Monetized Mods

mlee3141

I agree with Matt. If this isn't headed off fast, then darker days will be ahead. I don't like corporations messing around with the free modding community, and I certainly think staying true to our vision and philosophy is worth more than any amount of coin.

Consider my mods hidden, until this atrocity is stopped.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a good portion of my twentys modding half life, CS, DoD, long before source mind you. I am in my early 40's now. I will not pay for mods. I had thought of downloading all the tools and modding some skyrim myself and if I liked it enough put it up for download, but not now. I am not going to take my time to one learn the tools, two spend untold hours making textures, models, animations etc.. to have it stolen by someone who wants to charge 5 dollars for a single weapon, helmet whatever. Far too many games get ruined when you start addign the pay-to-play mentallity.

Do not misunderstand me, I do know the amount of work it takes to make good mods, maps, models, animation, items etc.. been there done that. But these are made for the love of the game, the enjoyment of making a new dungeon, pathing out the AI, scripting a fight etc... Learning the art of the craft, for some in the hopes of building a portfolio to try to get a job with a gaming company. I worked on many full blown stand alone mods for half-life/DoD but never for money. But I cannot justify paying for mods. Release your own indie game and charge for it, fine I may buy that if it catchs my eye.

I can play this old game without mods, or I can quit playing it all together, it won't hurt me one bit to find something else to do. It may also motivate others to learn to mod to make their own things and never buy or download any mods. There are 2nd and 3rd order effects Valve/Steam etc... have not thought of, nor do they care about. They are a business, they care about money. If they can get more money out of you for an old game that you got cheap on sale, all the better for them.

I'm very mixed on this. On one hand, there could be some more quality mods that arise as a result due to funds being made available to finance resources such as a recording studio and so on, and could allow for talented individuals to contribute to epic DLC-sized mods and be rewarded for their efforts. On the other hand, it could easily end up being a case where greed will quickly takeover or people just try to monetise "pretty mods" that lack substance in general.

On that note, if I am able to crack the ammo tempering issue and release a script mod, I wouldn't mind some form of compensation if it took me quite some time to figure out, though I'd set it to be voluntary donations only like I have currently have done with my manually created fine, superior, etc. versions of the vanilla and DLC arrows and bolts.

Edited by Notanon81

I'm very mixed on this. On one hand, there could be some more quality mods that arise as a result due to funds being made available to finance resources such as a recording studio and so on, and could allow for talented individuals to contribute to epic DLC-sized mods and be rewarded for their efforts. On the other hand, it could easily end up being a case where greed will quickly takeover or people just try to monetise "pretty mods" that lack substance in general.

On that note, if I am able to crack the ammo tempering issue and release a script mod, I wouldn't mind some form of compensation if it took me quite some time to figure out, though I'd set it to be donations only.

Bullcrap it will not allow for ANY mod of great quality, take falskaar, lets round to 800k d/l, lets throw that in at 2$ a download, 1.6 million seems good for revenue, thats what 400k to velicky, took him a year to do it reasonable enough, how many voice actors? How many testers? How many musicians, I lost count his credit list is actually looking longer than discworlds at the moment. Looks like they could be allotted 5k a piece?

5000 DOLLARS ID MOD FOR THAT!! oh yea baby, that 5k allowed for some serious quality, he was able to pay rent for most of the year, then starve, oh wait he doesnt get this money till AFTER the mod is released, so he just plain starved. Oh wait he did early access? and sold all that in a month, then stopped making the game and took off with his 5k and bethesda and valve split their 1.2 million and laughed all the way to the bank.

it is nothing but terrible, will only promote worthless content and drivel, rewards modders with almost nothing, it is garbage plain and simple

On that note, if I am able to crack the ammo tempering issue and release a script mod, I wouldn't mind some form of compensation if it took me quite some time to figure out, though I'd set it to be donations only.

Bullcrap it will not allow for ANY mod of great quality, take falskaar, lets round to 800k d/l, lets throw that in at 2$ a download, 1.6 million seems good for revenue, thats what 400k to velicky, took him a year to do it reasonable enough, how many voice actors? How many testers? How many musicians, I lost count his credit list is actually looking longer than discworlds at the moment. Looks like they could be allotted 5k a piece?

5000 DOLLARS ID MOD FOR THAT!! oh yea baby, that 5k allowed for some serious quality, he was able to pay rent for most of the year, then starve, oh wait he doesnt get this money till AFTER the mod is released, so he just plain starved. Oh wait he did early access? and sold all that in a month, then stopped making the game and took off with his 5k and bethesda and valve split their 1.2 million and laughed all the way to the bank.

it is nothing but terrible, will only promote worthless content and drivel, rewards modders with almost nothing, it is garbage plain and simple

LIke I said, I'm very divided about this. Could end up turning out great eventually, or pretty much sinking the entire ship, Titanic-style. The devil is in the detail.

Yea, it seems almost naive. Kind of like they assumed all mods are made by one person with either only vanilla assets or everything self-made. Then again I do not think big companies run into such things blindly. The possible cash rewards (think years ahead) outweigh every fan outcry, IP dispute, temporary dissatisfaction (noones going to boycott TES VI because of this) et altera.

25%? Well if the modders will scramble to the table of Valve and Bethesda hoping for scraps to fall on the floor, their choice. But I will not support them with

pittance when it is really Valve and Bethesda who profits from this. Given what modders get and what this is doing to the community, it is all just a sad farce

with both modders and gamers loosing.

The winners are Valve and Bethesda. Since I am sure there are people of delicate age here, I will not say what these companies can do with their greed.

The modders who jumped on this wagon must take some of the blame. You should have had more foresight and not whine on your Facebook profile over the

harsh reactions you get. You are in fact supporting Valve in this. What did you expect? Roses and a red carpet?

Edited by RastifanX