Door Woes

I was modifying an existing bunker into a player home tonight and I linked the outside door to my cell, and when I tested it, I could enter my cell just fine but couldn't exit back out into the wasteland. It just took me to a short hallway and then a grey area. I invested the exterior and I noticed that the yellow cell marker was turned back toward the door instead of pointing away from the door. Is that the problem? How do I fix this? I can click on the marker and drag it but I can't seem to turn it around at all that I can see. Help, please? I'll be forever grateful. Edited by mellowtraumatic

When you have the marker selected, hold the right mouse button and drag. This will rotate the marker. But, I am not sure that is your problem. When you double click on the interior door, you get the edit dialog for the door. Click the button "View linked door". Does this take you to the expected outside marker? If not, then set it (again?) using the button "Linked Door: Select Reference in Render Window".

Yes, the marker position and direction is important. Make sure it is clear of the door, pointing away from it, not in the air, not underground, and nothing is clipping into it.

Thanks, you two! I was able to fix the marker but David, you're right. This doesn't appear to be the problem. The interior door now seems to take me somewhere in the back of the bunker itself. Now I've always had trouble with the Select Reference in Render Window option. Whenever I go to choose the exterior door to link to the red crosshair cursor never changes to white so when I double click on the door, nothing happens. Obviously I'm missing something.

I have occasionally had problems with a door taking me to the wrong spot. When you edit the door, there is a button which says "view teleport marker". Click this and it should bring you to the yellow telephone-booth-sized box which shows where you'll go when you activate this door. It sounds like somehow, your yellow box has gotten into the back of your bunker. It is important to verify that this is true; otherwise why should the game bring you to that particular spot?

Once you locate the yellow marker, you can move it. I'm not aware of a good way to move it from one interior into another cell, which it sounds like you need. When I have had this problem, what I did was to basically redo it. While editing the door, unclick the "teleport" checkbox so that it no longer becomes a teleporting door. Make sure both of your doors (the interior and exterior) have this unchecked. Now there are no teleport markers for this pair. Once you make sure, then edit one of the doors, check the teleport checkbox again, view the other door and click "set reference", then exit the edit dialog and position the marker. Do the same for the other door, and hopefully now you will have the two yellow markers both in the right spots. It should only take a minute to redo.

Edit: you mention that when you put the crosshair over the object you want to be a door, the cursor doesn't turn white. This usually happens when the object is not checked as "persistent reference". So, make sure to edit the target object and set this flag. However, this is set by default for most door objects. Are you sure that you have positioned the render window so that you are clicking on the door, rather than some other object such as a nearby wall or ceiling?

Edited by davidlallen