Some questions about Voice Acting and the CK...

BigBizkit

So, I know my way around the CK, but one thing I haven't done yet is implementing voice acting. I know how to use the Unfuzer and create fuz from wav.

my questions though are:

• What are the parameters for the wave files? Is there e.g. a certain bitrate they need in order to ensure that they can be converted into useable fuz files? Do mp3's work?

• How do I link the fuz file to the line of dialogue in the CK? The way I see it, there is no way of selecting a file from e.g. a dropdown menu there. The only way to get a sound file there is to press record and e.g. record silence and then look at the file path and file name it generates and then replace that file with your real file manually.

The latter would mean I had to go through every line of dialogue, record silence for it, and then replace every silence file with my "real" files.

That would be monumentally tedious to say the least. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there is a different way.

While I assume by your questions that you have spent some time fiddling with it already, I still highly recommend this site's lengthy tutorial on voice acting stuff http://deck16.net/post/22645519500/making-a-unique-voiced-follower-in-skyrim-part-1 as it covers pretty much everything in good detail.

As for your specific questions, 44k 16 bit mono should be fine (not sure if it actually takes other formats, it is rather picky), I don't think it eats mp3s, and I've never found a better way to do it than to record a quick silence and then replace that.

As for "monumentally tedious", well, it's the CK :P

Each response has a specific ID. You go in, copy the ID a for the line, export the voice file to the folder/rename the voice file and place it in the appropriate voice type folders (path shown in CK window), when all done you want to go to Character-Facial animations- Yes and it will generate all LIP files. Then fuz.

I've done over 2,000 lines in 1 week like this. You'll be fine.

This is how I deal with audio if it's any help.

1. I record silence for lines

2. I place all my actual voice audio in to soundforge (there are free equivalents out there).

3. Back in CK, I copy the i.d. of the dialogue line (one at a time)

4. Select my audio file in soundforge and hit Save As (paste in the i.d.) and point it to the correct location.

5. Then back in CK I select the "from WAV" button - Select the directory link just above and then I press the "Generate lip file" button.

One of the good things about using audio software is that you can preview the audio and make edits or add processing at the same time.

Edited by skinnytecboy

BTW Skinny, you don't need step 1. You don't have to record the silence.

Well in my case, that creates the file for me to overwrite. Or have I been a numpty all this time :(

BTW Skinny, you don't need step 1. You don't have to record the silence.

Well in my case, that creates the file for me to overwrite. Or have I been a numpty all this time :sad:

You don't need to record something to overwrite. You just grab the ID from the response, and export/save as your file corresponding to that line to the appropriate voicetype folder. No overwriting required.