people have grown to love and depend on isn't going away. It's right where it's always been and the team are now planning an update that wasn't originally going to happen.

Version 5.0 will have the new crafting menu if you're willing to pay for it. Version 4.2 will be free and gets some bug fixes that weren't worth their trouble to release before (including one for the favorite items getting removed from groups when they shouldn't).

What I see is a community in riot mode with folks like Apollodown and Matthiaswagg vandalizing their own neighborhood out of a sense of frustration.

I don't like the new curated mod scheme, but I like the angry mob response even less. And if I have to choose between the two I'll take the curated mods.

Another big con that nobody seems to realize, right now the community is open and shares almost everything with each other, what do you think will happen to this in the future if money comes into play?

To ensure your mod remains most popular, mod authors will keep their own assets and knowledge only to themselves, this is done to avoid competition and to ensure the most profit, if you share anything then you only feed your competition and this will mean less money for you.

So by being a good guy that helps people, you will lose money, so of course modders will become self-centered and the community we know now will disappear.

How many mods do you guys think would be here today if they did not have any assets from other modders resources, or stuff like tutorials floating out there???

Sry but I can't fathom why people would even think monetizing mods is a good idea, it will turn an open community into a market where your only goal is to make money, the quality and quantity of mods produced with a "market" system like Steam wants it to be will be just a fraction of what it is today.

I made 2 mods and I'm pretty proud of them, however if it wasn't for all those modders resources I'm using, or the 100's of tutorials I watched, or the personal assistance from dozens of modders here on the Nexus, then I would not have been able to make any mods!

This Steam market system will only work out for people who can create their own stuff, meaning you need advanced knowledge of mesh editing programs like MAX3DS, then you also need advanced knowledge of a texture program to create your own textures, then you also need to know how to implement those things and how to create scripts and all that stuff.

In short: the little guy will have nowhere to turn for help, and how many legendary modders do we have right now that started out small, but they got better over time due to the help of the COMMUNITY because information and assets were shared OPEN AND FREELY.

Just imagine for a second that SKSE had to be paid for, lets say 10 bucks, so every single mod that wants to use SKSE plugins first needs to pay that 10 bucks.

You want to use some more modders resources, pay another 5 bucks here, another 5 bucks there, rinse, repeat...

Imo this kind of system will only destroy the modding scene, new modders will have no chance to survive in this greedy and toxic environment.

If you like the 50.000+ mods we have for Skyrim now, then enjoy it while it lasts because if new modders are not encouraged and nourished in an open and free environment then not many mods will see the light of day in the future.

Well said

The community isn't interested in being placated at the moment.

The SkyUI/MCM that people have grown to love and depend on isn't going away. It's right where it's always been and the team are now planning an update that wasn't originally going to happen.

Version 5.0 will have the new crafting menu if you're willing to pay for it. Version 4.2 will be free and gets some bug fixes that weren't worth their trouble to release before (including one for the favorite items getting removed from groups when they shouldn't).

What I see is a community in riot mode with folks like Apollodown and Matthiaswagg vandalizing their own neighborhood out of a sense of frustration.

I don't like the new curated mod scheme, but I like the angry mob response even less. And if I have to choose between the two I'll take the curated mods.

It's a matter of making a statement in protest. And when Apollo first did it I wasn't sure about it, but I believe that it DOES make a statement and it's a statement against something I'm finding fundamentally wrong.

However, your opinion is one that's completely valid and understandable. I get it, and, you're probably right in some ways.

Also, a bit off topic - isn't the word curated about gardens or something?