Archive Invalidation causes game to crash

Try the "coc center wait" trick.

Open the console using the tilde (~) key found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type "coc center" (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You will be transported to an open field with some trees in the distance. Using the in-game wait menu (by default the "t" key) wait for 3 full days and then some extra for good measure. Open the console again and "coc weye" (again without the quote marks). You'll be transported to the fisherman's shack at Weye and from there see if your problem still exists (you can coc to another location when coming back if you know the correct location code for that location).

Tried, problem still existed.

When using coc command, I usually use the Mages Guild buildings, as their their Editor IDs are the ones I usually remember, for they are all built like: name of the city + MagesGuild. So they are AnvilMagesGuild, ChorrolMagesGuild, SkingradMagesGuild, CheydinhalMagesGuild, LeyawiinMagesGuild and BravilMagesGuild. The Imperial City place is usually ICArcaneUniversityArchMagesTowerLobby for me, although it might no be as easy to remember as the other guild buildings. :smile:

You could also see how much normal memory and video memory the game uses before it crashes. In case it is caused by the game running out of either memory (the .exe is not 64-bit, so it might also be caused by it reaching its limit instead of running out of system memory, but I am not sure). Also, if you use Oblivion Stutter Remover, try changing the replacement heap in the ini, as some of them cause crashes to me when loading a cell. The ThreadHeap6 (if it was named that way) with size of 1024 has worked best for me thus far. There is the mod with updated tcmalloc (heap number 8 in OSR ini) and some other one for OSR, but the updated tcmalloc is a bit unstable for me.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I hope you will be able to solve the problem. :smile:

Tried placing it to 1024, but with that I couldn't even load my game :( I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640.

So you do use OSR? Or did you install it after reading my post? If you used OSR already when the issues with crashes on cell loads started, I would suggest uninstalling OSR and checking if the game works without it. Just to make sure it is not OSR that is causing the crashes (it is easy to make Oblivion crash with it by having it configured in a way that does not work for one's system). But I am not sure if checking that helps at all if the game works just fine with OSR but without texture mods...

So you do use OSR? Or did you install it after reading my post? If you used OSR already when the issues with crashes on cell loads started, I would suggest uninstalling OSR and checking if the game works without it. Just to make sure it is not OSR that is causing the crashes (it is easy to make Oblivion crash with it by having it configured in a way that does not work for one's system). But I am not sure if checking that helps at all if the game works just fine with OSR but without texture mods...

I was already using it. Tried disabling it, but it still crashes.

Why on earth do textures crash a game? I found some information on your graphics card, and if it really has 2GB vram, it should not be because of the game running out of vram. And I doubt you have paired that card with 1GB system ram, either. And if it is not caused by utilities such as OSR, what can it be?

If the game really works perfectly without the textures, I have no ide what could be causing it... :(

Why on earth do textures crash a game? I found some information on your graphics card, and if it really has 2GB vram, it should not be because of the game running out of vram. And I doubt you have paired that card with 1GB system ram, either. And if it is not caused by utilities such as OSR, what can it be?

If the game really works perfectly without the textures, I have no ide what could be causing it... :sad:

Although I am saddened I still can't find the cause, I'll give both you and Striker a kudos for trying to help me :)

Oh. Thank you. I know this is might be dumb question, but are you completely sure it is caused by textures, and not some other mod? Or if it is caused by using the textures together with some other mod? Yes, this is exactly what it sounds like - a pure guess - but I just cannot think of any reason why mere textures could cause crashes. Usually it takes a bad mesh, at least.

So I was wondering if you have checked if the game crashes with only texture mods installed? So that when all other mods are uninstalled and a new game is started with only the texture replacer installed, does it still crash? And I mean each and every mod other than the texture replacer and Wrye Bash (if that was the one you used). Even empty the OBSE plugins folder and move all added things (like any extra dll like version.dll from MoreHeap if you use it and d3d9.dll, as Oblivion does not come with one) away from the Oblivion root folder (where Oblivion.exe is installed).

That is a lot of work, I know, but textures alone should not crash a game. So if it is not caused by the game running out of memory, it could be the result of combining the textures with other mods. And when installing the texture replacer on a 'clean' game, it will make troubleshooting things easier when there are no other mods to blame - only the textures to practice archive invalidation with. Perhaps it might even work then, and tell us that the issue was caused by something else.

And when you have the folder in the same state as it was when the game was first installed (absolutely NO mods whatsoever), make sure the game runs fine before starting the tests with only texture replacers.

TheFoxQueen, I don't know if this will work but since the culprit seems to be the archive invalidation I think the odds are good:

First of all I would suggest a clean reinstallation but I do understand that right now might seem awfully tiring doing so. If you'll choose not to then just uninstall all your mods.

Install OBMM and Wrye Bash.

If you have archive invalidation active via ANY means, deactivate it.

Install every mod with OBMM unless it has it's own installer (like hi resolution skins for hgec). If a mod has it's own installer, use that instead.

When you're done go to Wrye to rebuild your bash patch like you normally would. When you're done with Wrye open OBMM again and let it load correctly (play with the options if you want to make sure) and then close it (I know, I know but just do it).

Cross your fingers, go in-game and check things out.

If that won't work then I can't help you I'm afraid. :/

Edit: About me saying to play with OBMM's options to make sure, don't change anything! I just meant that as a random way to check if the program is fully loaded. Sorry if I that caused any troubles.

Edited by Legotrash