Archive Invalidation causes game to crash

Well, title says it all.

I have only recently started modding Oblivion and downloaded a lot of texture mods. After I started noticing that some textures didn't show up I realized I forgot to activate Archive Invalidation, even though I used OMM with the Archive Invalidation option, and also used Wyre's Bash BSA redirection. Either way, no big problem I thought, since the BSA was in my data folder so all I had to do was put it in the .ini file.

I did, and as my save was in Bruma I noticed all texture showed up correctly. Happy I tried to leave and look at the other landscapes, but the minute I left the cell (So in other words, saw a loading screen) my game crashed. I couldn't fix it, so I deleted the BSA and tried to do it trough OMM again. When I did it trough that, I couldn't even load my save without it crashing.

I already tried everything, but the closest I got to seeing other landscapes was with Wyre Bash, and even then I couldn't leave my current cell. When I deleted everything related to Archive Invalidation I could play the game again, at the cost of HD textures missing.

So what's the matter here? Is this crashing the fault of Archive Invalidation or is there possibly something wrong with my textures and meshes?

EDIT: I actually meant to ask if the crashing was due to Archive Invalidation being installed incorrectly, not that there's something wrong with the plugin itself.

Edited by TheFoxQueen

Wyre and OBMM handle BSA Redirection with slight differences in the file name for the dummy BSA. Undo all of the changes from both (BSA and INI) and then pick one or the other but not both.

Wyre and OBMM handle BSA Redirection with slight differences in the file name for the dummy BSA. Undo all of the changes from both (BSA and INI) and then pick one or the other but not both.

I removed OBMM, the BSA and started with a fresh ini, but yet when I do it through Wyre Bash (So with a new BSA) it still crashes.

EDIT: So I've tested it out a bit more, and it appears I can leave Bruma and go to some other places, like Anvil. Like I said, some, since Cheydinhal and everything around it still crashes upon loading.

EDIT 2: Apparently if I don't use fast-travel when going to Cheydinal but do it by foot, I can enter, but the town's all weird. Some grasses and the ground are completely black.

Edited by TheFoxQueen

Are you certain you have all your mods correctly installed?

The quickest way to mod the game is install one mod at a time and test thoroughly in between. If you add one mod to a working game and run into problems it's a trivial matter to figure out where to start troubleshooting. I'm not big on "beatifying" the game myself, but I do recall reading something about problems with texture replacers causing crashing type problems.

Are you certain you have all your mods correctly installed?

The quickest way to mod the game is install one mod at a time and test thoroughly in between. If you add one mod to a working game and run into problems it's a trivial matter to figure out where to start troubleshooting. I'm not big on "beatifying" the game myself, but I do recall reading something about problems with texture replacers causing crashing type problems.

Before I activated Archive Invalidation my game never crashed, so it's unlikely it's caused by mods. The mods I have installed are the Unofficial patches, Natural Habitat/Vegetation/Water, Robert's male and female body replacer, All Natural Weather and Lights, OCO, Farm animals of Cyrodiil, Sounds of Cyrodiil, Children of Cyrodiil and Purge Cell Buffers.

So you might be right, it could be a texture replacer that is causing the problem. Where do I start though? Do you have any link to the article about it causing crashes?

No the comment was either on a mod comments or perhaps a comment in image share.

Could be the problem only surfaces after you enable archive invalidation because before you enable it the game is simply using it's default textures from Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa instead of the replacement texture. From your list I'd look at Natural Habitat/Vegetation/Water and possibly Weather All Natural (more than likely the former, but I use neither so I'm guessing that Weather All Natural doesn't include replacements for any ground/grass textures).

I think I recall reading something in Sounds of Cyrodiil mod comments about crashes too.

No the comment was either on a mod comments or perhaps a comment in image share.

Could be the problem only surfaces after you enable archive invalidation because before you enable it the game is simply using it's default textures from Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa instead of the replacement texture. From your list I'd look at Natural Habitat/Vegetation/Water and possibly Weather All Natural (more than likely the former, but I use neither so I'm guessing that Weather All Natural doesn't include replacements for any ground/grass textures).

I think I recall reading something in Sounds of Cyrodiil mod comments about crashes too.

Natural H/V/W doesn't change any textures, and All Natural should normally only affect the weather. SoC didn't seem to cause crashes before.

To go back to my previous post, my game crashed when I tried to fast-travel to Cheydinhal and the area around it. When I entered it by foot, I could enter but some grasses and the ground were completely black. I'll delete Natural Vegetation and see if it works.

Edit: Still nothing, although I noticed now Cheydinal does load, but I get a brief black screen and then it crashes.

Edited by TheFoxQueen

Try the "coc center wait" trick.

Open the console using the tilde (~) key found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type "coc center" (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You will be transported to an open field with some trees in the distance. Using the in-game wait menu (by default the "t" key) wait for 3 full days and then some extra for good measure. Open the console again and "coc weye" (again without the quote marks). You'll be transported to the fisherman's shack at Weye and from there see if your problem still exists (you can coc to another location when coming back if you know the correct location code for that location).

When using coc command, I usually use the Mages Guild buildings, as their their Editor IDs are the ones I usually remember, for they are all built like: name of the city + MagesGuild. So they are AnvilMagesGuild, ChorrolMagesGuild, SkingradMagesGuild, CheydinhalMagesGuild, LeyawiinMagesGuild and BravilMagesGuild. The Imperial City place is usually ICArcaneUniversityArchMagesTowerLobby for me, although it might no be as easy to remember as the other guild buildings. :smile:

You could also see how much normal memory and video memory the game uses before it crashes. In case it is caused by the game running out of either memory (the .exe is not 64-bit, so it might also be caused by it reaching its limit instead of running out of system memory, but I am not sure). Also, if you use Oblivion Stutter Remover, try changing the replacement heap in the ini, as some of them cause crashes to me when loading a cell. The ThreadHeap6 (if it was named that way) with size of 1024 has worked best for me thus far. There is the mod with updated tcmalloc (heap number 8 in OSR ini) and some other one for OSR, but the updated tcmalloc is a bit unstable for me.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I hope you will be able to solve the problem. :smile:

Edited by PhilippePetain