Intelligent Deathclaws

shinto9

Deathclaws: intelligent or savage?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather Deathclaws be intelligent or savage?

• Intelligent
    • Savage

@DuskWolf

There was a theory a few years back(AC was partly based on it) that genetics harbor memories.thats how instincts work. Ill see around and see if i can find the articles i read on it. But intelligent deathclaws would be so much more fun. I always thought they kinda had a potential to be something great but left half baked as Bethsoft is famous for.

• 3 years later...

Actually I think they were Reptiles that were experimented on by the American Government and turned into Biological weapons, using the FEV virus if I'm correct.

The only Intelligent Deathclaws were in Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics, they didn't build any citys either, they lived in a tribal family system and the only group shown was in Vault 13

This is true, but who's to say the same experiments did not exist in other regions of America? Who's to say that the experiments did not occur in some research facility in the Big MT?

You know what, I think I may make a mod that re-adds Intelligent Deathclaws...

Ok, I like your story. There is one flaw, they are extremely divers and adaptive right? What if the experiment succeeds. Even if only one or two of the five to ten Dethclaw children are successfully assimilated. That is still an success, and it would make way to a very cooperative future. One thing you didn't touch on would be the bad reaction from some. Lets say that all you said was used. Eventually the population of smart Dethclaws would start becoming large (do to their adaptability). Many of the human settlements and armies will become nervous. They would be right to be too. A larger, stronger, meaner, and potentially more intelligent race of beings is starting to take hold. There would be worshiper nuts saying that they are the next stage in evolution on this planet. There would be mass killings of both humans and Dethclaws. Could you imagine a Brute (Halo) or Predator (AvP) influenced team of intelligent Dethclaws? Its a frightening thought.

Well in STALKER fan sites there is a book.In this book some bloodsuckers are intellegent species.

Some but not all.The book is in russian so if anyone can read I will link you.

About the idea:awesome!!! I would love to have a philosophical dispute with a talking Deathclaw!!

• 8 months later...

I agree that FEV mutations could create harsh modification into any pre-war creature, such as the deathclaws (and others that were cut from the game) but not all deathclaws would have the same mental potential.

As far as i know the deathclaws are just one of several mutated creatures produced with a mix of radiation and the FEV, expelled onto the surface after the bombs hit Mariposa military base during the great war. Their first mutations into deathclaws evolved their intellect reaching the potential of regular mammals (primates for example). Furthermore few species were capture by the westcoast Enclave and experimented upon.

The enclave progress with deathclaws intelligence upgraded their smarts to a whole new level, reaching equality of reason with highly intelligent mammals (beyond primates but below human). Only westcoast deathclaws should be that clever, because they were the only branch deeply studied by the enclave. Eastcoast and Midwest deathclaws are supposed to have remained in their original "brain status.".

Fallout tactics missed that line and created a whole new type of deathclaw, the hairy deathclaw. since its origin is not clear and the game is not cannon we can speculate a lot about how they became intelligent. so would be easy to bring them "close to cannon". actually if i had the model i would attempt to create a mod including those in fallout (along with a bunch of tactics content, since i love the game).

Fallout 3 portrayed correctly the eastcoast deathclaws, since they were never experimented by the westcoast enclave AND the eastcoast enclave (being a weaker faction, perhaps without all research knowledge prior to their defeat) wasn't able to reproduce the experiment with the same level of success.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to contribute to such a old thread, but since it had a few posts recently(ish) here goes.

I'v started or contributed to several intelligent deathclaw threads;

Goris Companion, End of Ages Time of the Ghost Warriors, Humanoid deathclaw 2, Playable Deathclaw Hybrid Race and others. There is a lore friendly(ish) timeline/reality allowing for Goris (and his possible offspring) and Xarn (and his offspring). All other intelligent deathclaws were destroyed. I believe the canon ending also has Goris and Xarn as deceased without prodigy, but there is some wiggle room there because;

The males carry the intelligence gene and can pass it on if mating with unintelligent females "since the gene was made male specific and any intelligent male that mated with a non-intelligent female deathclaw would (most likely) produce intelligent deathclaws.[1]"[/size]

[1] is a footnote for the fallout bible.[/size]

Anyway I'v pitched ideas for them and would be willing to work up a mod if we have some decent material. I know a few tricks for using weapons/equipment with them, and have made up a few models,here is an example of one, Pic;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/wendigo_zpslorcvbqt.jpg