Skyrim Information

Zaldir

Fixed dungeon levels :S ?

So let me get this straight . . . If you go into a ruin at level 1, all the enemies will stay at that level for the rest of the game? I'm seeing exploits here . . . :sweat:

I think he means leveled before you even set foot in there, a pre set level(s). There is a strong push for the elimination of level scaling, because, wtf, it just nerfed everything. Nothing was ever too easy or too hard. At lvl 2(I did this :sad: )one should not be able to beat the main quest (I did it by making really terrible skills my main skills,and looking ahead, I think like 3 of the most worthless skills are being merged). At lvl 30+, travelling should be safe, even kinda fun(blasting all those lil' wolfies outta the way :devil: ), but now at 30, the wildlife is as magical and powerful as me. :wallbash: level scaling was also just like a major exploit, I was never up a creek no matter what stupid dangerous thing I did. It needs to go. Or at least be optional. And if it remains I'm not buying the game until the community fixes it( Oscuro's OO).

Or it could be that dungeon's have their own levels instead. You're lvl 5 and you go in a level 30 dungeon, butt-kicking commences. You leave the dungeon, get stronger and the dungeon will still be the same level as you left it.

You said it perfectly, but I think regions in the world should have fixed levels too, the happy meadows should never really have anything stronger than the mundane, and the glacier of death, well, nary a lvl 1-10 that enters should be heard from again.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed dungeon levels :S ?

So let me get this straight . . . If you go into a ruin at level 1, all the enemies will stay at that level for the rest of the game? I'm seeing exploits here . . . :sweat:

I think he means leveled before you even set foot in there, a pre set level(s). There is a strong push for the elimination of level scaling, because, wtf, it just nerfed everything. Nothing was ever too easy or too hard. At lvl 2(I did this :sad: )one should not be able to beat the main quest (I did it by making really terrible skills my main skills,and looking ahead, I think like 3 of the most worthless skills are being merged). At lvl 30+, travelling should be safe, even kinda fun(blasting all those lil' wolfies outta the way :devil: ), but now at 30, the wildlife is as magical and powerful as me. :wallbash: level scaling was also just like a major exploit, I was never up a creek no matter what stupid dangerous thing I did. It needs to go. Or at least be optional. And if it remains I'm not buying the game until the community fixes it( Oscuro's OO).

Or it could be that dungeon's have their own levels instead. You're lvl 5 and you go in a level 30 dungeon, butt-kicking commences. You leave the dungeon, get stronger and the dungeon will still be the same level as you left it.

You said it perfectly, but I think regions in the world should have fixed levels too, the happy meadows should never really have anything stronger than the mundane, and the glacier of death, well, nary a lvl 1-10 that enters should be heard from again.

I've played several games like how you said. Certain areas have certain levels, but when the player is higher than that area level there is more enemies. If I remember correctly Beth or GI said that at higher levels lower leveled creatures and characters will be more numerous, which kind of goes with what your all saying!

If any type of level scaling is introduced into this game, as was done in Oblivion, I won't buy it at all. I doub Bethesda would be stupid enough to add it after the furore created by it in Oblivion, but if they do, I won't buy it, solely because I don't like the type of RPG that employs level scaling.

Man, just reading through the GI previews about Skyrim makes me feel like i'm experiencing the oblivion hype all over again. I mean a lot of the info about Skyrim in regards to it's UI and Game features(especially the one where the game changes depending on what your character is proficient at) sound good on paper but then again so did a lot of the stuff In oblivion. I expect for all of the things GI is hyping up to be just as terrible as the vanilla leveling system was in oblivion.

and here we go again.. the negativity... :P

Yeah, maybe things won't be JUST as you expected, but that is simply impossible, because people expects different things. Level Scaling is actually a way to keep the game alive, though it was overdone in Oblivion. Now they are making it less like the Level Scaling in Oblivion. For instance when on low levels, one low level creature spawns, while on higher levels, 2-3 of these low level creatures spawns. That makes it much more fun, as now you have 2-3 low leveled enemies to blast with your fireballs of doom, rather than one. :D

Zaldiir, I heard that elves rule by the time Skyrim commences, is it true?

IIRC that is a rumour that started because someone posted such info on Wikipedia... Seeing how Nords are going to fight because some want to abandon the Empire and some want to stay a part of it, I'd say it's complete and uttter rubish ;)

Also, I don't think I've seen the newest info here (from Italian and Franch magazines - some may appear twice, because I'm not in the mood for checking the list ;P ):

-dynamic shadows

-if a weapon and a shield or two weapons are equiped, you cannot cast any spell (quite logical indeed)

-it seems that smithing can only be done in forges (you cannot repair your equipment everywhere like in morrowind or oblivion)

-incredible level of detail such as : blood vessels on skin, modelling, animations, clothings (not sure what "clothing" means here))

-meteorological effects : clouds are gathering in real time around mountain peaks (sounds pretty cool), snow affects textures (so again pretty much confirmed that this isn't 3d accumulating snow but I'm fine with that anyway).

-a major inspiration for snowy landscapes seems to be artists like Brom and Frazetta.

-Matthew Carofano (artistic director of Skyrim) : Dwemer ruins (we know that already) and a Dunmer city!!! (yeah you heard me : Dunmer ) ;

-again from M. Carifano : "after Oblivion where every place looked alike, in Skyrim you'll find once agin the excentricity of Vvardenfell. Here every Nord Clan has its own colors, its own identity."

-For consoles : the "block" action is performed by pressing both trigger buttons at the same time. Each separatly correspond to the action of what you equipped in one hand or the other.

-80 spells among which some are entirely new (the journalist might have picked a rounded off number since I remember GI said 85 or so?)

-spells confirmed : Detect Life, Fury (force ennemies to fight between them), Circle of Protection (hurl ennemies outside a magic circle), Snow trap (triggers only when an ennemy walks on it), Lightnings, Fireballs.

-Concerning finishing moves we'll see stuffs like : Axe blade planted in the neck, dagger in the chest.

-Concerning skills : Athletics (they surely meant Acrobatics) doesn't exist anymore (to prevent the player boosting this only by jumping on stand)

-AI : NPCs have day and night activities like cooking and brushing the ground in front of their houses.

-dialogues : most "inimportant" NPC like simple villagers won't have any dialogue tree (instead they'll directly comment on rumors or on what they're doing) ; only important NPCs will actually exchange dialogue with you, you CAN cut short the dialogue simply by walking away.

-Every city and town is bound to some particular resources meaning if you burn their mill or mine, you affect their economy and they'll be forced to buy flour or mineral somewhere else and when you'll want to buy these resources here again it will be more expensive. (good thing for evil characters and maybe desctructible environnement?)

-the Dragon Shout key on PS3 is R3 (don't ask me more since I'm a PC player)

-archery : when aiming at something, you can hold your breath (consuming stamina) and the action is slowed.

-Dark Brotherhood mentionned as might be in (the reason beeing that the devs had a lot of fun developping it in Oblivion)

-Dragons can be unpredictible in their behaviour, they will fly in the air, crawl on the land, they can crash when wounded.

-On the favorite menu: "Cliking on a key, the screen freeze and a list of weapons or 'favorite' spells is shown next to each hand".

-Todd Howard Interview :

-"a cause-consequence tree for each mission",

-each mission will be a bit different from the same mission played by another player who has done other quests. Also can be different depending on which mission you did before.

-If you meet a Giant on the road he might totally not attack you unless you attack him.

-it seems he says that when most NPCs give you a quest, they'll give you precise directions or accompany you to the road showing you which direction to take to go on on you quest.

-the player should be excited when discovering a new place, or overhearing rumors spoken by NPCs between them.

-the testers mark the most beautiful landscape, so they should have things like temples, stuff that will entice the player to go and check by himself.

-in Oblivion there was only 1 guy working on the dungeons, this time for Skyrim, 8 devs are working on them.

-120 dungeons (again might be another round off number, cause we already heard 130+)

-Speaking of jobs : woodcutting, weaponsmithing, sells stuffs you made to the forge or to the mill...

-he insists on the importance of activities they thought apparently useless before Skyrim, but they found that was surprinsingly important for immersion after implementing them into Skyrim.

-Skyrim size is equal to Oblivion's Cyrodiil

-There are 5 major cities, 20 minor cities and 100+ dungeons (but we already know that)

-the creation engine is totally new, it's not based on the game bryo

-graphics look a lot better than the oblivion and fallout 3 one

-there are fishes that jump out of the water

-the hud appears only when you fight. you will see the three status bar and the compass (sigh)

-the UI is really user freindly but it's not intended to be mouse-used

-every weapon has a damage stat and a block stat

-it appears that there are no birthsigns

-there is a separate control system for the pc

-there is a "local map" for every zone of Skyrim

-there are 100+ subquests

-it will be possibile to play after the main quest

-Steam, not gfwl. they're are disappointed with LIVE!

-you can't create spells.

-there are houses which you can buy

-there are many puzzles in the dungeons

-cities, dungeons etc will be added to the 3d map as soon as you encounter them

-water physics

-every town has an economic system

-minor cities contains 10+ buildings

-75% of the quests are dynamic. even the rewards and the quest giver are randomized

-snow is not a texture (I don't get it, why a magazine says that is a texture and the other one says the opposite?)

-bandits in the dungeons are alive and not puppet-like

-soulgems are also used to regain magicka

-"turn undead" spell confirmed

-you can set oil on fire

-there are birds

-there is NO multiplayer

-the npcs which give us the main quests are immortal