Benefits of a Paid Modder - for the Modders, the Users, and for Business

RexSeptim

First of all I must say I still think it's really greedy by bethesda and valve to keep 75% of the money, becaus they haven't done anything for the particular mod.

Well, ok, valve is hosting the workshop, which does also increase their sales though.

Bethesda made the game and provided the modding tools, but they profited from all the mods crazy over the years in terms of game sales.

That being said I wouldn't be so sceptical of the whole Idea if they would at least lower their greed to 50% of the money.

Maybe the problem many people have with this is that there was little to no regulations and requirements.

As the system was you could just charge for every bulls*** mod.

And lets be honest very few people would buy a single sword for 1$ or something.

Or at least I think they should demand more for their money.

If the paid mod collection actually only contained big worthwhile mods like falskaar and other mods just as big it would be a completely different thing.

Obvisouly this wouldn't be the free and open capitalism most people seem to hope for.

My point is the paid mod collection should only contain mods that really feel like a dlc and are as big as a real dlc.

It has to be content that will keep you busy for several hours.

The criticism many people bring up is valid.

It will change the community to be much more competitive and people will keep their secret tricks even more than before just to have an advantage over

other mod developers.

Because even if it isn't exactly the same somebody could try something similar, and create a mod that could replace yours partially, which is pretty irrelevant in

a free-mod environment.

That's my suggestion.

Make the paid mod system only usable for big worthwhile dlc-like mods like falskaar.

Workshop users should be able to flag mods for not meeting this requirement.

If many people flag the mod as not being worthwhile it can be take down from the paid mod system.

That should be the basic quality control.

And before you start to scream, yes I made some small mods too, the most known one probably being AKM, which obvisouly wouldn't meet the requirement.

But that's alright because I never intended to sell it anyways.

Edited by Grasmann

Here's what i think. How many of you would pay for a mod ? I assume not many, unless you have a lot of money to essentially throw away and dont think mods should be free, because by buying a mod you are saying you think mods should not be free and the community should not be a community but a market driven by greed like all markets. Games are different, they are a complete product, Skyrim has hundreds of hours of gameplay, and still, do you buy just about any game ? would you make a mod with a new land as big as Skyrim and as many quests ? with the same quality in writing, world building, etc. Or would you release an armor mod and expect to make money of it ? Do you think other modders would help you if they arent making money ? do you think the sense of community would prevail ? i dont.

Essentially what im saying is everyone would work against each other, people would release crap and charge for it to make quick money and not many people would buy mods anyway so the modding community would DIE. Transforming into a market, and it would fail too, i bet it would fail miserably.

To those who think paid mods = better mods. I dont think so, modders who make great mods work hard and put everything into their work, that is why they make great mods, money would not change that, it would not improve their skills.

And those who believes Bethesda was doing this for the modders, seriously ? ...... seriously ?

Thats my opinion.

Edited by Wraithofdoom