replace unlock effect with one that lowers lock difficulty?

DMvO1

One of my beafs with oblivion is that the unlock spells are all-or-nothing. you either have one that can unlock the lock or you don't. and the ones where you really need help are the ones where you can barely ever muster a spell that can unlock them. my idea is to replace the unlock effect with one that lowers the lock difficulty. for example a spell that in vanilla oblivion would unlock up to a level 3 lock would now reduce the level of the target by 3 levels, so if you cast it on a level 5 lock it brings it down to 2 etc. if the spell reduces the lock all the way, for example casting a level 4 unlock spell on a level 4 or lower lock, it would unlock it. or maybe you could just have it bring it down to a minimum of one if that's easier. i think it would be pretty easy to do but i don't know scripts and i think whoever made it would have a very popular mod.

If only there was a SetLockLevel and GetLockLevel command in the CS/OBSE... Oh wait, there is.. lol, fail. this, this. lol, I could do this for you really quick I suppose, it should be simple... (I remembered setlocklevel is just "lock"... lol)

Edit: Finished Attempt Very Easy Lock. It unlocks a Very Easy locked door, and lowers the others by one. Once per door it can be cast (still experimenting on that.) so you can't abuse it.

Edit: Finished Attempt Easy Lock. I thought it would be "overpowering" (in a sense) to make it go down two levels. It only goes down one level, but unlocks all doors up to this level (in this case, up to Easy locks.) If you want that changed, I'll make it like that.

Edit: Finished Attempt Average and Hard Lock. Although its pretty simple to make them advance lol Just deleting a line of code and changing a few numbers and variables... lol

Edit: Added to Edgar's Discount Spells, but I would like to make it a 50% chance you fail. Multiplied by your luck (luck is 100%, it will unlock anyways though lol) If anyone can explain that part to me, I'll be thankful and hand them a kudo. (I know it has something to do with the *...)

Edited by Guest

In vanilla Oblivion, you can go to a spellmaking station and make a spell to make locks easier to lockpick. The effect is called Fortify Attribute Security. Locks are not picked in real time. Time freezes, so you can cast the spell for three seconds and that is long enough. You can make it as weak or powerful as you wish. If you make it Fortify Security 100, then you will hardly ever break a single lockpick opening very hard locks.

In vanilla Oblivion, you can go to a spellmaking station and make a spell to make locks easier to lockpick. The effect is called Fortify Attribute Security. Locks are not picked in real time. Time freezes, so you can cast the spell for three seconds and that is long enough. You can make it as weak or powerful as you wish. If you make it Fortify Security 100, then you will hardly ever break a single lockpick opening very hard locks.

Hey, I was having fun making my scripts :P

You could do that as well, but I'm making the spells anyways because its a cool concept... Everyone tries to spoil my fun :ermm:

As much as what you said makes sense, David - I personally prefer the idea of using magic to alter the lock so that it becomes easier. It seems a lot more immersive than simply using Fortify Security to make you a temporary master. Here is my reasoning:

• It would actually decrease the number of tumblers ("The spell got the first couple").
  • Fortify Security uses Restoration - this would use Alteration, for a "different approach".
  • For players who want to try to avoid 1-2 second Forty Skill effects on account of their making the game way too easy... well, this gives an alternative to that. :)

Keep going, Lord Frostcraig! :D

Edited by Lyncor

If only there was a SetLockLevel and GetLockLevel command in the CS/OBSE... Oh wait, there is.. lol, fail. this, this. lol, I could do this for you really quick I suppose, it should be simple... (I remembered setlocklevel is just "lock"... lol)

Edit: Finished Attempt Very Easy Lock. It unlocks a Very Easy locked door, and lowers the others by one. Once per door it can be cast (still experimenting on that.) so you can't abuse it.

Edit: Finished Attempt Easy Lock. I thought it would be "overpowering" (in a sense) to make it go down two levels. It only goes down one level, but unlocks all doors up to this level (in this case, up to Easy locks.) If you want that changed, I'll make it like that.

Edit: Finished Attempt Average and Hard Lock. Although its pretty simple to make them advance lol Just deleting a line of code and changing a few numbers and variables... lol

Edit: Added to Edgar's Discount Spells, but I would like to make it a 50% chance you fail. Multiplied by your luck (luck is 100%, it will unlock anyways though lol) If anyone can explain that part to me, I'll be thankful and hand them a kudo. (I know it has something to do with the *...)

wow i'm excitedly surprised someone is working on it already. i like your idea about not making it overpowering. i wonder if the higher level ones could not make it lower than a certain level? idk. keep up the good work!

yeah i agree with lyncor. but thanks for posting anyway because i'm enjoying the links in your signature. definitely going to use some of them when i reinstall soon.

Edit: Give it to someone in the Alteration guildhall, I reckon. Is that Cheydinhall?

--

And on that note - I am now downloading Vampire Hunting - Order of the Virtuous Blood from David's signature... looks great. Also grabbing Verona House Bloodlines, which he linked to. Thanks!

Back on topic - I like the idea of a Very Hard Lock converting down to a Medium one instead of an Easy. Bear in mind though that players are likely to just subsequently use Open Medium Lock on it. Is there a way that you could block this from happening?

As mentioned earlier, it seems important to have the spell "mark" the door/container as having already been decreased so that it can only be altered once. Otherwise you could cast Attempt Very Easy Lock 5 times on any lock to open it. Broken! If you can't open it by magic, you need to do it the old fashioned way ;)

Possible pattern:

• Attempt Very Easy Lock --> Opens Very Easy + Decreases harder locks by 1
  • Attempt Easy Lock --> Opens Easy + Decreases harder locks by 1
  • Attempt Medium Lock --> Opens Medium + Decreases harder locks by 2
  • Attempt Hard Lock --> Opens Hard + Decreases harder locks by 2
  • Attempt Very Hard Lock --> Opens Very Hard, no additional effect. As Vanilla, maybe with luck component - either succeeds or doesn't. (If you can open VH locks by magic it doesn't make sense to decrease the lock difficulty)

The best option would be to include an .ini file where these things can be edited by the player so they can choose their own settings. Are you up to that, LordFrostcraig?

Edited by Lyncor

I can make the very hard not make it under average. Want that? Also, where should I put it (Decided against Edgar; many mods already edit him) Should I add it through another NPC or some books buyable at Mystic Emporium (compatiable with anything that doesn't delete the seller guy)

yeah that sounds good for very hard and other than that i like the pattern lyncor went over. could you make it replace the original effects/spells? if you can't i would go with the alteration guildhall as long as it's compatible. also on the topic of your idea of having luck influence it, for the more high-level ones i would make it so it might only take it down one level based on luck, but usually two. maybe more likely to only take it down one for open medium lock.