Auriel's bow crash

grandpauj1

I am having a crash issue when trying to get Auriel's bow. I killed Knight-Paladin Gelebor's brother and talked to him. He tells me to take the bow and when I do I get the "Completed:Touching the Sky" message then crash stright to desktop. I have tried it five times and CTD same spot every time, The last time got this screen shot right at crash point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

This quest in Dawnguard is brutal for me. I've had it glitch enemies outside of the map area I'm in, seen them drop through the floor too. I've also had this CTD and I don't think you'll like what I found helped me.

In my case, because I've done this quest many times now, I spam the button speed up dialog. Turns out with the Brother, the knight you first meet, if there is any discussion that is skipped over too fast it will glitch the quest and either fail to complete or in my case, CTD. I do not know if that is exactly what is happening for you but if you speed up dialog with NPCs it may be. It requires a load of an old save and go back through it all.

It may just be better to try to console command the setstages to finish up anything left over. This discusses it, different issue but same resolution:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64877905

I've had to do this too. It's a very buggy quest.

Well I did the console command, Player.SetStage DLC1vq07 150 in case it happens to some one else. I don't like doing it like that, Kinda cheating, but I wasn't going to drop back and start it over just to see if it would work or do it again.

Thanks for the help

Yeah, it's a long quest to redo, were you able to console yourself the bow so it's inventory? I don't know why that quest is as buggy as it is but I'm in a new play through now and coming to Dawnguard soon, I'm going to find out if my own advice is worth anything lol.

Well after exiting game to post my last post, went back to play for a bit and it won't load at all now. CTD at the load screen. Have to go do the work thing, will try to check it tonight or in the next few days (depending on what time I get home) and let you know.

)o:

finally got time to play for awhile, after trying several times to load my last save and going right back to the desktop, I started from an old save and it worked fine. Still not wanting to redo the whole quest and relying way to much on "quick save" (my previous save was level 57 and the one I was playing was 60 I think) I really started thinking what else could it be.

Enough babbling, I thought it might time to update my "Unoffical patches" I did need to update, so what I did was go to the Data Folder and manually remove all my unofficial patches, that was when I discovered i did not have the Dawngaurd patch, so after deleting all the ones that were there, manually reinstalling them all (including Dawngaurd) to the current versions, all seems to be fine. I started from the save that was crashing and it loaded fine, I got the bow. Played for about an hour, finished the quest, fast traveled, got in to a few good fights. all is working fine. Is this the answer, I don't know but it seemed to work for me. So maybe try this before you get there if you not already up to date.

finally got time to play for awhile, after trying several times to load my last save and going right back to the desktop, I started from an old save and it worked fine. Still not wanting to redo the whole quest and relying way to much on "quick save" (my previous save was level 57 and the one I was playing was 60 I think) I really started thinking what else could it be.

Enough babbling, I thought it might time to update my "Unoffical patches" I did need to update, so what I did was go to the Data Folder and manually remove all my unofficial patches, that was when I discovered i did not have the Dawngaurd patch, so after deleting all the ones that were there, manually reinstalling them all (including Dawngaurd) to the current versions, all seems to be fine. I started from the save that was crashing and it loaded fine, I got the bow. Played for about an hour, finished the quest, fast traveled, got in to a few good fights. all is working fine. Is this the answer, I don't know but it seemed to work for me. So maybe try this before you get there if you not already up to date.