Immersive Guild Quest Starter

BLARGARGY

The radiant quests in Skyrim are, in my opinion, a great way to extend gameplay longevity and just kick back and relax and do some simple, but potentially lucrative, adventuring. A large part of many people’s gameplay is immersing themselves in their chosen faction, which they do so by frequently undertaking guild-related quests.

Once you finish a guild you essentially become their leader, but in order to commence a quest you still have to ask your acquaintances for work! Shouldn’t a leader be able to commence quests by their own accord – shouldn’t they have their own account of quests, or a log book, or something that they personally oversee so that they are able to handle issues entirely themselves?

Beyond that, it can get really tedious having to hunt down specific individuals for a quest. Specifically, in the case of the companions, Vilkas/Farkas/Aela etc like to wander around and I swear Vilkas is always in his bed in my game. After taking only a couple of quests you quickly get sick of hearing Vilkas say "A citizen of the reach has been kidnapped...", particularly when taking quests one after the other. Also, if any of the Companions die, or if they just stop giving quests, like some of them have in my game, suddenly you're unable to enjoy their relevant quests.

My suggestion is that there be an alternate means of initiating these quests. For the Companions specifically (I’m sure this idea could work for the other guilds, but I haven’t actually done any others so my primary interest is naturally in the Companions), my idea was to have a static object, like a "quest book" situated somewhere in Jorrvaskr, which you activate in order to initiate a Companion quest. Upon activating the book, a list of the different types of quests available (like search and rescue, animal extermination, etc) come up, and you select which you want to deal with. Alternatively, there can be separate quest books dedicated to a particular quest type, labelled accordingly, which you simply activate to initiate a random quest of that type.

It would be fantastic if you could then receive your award upon completion of the quest by again simply activating that log. All this is easily justified in an immersion context by being a log book of quests that have been "written" by the companions that need fulfilling. Obtaining your reward from one of these books would be justified in the sense that you are confirming by "writing" that you have completed your quest and the subsequent gold reward can be explained simply as being a forwarded payment by the rescued kidnapee/commissioner which you then accept upon completion of your duty. If that’s not possible and you need to receive the reward by the companions themselves, that’s fine! My primary desire is that the way the quests are activated are altered for immersion purposes.

I've mentioned the Companions exclusively here but only because it's the only guild I've joined (in the ridiculous amount of time I've played Skyrim). I'm assuming the Dark Brotherhood and the College have similar quest structures so this suggestion also goes out to them. If not, then yeah, I'd love if this was just done to the Companions.

Again, the whole point of this mod would be to further the immersion of being a person of importance and responsibility in your chosen guild. It would significantly lessen the repetition of having to hear the same things over and over, like a broken record, every single time you try to do a radiant quest for your guild. By cutting the “middle-man”, it’s putting you, the player, in charge, as you should be. You shouldn’t have to rely on your acquaintances for work when you’re the leader of the Guild and are supposed to have access to your own information.

Having said all of this, I have doubts that anyone would be willing to work on this, but I figured there's no harm in putting this out there. I'd be immensely appreciative of anyone who could put the time and effort to make this possible, if it is. I can guarantee that many like I would really, really appreciate it!

TL:DR = I'd love an alternate means of initiating Guild Quests, or at least, the Companions radiant quests, that involves simply activating a log book found in Jorrvaskr, and once completed, obtaining your reward by activating the same/similar log book in order to simulate being in charge of the Companions and mitigating the repetition of hearing the same things over and over every time you try and commence a quest.

Something similar to the mythic job board? That could work.

While the guilds usually have epic main quests, some of them have almost no replayability(dark brotherhood have NO radiant quest ever). One of the best faction replayability i found was the dawnguard, but not every one can buy it and others have redundant quests...i guess that could've been exploited but it wasn't...everything isn't lost and still something can happens.

While the guilds usually have epic main quests, some of them have almost no replayability(dark brotherhood have NO radiant quest ever). One of the best faction replayability i found was the dawnguard, but not every one can buy it and others have redundant quests...i guess that could've been exploited but it wasn't...everything isn't lost and still something can happens.

Aw, that sucks, I didn't know the Brotherhood doesn't have radiant quests! Though I looked it up and found there is a repeatable quest in "Dark brotherhood forever" but I don't think it warrants this idea, since the way it is activated is very different.

I do have Dawnguard and very much enjoy it, I like how you are awarded with enchanted items that you can either keep or sell for profit. But I do prefer the way Dawnguard initiates the quests - there just seems to be a bit more variety with them, and IIRC you don't really become the leader of the Dawnguard, so having to ask others for quests is very acceptable (it can get a bit repetitive, but I find it it less so than with the Companions).

I suppose this request goes out specifically to the Companions, then. The way I imagine it could potentially be achieved (with my extremely limited modding knowledge) is to have a book in Jorvasskr that, when activated, initiates one of Farkas's/Aela's/Vilkas's quests. Different books would represent and activate different quests, and would be named accordingly. I know it'd be harder than I make it sound, so I don't blame anyone for not necessarily jumping on the idea, but if someone knows how I might myself go about doing this, that'd be appreciated!

Aw, that sucks, I didn't know the Brotherhood doesn't have radiant quests! Though I looked it up and found there is a repeatable quest in "Dark brotherhood forever" but I don't think it warrants this idea, since the way it is activated is very different.

I do have Dawnguard and very much enjoy it, I like how you are awarded with enchanted items that you can either keep or sell for profit. But I do prefer the way Dawnguard initiates the quests - there just seems to be a bit more variety with them, and IIRC you don't really become the leader of the Dawnguard, so having to ask others for quests is very acceptable (it can get a bit repetitive, but I find it it less so than with the Companions).

I suppose this request goes out specifically to the Companions, then. The way I imagine it could potentially be achieved (with my extremely limited modding knowledge) is to have a book in Jorvasskr that, when activated, initiates one of Farkas's/Aela's/Vilkas's quests. Different books would represent and activate different quests, and would be named accordingly. I know it'd be harder than I make it sound, so I don't blame anyone for not necessarily jumping on the idea, but if someone knows how I might myself go about doing this, that'd be appreciated!

Well, it sounds interesting and as i will try to gaze into the abyss, it could worth a try...i don't do any promises but you inspired me :)

That'd be great, and I really appreciate it! I'm happy I inspired you enough to at least look into it! :D

For curiosity sakes I started looking into quests that were activated upon reading a book to see if I could work out how to link a book with a companion quest in the CK but as soon as I begun I was already lost. :P Please let me know if you have any success!