Some questions about Voice Acting and the CK...

BigBizkit

This is the workflow I've got. So, after making your quest(s) with all the dialogue and stuff:

1. Under "Quest Data" tab click on "Export Quest Dialogue," the resulting file can be found in your Skyrim directory somewhere.
  2. Open the file in Excel or some spreadsheet program
  3. Under "Filename" category, this is the filename of that line of dialogue all conveniently listed. Filename directory can be useful too.
  4. You can delete the superfluous categories and send this to your voice actor since it's a complete script.
  5. If your voice actor records everything in a huge block (hopefully in order) and did not separate and rename the lines themselves, open the file in Audactiy.
  6. Use the label feature: Select the line of audio, then go to Track > Add Label at Selection
  7. Name the label the corresponding "Filename" in your spreadsheet
  8. When you're done labeling all the lines, go to File > Export Multiple (uses the label as file name for each track)
  9. Now you can move/copy/etc. the voice files into your mod! Move the files to their proper directory location if you want to generate lips.
  10. To batch generate lips, well, I cannot find the button within the CK lol. I go to Steam, right click CK, Properties > Set Launch Options > Type in "-GenerateLips:YourMod.esp/esm" without quotes (creates .lip files from loose .wav files, not existing .fuz files).
  11. Launch CK, let it run until it closes automatically. I check for lip files. If it's successful, I remove that line from the Launch Options, if not something is wrong with the audio format.
  12. If your lips do not generate, make sure it is 44100 16-bit MONO. If your voice actor sends you a file with two tracks, be sure to convert to mono and delete one of them before you export. Gave me a lot of headache when CK wouldn't generate lips until I realized the files were stereo.
  13. Test audio in-game.
  14. Create Fuz files for final packaging (Unfuzer is great; check "Process .lip files" > Re-fuz).

Unfortunately lip syncing is still out of whack sometimes. I don't know how to fix it but most of the dialogue seems fine.

Edited by Ceruulean

BTW Skinny, you don't need step 1. You don't have to record the silence.

Well in my case, that creates the file for me to overwrite. Or have I been a numpty all this time :sad:

You don't need to record something to overwrite. You just grab the ID from the response, and export/save as your file corresponding to that line to the appropriate voicetype folder. No overwriting required.

True, but I find it nice to test with all silent lines to get through it faster :P

You also dont need to record each silent line you can just keep hitting save and itl use whatever was q'd up last.

BTW Skinny, you don't need step 1. You don't have to record the silence.

Well in my case, that creates the file for me to overwrite. Or have I been a numpty all this time :sad:

You don't need to record something to overwrite. You just grab the ID from the response, and export/save as your file corresponding to that line to the appropriate voicetype folder. No overwriting required.

True, but I find it nice to test with all silent lines to get through it faster :tongue:

You also dont need to record each silent line you can just keep hitting save and itl use whatever was q'd up last.

You can use Fuz Ro D-oh and it will allow you to test without the need of recording those silent lines in order for things to work in game. It essentially makes a one-size-fits-all voice file for any VA-less lines. Obviously you'd not want it to be used by everyone for your mod in full release, but it owrks great for testing.

Psh hitting save as I paste in the subtitle lines is pretty much nothing, also my whole policy on that DW folder staying only discworld would come into play :tongue:

True, but if you're going to have VA anyway - Fuz Ro D-oh doesn't place any extra files anywhere, just ONE silent voice file in Voice, not in a voicetype folder I think.