Now that paid mods are gone, it's time to count the casualties..

Erinaea

The dramatic way you've said your blanket statements tells me otherwise. Woops?

Let's see if you can bother to drop into posts I was actually talking about.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2811569-petition-chesko-and-the-modders-please-come-back-we-love-you/

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2808154-whoever-fights-monsters-should-see-to-it-that-in-the-process-he-does-not-become-a-monster/

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2807954-donations-challenge-lets-make-it-happen/

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2808499-an-open-letter-to-modders/

... unless you're still lurking in Dark0nes post where it's filled with the same people blaming each other over and over again. It's always the noisiest people who seem to attract the most attention.

Edit: Okay, sorry for going passive-aggressive on you. I just can't take any more posts underlining what foolish mistake everyone (everyone? really?) has made by being vicious to each other. No, not everyone has been an asshat to everyone. There are plenty of people who have been perfectly civil to each other while giving their opinion on the matter. It just seems like we're stuck in some endless game of blaming the hell out of each other and it really needs to stop so we can actually heal the fractures that were created. I've got #modgate fatigue, I'm damn sure a lot of people have it too. We need to give it a rest.

Edited by Laereal

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nothing to do with Clairvoyance. I can read. I can read replies on other sites/forums, on how many people will no longer make mods, and publish them on Nexus. I will not post links to these comments, or mention who they are, as this toxic community has shown their true colors. You will never be able to count, or even understand the amount of casualties, as they are gone, and you will never see them again. You have shown your fourth point of contact, and as this is the internets, nothing ever goes away, it will be there forever.

This is nothing against Dark0ne... as unfortunately, they are also one of the casualties.

There are probably more than a few million other nameless mods that were scrapped and never finished or released in the last 13 years and we're still here.

There's always plenty of people who stop making mods and new one that starts.

I wouldn't care about the few childish people acting like they are punishing you by not making mods. Just tell them "ok" and move on.

There was a lot of drama and a fair number of people who became involved, but I don't think the community is going up in flames. The Skyrim modding community is a massive beast. It'll take more than a failed paywall to kill it. Give it a week, maybe two, this will all be ancient history.

I can say for myself that this event was nothing more than a momentary distraction. I'm working on projects and will continue to work on them with gusto until I can no longer do so or no longer have interest. As it stands, however, I'm a happy camper.

Edited by matortheeternal

I dont know especially what mods that is gone but more than 1000-2000 mods have disappeared from nexus over the last week. Some popular mods like midas magic is set to hidden and others is not available.

Anyway, if you can't let go of your anger stop being angry at the modders and turn your anger toward the source for this fiasco. Bethesda and valve screwed up this big time and they screwed over many good modders in the process. The modders was presented with an opportunity, and they have all the rights in the world to do what they want with their time and the mods they have created.

Anyway lets focus on uniting the community again and reach out a hand to those that was caught in the crossfire. oh a good news, SkyUi team will release skyUi 5.0 on nexus after next SKSE update :D

After all of this I know for sure I am done with modding, I had a number of armors that I wanted to finish and a couple of personal mods that I had thought about perfecting for the community but now I really so no reason to. Also I am taking down my retextures I really only uploaded those for a few people and they can always get it from me, I honestly feel disdain for the so called community of entitlement and their atrocious behavior these past days.

After all of this I know for sure I am done with modding, I had a number of armors that I wanted to finish and a couple of personal mods that I had thought about perfecting for the community but now I really so no reason to. Also I am taking down my retextures I really only uploaded those for a few people and they can always get it from me, I honestly feel disdain for the so called community of entitlement and their atrocious behavior these past days.

I understand your reaction and support your right to do that but please reconsider, especially taking things down. A relatively large group but still small part of the community have behaved badly. You may feel betrayed that more people didn't try to stop the insanity, but most sensible people actually avoid confrontations like we've just seen. Take as much time as you need though.

_My humble opinion_ I think, that living from modding is wrong way of life. It is a hobby. Neither more, nor less. For those who want to sit in front of PC and earn money for "HAAAARD WOOORK"- hard work is done in reality, not in blender, 3dmax or nifconverter.

Donations, like someone mentioned, are supposed to provide modder with a bottle of cola/beer/juice/pizza once in a while. Not every day, week and even month. But watching a hundred people downloaded your little creation and spending 1-2 bux donated for a pack of juice - means you are the part of smth that remembers the meaning of _sharing_.

P.S. bethesda's games are pretty at a first run, but later you come to realise that their games can be developed and enhanced WAY deeper those guys work on. They tried to charge for their laziness after failing with TESO. No job - no pay. Cause world is already full of "money for nothing, chicks for free"

Well I suppose you agree that poets, actors, game designers, software designers, YouTubers, reviewers, etc, should not paid for their work right? I mean they don't really add anything PHYSICAL to the world do they?

Not everybody has to be doing some traditional 1950's job in order to deserve being paid for their hard work. If you can sell something, you should be able to make money off of it. Whether it's through performance, personality, or software content. That's the way capitalism works mate and it's the reason that you're able to enjoy the video games you play.

My 2 cents about it...

For me the real problem is not even the system, but how it was made. When you simply throw the news at people you create this whole panic about the future... people moving things in this false hope of getting paying, in the illusion of living of it. Should Valve / Beth's had approach a few good modders early and propose a fair %, had they announce early what they were planning to do during the next whole year, transparent about it, things could have being different.

Lets face it, the few people willing to throw some cash on a 1 sword mod will eventually do it anyway but its not what most people would do. The marketing would stabilize things and only a few really good mods would be able to make some money... mods that everyone agrees the authors should receive some kind of compensation anyway.

People also has to understand that for someone that love making mods and dreams about being a game dev one day, receive an email from big companies like that asking for something is, indeed, a big deal. Its an incredible opportunity that could even open doors for future carrers. It really is a very tempting oportunity and not something that should be overlooked. I'm no real modder, but in my humble opinion, if after years of releasing free content the modders dont even have the right to TRY something new, then maybe this community has being too 1-handed anyway...

Edited by avallanche

Reading some of the comments here, I can see why a lot of modders are leaving. I would too if people were throwing hate at me for wanting to make some profit for my hard work. I was against paid mods only because I though modders should have gotten a lot more from their work, especially since after being out for 4 years the game still has obvious bugs (that have been fixed thanks to mods) that Bethesda still hasn't fixed. But the way some people reacted to it is just shameful and juvenile. Sending hate and threats to a modder whose mods you have used for years because they have paid versions of the mods? Disgusting. I don't blame modders for leaving and not wanting to come back.