Going for a clean install--I wish

MuggleDude

I finished my first run-through of the game 410 hours, 3250 saves, thank you very much. I used about 75 mods.

So I started by backing up my save games/mod structure and game directories.

So I wanted to uninstall and make a clean install. Well, the uninstall program says i need to upgrade to Win98SE, Win 2000 or better. So, I deleted the main folder and went for a fresh install. The install program gives me the same error message. So right now I am reloading all my files so it will run the way it was.

Crossing fingers.

I know I haven't changed anything on my system since I originally installed it. I also remember reading about what you had to do to install it on Win 8.1.

(I even made clean copy of the game install before I started modding--I just can't find it.)

Any suggestions?

Here's two wiki articles that may help ... Oblivion reinstall procedure and Revert to vanilla data (the second one is a bit late to save you this time, unless you can locate that backup and it has some mods installed already).

If it's the disk version of the game the disk uninstall is the best route. Also don't skip the registry cleaning step.

Actually, those steps are what I was intending. The uninstall and install programs don't recognize the 8.1 operating system and shut down.

I just uninstalled everything that I didn't care much about and it has been working fine through Level 3--well not too buggy anyway. And saves are much faster.

Chip