Harrassed by a scammish popup.

Vindekarr

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get a screenshot of the ad maybe Dark0ne can get it shut down. Ads are targeted to specific regions based on where your ISP says you are located and he doesn't see the same ads you do.

I'm getting the same issue and it's only happening on the Nexus sites. I seriously doubt it's as simple as malware/spyware with so many users experiencing the same problem, unless all of us have acquired a trojan of some sort, but I think it's much more likely that the issue is coming from the server and not our PCs.

Next time I get a "pop-under" ad I will screen and send it to Dark0ne.

I assume for other users these ads are more or less full-screen windows that aren't maximized and 90% of the time appear underneath the browser window?

This is due to the changes Dark0ne have made with ads.

But they should really just occur once every hour.

Thanks for the reference post, that clears a lot of things up, although why Dark0ne would go that route is kind of mysterious, or maybe he's just lazy? I know he's got a lot on his plate but as was demonstrated by the creation of this topic and a couple others, the ads are causing concern amongst users, and one of the replies in the reference topic makes a clear and logical point that new users will find the pop-under ads intrusive and could assume the ads contain malware/spyware/etc. as a lot of dirty sites use that tactic.

Hopefully he's still exploring other options to get rid of this one. I understand that running and maintaining the Nexus sites is a huge financial burden and Dark0ne is doing the community a major service with these sites, but honestly I was tempted to stop coming to the Nexus because of my paranoia that my PC might be getting infected. If it weren't for my AV and the fact that Mod Resources are hard to come by anywhere else, I probably would have abandoned the Nexus Sites completely.

Anyway, I guess it's a bit more comforting to know that these are supposed to be there for non-premium members and they aren't parading around my PC taking a dump in essential system files.