Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can´t we uninstall steam after activating a game?I allways try to kep my pc with the essential to save memory.So if skyrim is steam can´t I just install it activate skyrim install skyrim and uninstall steam?

If Steam is required, you also have to run steam to play the game. :/

Besides, we don't know for sure if Spellmaking is gone, as it's only been stated in the translations. :)

Well I was quite disappointed about the no spellmaking but I hope you're right...

Also disappointed about Steam. I personally have no problems with it but it's just a little hassle for me, being that I never have nor would like to use it.

Apart from that, all sounds good. :) Particularly excited about destructible environments (if the translation was correct).

@Zaldiir,

Apparently the GI guys only saw the console version of the game, and one of the Bethesda employees send a tweet saying that the PC version will also be "well-looked after" in regards to UI changes. For example, the console version won't have hotkeys like you can read in the GI UI article, but the PC version will.

It's something we should keep in the back of our minds if certain features according to GI sound very console-ish.

Edited by Maegfaer

Guys, your all wrong! ;)

There still IS spell-making. You just can't do it in game, your gonna have to learn to use the Creation Kit :P

Just take this discussion a little away from Piracy talk:

Get your burning questions answered straight from the dragon's mouth!

This week's Game Informer podcast will feature Skyrim's game

director, Todd Howard, who will be answering community questions. If

you'd like to have your question considered, post in the comments

section at GameInformer.com.

Well since you asked . . .

(several hours and rolls of paper later)

And that's pretty much it! I think.

Honestly there are a lot of dumb questions or comments, people must have got too excited about Q&A time.

Just out of curiosity, why is having Steam run in the background a huge issue for you? I'm not really sure what kind of resources it takes up, but I assumed it was pretty negligible.

Regarding Steam in general, I'd have to say I'm a little surprised at all the negative feedback towards it. I've only been using Steam for the past year, but I've yet to have any noteworthy issues. I mostly use it because of the significantly lower prices during sales, getting older games that are hard to find in physical form and/or aren't otherwise very happy with newer Windows OS, to avoid OTHER forms of DRM that are much more cumbersome (limited activations, have to be online to play... feels more like you're renting the game), and it's also nice if you don't want to worry about discs getting broken or lost.

There are some cons, yes. If for some reason Valve stopped supporting Steam, it could be troublesome. It can be a little annoying (not that much for me) to have to have Steam pop up to play a game. Even then, sometimes you can edit/replace the .exe file to get around that. At least, that's what happened for me with Morrowind (the Morrowind Code Patch edits/makes a new .exe, so Steam doesn't pop up when I play it). And there's also if you just like having the physical copy of the game, which I can understand. But we're talking about activating on Steam, not buying from Steam, so that's not an issue either.

Yea, it stinks that PC games nowdays have to have DRM of any kind. But regardless of whether or not we think it stops or aids pirating, if THEY think it helps, they're going to use it. That said, I'd much rather have Steam be the vessel of their DRM than any other form.

My problem is that it grows like Exponentially, I leave it on overnight, and when I get up, its taking up like 5GB RAM.It creeps up on me and then CRASH! Also it begins to soak up CPU capacity too, what are you doing that's so hard steam?.It doesn't seem like that should happen :rolleyes:.I guess I'll just have to tough it out though, did ya'll hear, Destructible environment! :biggrin:

Edited by mrpepperkitty

Just wanted to say thanks Zaldiir, and you other contributors for compiling all this info on Skyrim. I find myself checking here a couple times a day to see what's new. To say I'm excited about Skyrim would be an understatement, and it's nice to have a single place to go check for news, rather than scouring the web for any new tidbit. Kudos.

"4E ?? — Morrowind is conquered by the Argonians."

WIN thats what you get for enslaving argonians you bastards!!!!

argonians suck........................................................................................... water and breathes it out through gills ^^

naaa kidding i'm just messing with ya, but as i am a norwegian im obliged to say that NORDS RUUUULE :biggrin:

wow that ........ was random