Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24657179. #24657319 is also a reply to the same post.

nekollx wrote:
Reaper0021 wrote: Because...well.....Gopher is a very very well known YouTuber/celebrity and isn't in charge of a major website with over 8 million subscribers while Dark0ne is and can be seen as the evil 'corporate' guy maybe? I don't know.

Exactly. Gopher makes a living creating content. I'm completely fine with that and am a happy consumer of his product. So why are modders, who also create content, somehow evil demons for trying to do the same? The mind boggles.

You are comparing apples and oranges (which is not to say that said modders are evil demons in my eyes)

You are comparing a YouTuber, for whose content no one has to pay a dime directly unless they want to, and whose content is plain accessible for anyone for whom YouTube works, with people who directly SELL an actual code product - all without the usual guarantees you get when buying something.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24677059.

Walruscopter wrote:

I wouldn't say he's completely open, but he seems to be as open about this as he is capable or willing to be which is better than most. Going further would be making a marter of himself, and while a noble endeavor for the betterment of everyone, it is also one that typically ruins your life.

For the rest you have to read between the lines and think of the implications of what he's said. He won't make an enemy of Bethesda means that Zenimax and Bethesda are pushing this and are willing to consider people enemies.

Grown up world is a harsh place filled with horrible people...for now anyway, so what he's said is respectable and him remaining where he is, without jumping on ether bandwagon is a smart tactical position. If Bethesda and Valve fail with this it will be because they screwed up, not because he did anything. Perhaps down the road he will tell us more of the nastier details, but until then this was good.

In response to post #24667554. #24668024, #24668224, #24668354, #24673899, #24674124 are all replies on the same post.

Moksha8088 wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: Well based upon the current verbage of the TOS, yes.

The new version of Wet & Cold is now the property of Steam. Even if that mod gets pulled (which it looks like it will be) for copyright infringement, it still belongs to Steam.

This is precisely what happened with Chesko's mods. Steam pulled Art of the Catch for Copyright, and when he decided he was done with Steam, he was informed that Arissa 2.0 would not be taken down, because it's no longer his to remove or redistribute. He DID manage to hide it, however, before he took his ball and went home.

That's what absolutely none of the mod authors who got conned into this or a single one of the proponents of paid modding have figured out yet. When you upload a paid mod, it ceases to be your mod. Steam can pull it down at will. They can alter the files at will. And there's nothing the mod authors can do about it.

And here's the real kicker; something EVERYONE needs to understand, about ANY corporation. Steam reserves the right to change their terms at any time, even the terms of a legally binding contract. There's nothing preventing them from withholding funds or stopping payment altogether to mod authors. There's nothing preventing them combining a mod's files with ANOTHER mod's files, and selling them as a new mod bundle. Once the mod author clicks "Agree" and "Upload", Steam can do whatever the hell they want with the mod author's files. And the mod authors have absolutely no legal foot to stand on.

Chesko found this out, and it caused him to ragequit.

Isoku is currently finding this out, and he's about to lose the rights to his bread and butter mod in its latest form.

Arthmoor has found this out, and based on the very few posts he has made since the 23rd, he is NOT happy with Valve or with the Workshop.

Let that soak in. Those are three of the top modders in the entire community. They've bought in to a CLASSIC confidence grift. And they got swindled.

Yes, they're going to get some money. And hopefully that will be some balm on their wounds. But they've lost a LOT of credibility and respect within the modding community. More importantly, they've lost the rights to their work. That probably hasn't even hit them yet. But it will.
popcorn71 wrote: I didn't know Arthmoor was involved in any if this. I would have thought he of all people would know better then to get mixed up in this...
phantompally76 wrote: Oh he's been hinting for years and years that he thinks he deserves compensation for modding. I knew he'd be one of the first to charge for mods.

If I'm honest, I'm surprised all the unofficial patches weren't included in the Sellout, er, I mean Rollout Bundle. I don't use them myself, because they break more than they fix, but I know a LOT of people do, and something like that would have caused the community to implode.
Moksha8088 wrote: Selling mods as a bundle?

So once Steam Workshop owns the Mod, does that mean they will support or develop the mod further from that point?

Can end users affected by this be part of a class action law suit?
mkess wrote: As I said before, distribution rights are very expensive, and you have to calculate the hours you worked on them into it.

They have been robbed. By st"EA"m. in open daylight.

If you take the "normal" income of a developer, take the sum BEFORE taxes, and company costs, multiply them with the hours you worked at the project.

That is the sum, you have to name, to be paid UP FRONT, for the exclusive distribution rights ONLY. the 25% comes afterward. No wonder st"EA"m must think that we all are "useful fools".

IF the EX-3rd party DLC authors are lucky, they can use their pre-workshop mod here on the nexus, as a base for their next mod patch, without getting sued from steam. But it's more likely, they will never ever mod again, because st"EA"m ruined their motivation, and their hobby.

And of course will these mods be all taken out next week. These new exploiting model from steam are basicly all "lawsuits to happen". There is no way, they can get all rights, or all people involved agreeing with them. Some will not agree on principle.

St"EA"m and Zeni$max do not understand the motivation of some modders, making a little better world, giving something back to the mankind in generell, to lighten up their karma a bit, or simply to master something. These people, as working like slaves for their hobby, do not care about money. Another reason st"EA"m is able to fool them, and more important, rob them their WORK, leaving NOTHING but rubble in their wake.

How does this really help modding, hm?

So I'm off, Playing some new detected skyrim mod.

Oh, and don't forget to deactivate the update function on st"EA"m. Or maybe a new patch forbids the use of free mods ....

This is exactly the case.

In response to post #24676199. #24676509, #24678579 are all replies on the same post.

MajorKuchiki wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: I'm taking bets this would never have been made public if it were not for the s**tstorm happening right now. Give yourselves a high five guys for the power and voice of the users! Proof that these communities really are strongest when they stand together.

Now lets make them address the rest of everyones concerns.
WightMage wrote: Our goal is to make modding better for the authors and gamers," Newell said in a Reddit Ask Me Anything thread. "If something doesn't help with that, it will get dumped. Right now I'm more optimistic that this will be a win for authors and gamers, but we are always going to be data driven."

Praise Lord GabeN, maybe there is hope after all!

THIS SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE COMMENTS SECTION!

Let's hope we can get some sort of response from the developer who's ill-executed idea this probably was. Edited by sunshinenbrick

I'm just saying and this is after browsing the paid mods on the workshop. The mods there are some of the mods that you get here for free, and the ones that arn't here arn't even worth the effort to add to your load order because they only add one thing, so I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over Gabe trying something "that will fail miserably" out. So yes I have never an will never get the sub-par mods from the workshop and I will continue to get mods from here or the other free sources.

SHOULD WE WORRY ABOUT THIS? No absolutely not, I know I'm not about to waste the time to worry about something that 1. I can't control and 2. could give a s#*! less about. All it comes down to is that if modders still do it for the love of it, instead of pulling an Activision then the community has life in it.

In response to post #24679034.

beavermoose wrote:

1. There are things that can be done as a community (who buy Beth products) to change things for the better
2. If you couldn't give less a s**t about this then why make such a comment?

You are of course entitled to say what you like but why put down people who are trying to fight for modders and mod user protection. Edited by sunshinenbrick

I love PC gaming, I love Steam, I love the Nexus. People can complain but I look at my poor Xbox 360 gathering dust and I can't imagine ever going back to being a console gamer. We have access to a ridiculously awesome amount of games from the smallest developer all the way to the big guys. We don't have to sell our organs on the black market to buy a new game or a 2nd controller so our friend can play. We have the ability to mod many of our games to nearly endless limits and great sites and communities like the Nexus that facilitate that.

Changes is scary and this is the internet, I get it. We still have it damn good though and while others argue I'm going to happily continue supporting this site, steam, pc gaming in general and go blast some mutants in Fallout.