Love Betrayed...

Lehcar

I still do not understand why Morrigan betrayed the male warden even though she claims to care for him, says she doesn't ever want to see him again and he can never EVER see their kid and runs off with their demon babe... it just doesn't make sense. My poor mage warden was driven into a suicidal depression after that. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif Edited by Lehcar

Morrigan and Flemeth do nothing but plot against you through the entire game. They both are just using you to gain their own selfish goals. That is, both were in the game just for the demon child. After that, you are of no use to them.

Of course, Morrigan gets a bit.. "defrosted" if you romance her but her behavior is still so selfish I don't really count it as love or care.

It's called plot development. You need to wait till you understand what's really going on as a player before jumping to conclusions. Besides, the only other DA related thing that she appeared in was WH and that didn't help as well. Wait for DA2 expansion or DA3 and above till you see Morrigan again and acknowledges you (Gaider is not that dense, he knows that people don't know what's going on with Morrigan). This one of those 'simmering plots' where you don't see the consequences till later on in the series. I know that you feel betrayed as a player but you don't know what BioWare has planned with Morrigan's subplot and neither does everyone who has romanced or befriended Morrigan. You need to wait, mage warden's time is over after Origins. After DA2, Hawke's time will be up as well. The next hero will rise up and meet people that we know and one might be Morrigan and the entire OGB subplot.

I could go on and discuss how Morrigan is being used as an unknowing pawn of Flemeth but that's not what this topic is about.

Chiming in as a "Morrigan Apologist" here.

If you keep in mind her isolated upbringing and complete indoctrination by Flemeth, (for Flemeth's own purposes, as we learn) her understanding of "power" and "survival" as paramount, vs. "friendship" and "love" as abstract (and foolish) concepts, and her almost total naivete regarding "normal" human relationships, then her actions and attitudes through the course of the Blight are a little more understandable. Perhaps even admirable, (or pitiable) depending on how much one shares her perspective to begin with.

I find the changes she exhibits and the degree to which she starts to question her assumptions about these things one of the most intriguing parts of the story. Depending on how you interact with them, all of your companions (well, except Oghren :tongue: ) undergo some sort of change in their outlook on things. Alistair can step-up to accept responsibility, Sten can concede that a non-Qunari might be worthy of respect, Shale, that a soft-squishy thing can be as well (shhh, we wouldn't want that to get about...) Zevran, that life can be about more than the fleeting pleasures of the moment, and so on.

But Morrigan (as written) is the most complicated character, and one who has to come to terms with feelings she's never experienced and thoughts and behavior she never expected to find in herself. In fact, she has been trained to believe these are failings to be ignored or overcome. No wonder she struggles against them, and that the very prospect of accepting them, of "falling in love", is more frightening to her than almost anything else.

Does she "betray" the Warden (if you play it that way)? Or does she protect her newly, and (to her) shockingly vulnerable, heart from what she fears will mean the loss of who she is? Of what she might become? Scared people do strange things and can make appalling mistakes. Proud, Smart, Powerful people make some of the biggest.

I still do not understand why Morrigan betrayed the male warden even though she claims to care for him, says she doesn't ever want to see him again and he can never EVER see their kid and runs off with their demon babe... it just doesn't make sense. My poor mage warden was driven into a suicidal depression after that. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

Nothing make sense when it comes to Morrigan and as the Grey Warden of DA:O we will never live long to understand that.

She claims love make her weak because she doesn't like the sense of dependancy. Yet she depends on the warden a lot, she couldn't do anything without him/her. Furthermore, having to love someone is natural. Even animals know how to love their cubs. We depend on each other wheter we like it or not. She depends on Flemeth to change her diapers when she's a baby, is she not? But then again, she could be either immature ( her own weakness ) or foolish ( again her own weakness ) to understand that.

Anyway, given the fact that there're 6 background stories and multiple endings, I don't really see how the writer could possible make sense of what happen in the past to be developed any further. So, whatever connection we have with Morrigan, will mostly be forgotten. Her betrayal, her true intention, her feeling and everything else will be lost forever as we ( as the one who once loved/befriended or even hated her ), will not there to understand her.

Witch Hunt is just a sign. The world will be forever changed and sadly we are not part of it. It's a new world. New heroes, new areas, new rules, new tactics and NO HISTORY. I bet that new world could not even remember our own character's name.

We need to move on and just accept it as one of the writer's flaw.

If I see Morrigan wanting to live forever with my warden and have a happy ending then (which many people want) I see it as a flaw in writing than to see her leave in that state. Problem is that we don't know how BioWare will acknowledge our warden in DA2 or beyond, will they do it like ME and send little letters (I'll bet highly unlikely) or will it be more personal (i.e Will Morrigan acknowledge her lover/friend). I don't know how the writers will address this problem but I don't think that they will leave it forever.

Another problem is that many people expect that the warden will be the primary protaganist of the series, like BG but BioWare never said that the series will go like BG2 where every single cameo was forced to you. I like it that they are moving away from direct sequels now (not like a few months ago :tongue: ) and exploring new ground without forcing our wardens to go down a level. I want to feel that my official warden is strong enough to fight without help and he didn't fell to bandits or space ships with lasers.

But back to Morrigan. Is her revealing that she is weak and depends on the warden to kill her mother a sign of a flawed character? No, it adds depth to the character. It makes Morrigan more than a certain female dog, it makes her a person that we can relate to. If Morrigan was a certian female dog though out the game without even speaking to her (which some people do in their walkthoughs), then she wouldn't be intreseting and we wouldn't have discussed her character here. So we need more information before we can conclude her motivations. Lets move on form the warden, he/she has save Ferelden from the blight in a space of a year, Hawke will cause the weaking of the chantry just under the space of ten years and hero from DA3 will do something improtant.

We have all played games with different protaganists before (Kotor series, NWN series) and there are book series that have different protaganists as well. This is no different, the fact that some people are hung up that they can't play their warden is the sign of false expections from their part. BioWare didn't promised us that DA2 will be a direct sequel of the warden, nor they promised us that we will have a toolset with each release of game from them. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh (and it may be harsh) but people need to let go of this false idea that you will have a happy ending with Morrigan. If you want to have a happy ending romance Leliana or Zevran instead, that will give you what you desire without feeling betrayed too much by Morrigan.

IMO, Morrigan is one of the most complex characters, if not THE most complex character in the game. All the characters make journeys of personal discovery, causing them to question their understanding of how the world works and how valid their picture of it really is - even our foul-mouthed dwarf learns to lay the past behind and try to build a new future. Without exception, all the characters are prisoners of their worldview that their personal "origins" have built around them - the game title works on may diffent levels in that respect. Unlike the other characters Morrigan has been deprived of more "normal" social interaction by her upbringing with Flemeth - survive or die, dominate or fail, manipulate of be manipulated, kill or be killed. As the game develop we are exposed to her interactions with each of our diifferent companions - to Morrigan their visions of the world are out of kilter with what she has known and her sharp, sarcastic tongue operates in permanent overdrive. All of them expose her to doubts as to the validity of her worldview, and she has difficulties in restructuring her understanding of how the world actually works. Claudia Black's voicing at times brought tears to my eyes when the frightened, fragile side of her nature is exposed - let's face it, a romance relationship with the warden is a mind-shattering experience; she learns that altruism and love actually exist in a world where she thought everyone is out for themself. Learning to trust must be an incredibly difficult thing to do when you've never done it.....

What we are never privvy to is her underlying motivation for leaving everyone at the end - is it for fear of hurting herself? is it fear of hurting the one person she has loved (if you take the romance opttion)? Fear of putting them in even greater danger than they've experienced in defeating the Archdemon? Is it just self interest and a desire to raise a highly powerful demi-God? All these questions, and many more are raised by the nature of her departure at the end of DA:O. I played Witch Hunt through half a dozen times before I was able to discover the "happy" ending, which left me flabbergasted. Still no answers as to what the future holds for her....

All of these factors make Morrigan, in my book, one of the most interesting game characters I've encountered. I look forward to seeing more of her in another context, with different characters around her - I only hope that Bioware is up to the challenge and can maintain and develop the credible complexity of her nature.

Well mb off topic a bit but I truly wanted the story to follow thru the wardens adventures, surely we dont stop living since the blight is over, I mean if one did the DR and not the US.

SO that being said I have hopes since awakening mentioned that my warden and her LI disappearred after that fiasco, that mb there will be a da 3 that will cover the ideas the rest of us have pondered, I have not played witch hunt through yet, but it sounds rather vague and sci-fi like, I like fantasy but i detest Yor type alien ships in my medieval realm games,!!!

I like Morrigans inner angst for all the reason ably described in all this, but.... having a child alone, and having for once felt the rumblings of emotion of human kindness, love [ friendship or passion wise] It is hard to imagine going back to the proverbial emotionless ice queen. basic human nature ; we all crave affection and companionship. Ask a single parent if raising a child fills the same void, Its rewarding in ways, endearing but the child cannot take the place of a soul mate so to speak. And that is not saying one is better than the other, but it is sought after [ love ].