Skyrim Society

Jermungand

Thank you, my Northern brothers. So what actually is "Norse", as we would know it?

I was under the impression that Norse was effectively/mostly modern Icelandic, but with a few changes.

well, the easiest way to learn norse is to learn icelandic, but its far more compilated than that the cronological order of the words have EVERYTHING to say. And they acctually talked like poems often are written today (in Norway annyways)

like this:

(normal)------------------------------> there is a fly in my soup!

(norse in english.... kinda)---->in my soup a fly there is!

I think they talked about them selves in 3'rd person although i'm not shure

here's a wird guy speaking fluently norse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzfwwYL7uKI

Edited by arntey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icelandic is the closest of what is used today, you come to actual Norse. It's very similar, but with some changes. :)

I don't know old Norse either, but I really want to learn it. (Such a shame we don't teach it on the school in Norway really... hmf)

I'm fairly certain there will be some kind of armed guards enforcing the laws of a basic judicial system.

In other words; yes, we'll get more of the "stop right there, criminal scum!" that we've all grown to love. :sweat:

It's a vast improvement over the 'halt! Halt! Halt!' chorus you got in Daggerfall. the guards were psychic there, too!

But, didn't you know?

LOL! Good thing for them that he was, then!

Well, I'll revise my opinion. Psychic enforcers might be cool in the RL but they still suck in Cyrodiil. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/confused.gif

p.s. thanks for the heads-up on the Norse site! Looks great, I am certainly going to scour that hoard.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Comparing the Nord with actual historical old Norse is a fallacy. It's like comparing the Empire to the actual Romans. Sure there are a lot of similarities but it ends at the superficial level. So any speculation about the Nords based on actual world history is like speculating what is actually in your Taco Bell tacos because tradition Mexican beef is prepared a certain way.

Comparing the Nord with actual historical old Norse is a fallacy. It's like comparing the Empire to the actual Romans. Sure there are a lot of similarities but it ends at the superficial level. So any speculation about the Nords based on actual world history is like speculating what is actually in your Taco Bell tacos because tradition Mexican beef is prepared a certain way.

I wouldn't say that. Yes, they aren't exactly the same; Skyrim is only based off of the historical Norse. That doesn't mean that in the creative process of making Skyrim believable, Bethesda isn't turning to historical Norse stuff for inspiration. That probably is what they're doing, after all! So it makes sense that we would be making conjectures about how this is going to be done, as we have been doing on this thread thus far.

Edited by Jermungand

I wouldn't say that. Yes, they aren't exactly the same; Skyrim is only based off of the historical Norse. That doesn't mean that in the creative process of making Skyrim believable, Bethesda isn't turning to historical Norse stuff for inspiration. That probably is what they're doing, after all! So it makes sense that we would be making conjectures about how this is going to be done, as we have been doing on this thread thus far.

The similarities of Norse and Nord end at the aestetic aspect, and even then it's from a Hollywood perspective, thus the winged and horned helmets, which never would have actually apeared.