Should government not hide informations from us?

antonkr

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should governments stop hiding information from us?

• Yes. We need to know everything!
    • They should release more of it, but not everything
    • No. I actually like being able to sleep at night.

"National Security" means security for the establishment, and its interests.

I know it sounds like I am throwing the US government under the bus. But things have gotten so far out of hand its just ridiculous.

Some of you aren't gonna like hearing this, but they need to start doing what works. Racial profiling as well as behavioral profiling. Its not little old ladies, or the soccer mom with her young kids that is posing a threat to safety. Its foreign citizens from the middle east. Searching everyone just to be politically correct and not offend Muslims is BULL****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w05jJ5H2pbc&feature=player_embedded

Stereotypes are never a good idea. Who knows maybe an american is hired by al-quaeda to plant a bomb on the plane. I do not agree with you on that. Anyone can be terrorist and the best way to prevent it is to make sure no one is.

I know it sounds like I am throwing the US government under the bus. But things have gotten so far out of hand its just ridiculous.

Some of you aren't gonna like hearing this, but they need to start doing what works. Racial profiling as well as behavioral profiling. Its not little old ladies, or the soccer mom with her young kids that is posing a threat to safety. Its foreign citizens from the middle east. Searching everyone just to be politically correct and not offend Muslims is BULL****.

What you state here is quite off topic. In order to bring it back in topic, let me remind you that the most terrorist live in the country they want to hit. You just don´t know because your government failed to tell you, thus making you totally defendless.

Depends on the information. IF they actually found an alien at Roswell and have it currently hidden at Area 51, I'd like to know. Does it really matter if I know? No, not really. If they intend to pass a new law without me knowing what's in it? I've got a problem with that. I'd like to have at least a general idea of most things that go through Congress. In those cases, I think transparency should be priority.

Regarding military: there's a reason they don't tell us. If the US was involved in capturing, torturing and killing a South American drug lord, I don't want to hear about it. They're doing what they feel is necessary to keep me safe. If we sent an elite squad of super l33t ninjas or whatever to kill some Communist revolutionary, I don't want to hear about it. I don't need to hear about it, and I really don't care. Sometimes it's better not to tell us. Everything we're told is probably somewhere on the internet, and if it's on the internet, that means it can be found by pretty much anyone. And I'm not particularly fond of the idea of Ahmadinejad being able to Google US troop movements because the US military is now disclosing it's every action to the citizens of the US. Or Al-Qaeda being able to Google the location of the Army Rangers hunting for them and find them on Google Maps by their homing beacon.

Basically: government shouldn't hide anything. Military can, and sometimes should.

Note: I include budgets of every sort in the government department. I'm not abject to having a 'black ops budget'. They want to do something shady and probably illegal? That's cool, just let me know each year how much of my taxes go to that quasi-legal stuff.

EDIT: I voted 2.

Edited by RZ1029

Depends on the information. IF they actually found an alien at Roswell and have it currently hidden at Area 51, I'd like to know. Does it really matter if I know? No, not really. If they intend to pass a new law without me knowing what's in it? I've got a problem with that. I'd like to have at least a general idea of most things that go through Congress. In those cases, I think transparency should be priority.

Regarding military: there's a reason they don't tell us. If the US was involved in capturing, torturing and killing a South American drug lord, I don't want to hear about it. They're doing what they feel is necessary to keep me safe. If we sent an elite squad of super l33t ninjas or whatever to kill some Communist revolutionary, I don't want to hear about it. I don't need to hear about it, and I really don't care. Sometimes it's better not to tell us. Everything we're told is probably somewhere on the internet, and if it's on the internet, that means it can be found by pretty much anyone. And I'm not particularly fond of the idea of Ahmadinejad being able to Google US troop movements because the US military is now disclosing it's every action to the citizens of the US. Or Al-Qaeda being able to Google the location of the Army Rangers hunting for them and find them on Google Maps by their homing beacon.

Basically: government shouldn't hide anything. Military can, and sometimes should.

Note: I include budgets of every sort in the government department. I'm not abject to having a 'black ops budget'. They want to do something shady and probably illegal? That's cool, just let me know each year how much of my taxes go to that quasi-legal stuff.

EDIT: I voted 2.

Never interested in that SA Drug Lord Might be innoncent, and got killed to cover up vital information about a US weapon deal. Remeber Iran.contra, Watergate, etc? Me living in Europe could be classified as "Revolutionary Commi" when I protest in front of my parliment.

Many cases never see the light of the day, if we don´t care.

What you state here is quite off topic. In order to bring it back in topic, let me remind you that the most terrorist live in the country they want to hit. You just don´t know because your government failed to tell you, thus making you totally defendless.

No sh*t shirlock. And they are foreign nationals, which they shouldn't be allowing into the country to begin with. The very last thing we need in America is more Muslims.

Take your xenophobic behaviour elsewhere, it's certainly not wanted here.

Edited by The Vampire Dante

No sh*t shirlock. And they are foreign nationals, which they shouldn't be allowing into the country to begin with. The very last thing we need in America is more Muslims.

Not cool. Period.

@Balagor

Watergate affect you any? Didn't bother me a bit. Iran contra? Meh, it happens. That SA drug lord who was actually innocent: I don't buy it. He was involved in something, if he was killed.

Guys lets get back on topic. I really wouldn't want to request moderator to close this topic.

Chaosblade is banned so be it. As much ignorant he is I myself am an immigrant in United States but it doesn't give me a reason to go off topic raging about his ignorance. This topic is about information and how it is available to us, not about terrorism and how it gets here.

Edited by antonkr

Should government not hide informations from us?

It really depends from the situation and what kind of information is being hidden and locked up. Some goverments hide information to protect there own nation with best intentions,

others may do it on a similar, not very visible and obvious way of misleading the people with information that is false or in any other way just common intentional disinformation, wich can lead into inconclusive facts and statements and finally leading people into a misunderstanding of the same thing.

There are so many reasons that speak for it and at the same time so many reasons against revealing the truth, in this case any reliable information(i cant be really specific since i dont know what matter and situations it involves here)

Do remember that most people are afraid of the truth, and i am certain that this is the majority in almost every country around the world, cause if it would be the other way around, we certainly would not debate it here.

Thing is... the goverment is the one in that controls the flow of informational output, and they will at the very end decide if they want to release anything reliable,

not mentioning that chaos and terror would break loose after such a release (wich i believe, would be a much more common case than to just accept it).

As curious as we human beings, we need to understand that the moment this information they witheld from us begins to affect us, we need to know outright, but if it doesn't affect us there is no need to know, Ignorance is bliss I say, if they wanna hold back on what actually happened at Roswell (assuming anything did happen, I have my doubts) fine by me, but the moment little green people start shooting at me with lasers all coming from the general vacinity of Area 51, then please tell me what you did to them, how they got here, and whats the quickest way to kill them.