Skyrim Information

Zaldir

This isn't fallout with swords, and I liked having multiple pieces of armor, like in Morrowind. I personally thought it added quite a bit to the variety.

I guess I'll have to see just how much more armor they added.

I really don't understand how merging chest/leg armors makes it Fallout with swords.

I stated that it wasn't, not that it was. This was a response to this to Camonna Tong's statement.

I hate how people are complaining about the Single armor piece that is from Fallout. Obviously they need to do research. There are a lot of sites that are complaining about this. How it got that way I don't know. Either someone hated Skyrim and said that and people believed him. Or he/she was misinformed. People need to learn to research and see that what they heard is wrong.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. :wink:

I know that it's not a single piece of armor, It's less though. Fallout had more then one piece too, if you count the helmet. It's the fact that 3 pieces are fused into one. Each games gives you progressively less armor options. It's only natural to feel a little cheated.

But that same complaint was probably the real reasons why people thought it was like Fallout one piece armor. About the different armor thing. Am I the only one then that thought the mismatch in Oblivion was stupid because of the limited armor pieces? Morrowind made a lot more sense to mismatch. Oblivion doesn't. Skyrim might have way more sets but still.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have to note there will be massively more armor sets in skyrim.

The chest/legs were merged so the dev team could make more armor sets quicker.

How does merging them make it more rapid? If anything, it slows development down because you have to merge it all together. Only benefit I can see is that you have the waist seam right there to see.

How does merging them make it more rapid? If anything, it slows development down because you have to merge it all together. Only benefit I can see is that you have the waist seam right there to see.

You make it as one mesh. Making two can be harder...

Because if they're separate, you have to make sure the player can't cause graphical glitches by mix-and-matching the different pieces, like if they decide to wear a Daedric Cuirass with their Mithril Greaves. This also puts limits on what types of designs can be done.

As one who have made custom armor before (for dragon age, but still) I can confirm that it does indeed make things a lot easier. When you do seperate pieces you have to make sure that they don't clip with the other armor parts of a different set in the game. And the more armor you have, the more restrictive it will be in terms of looks. They would need to check the "ending points" of the cuirass and greaves part to fit with all combinations to make sure that it leaves no invisible areas or clipping.

Also makes it, if only very slightly, easier for the game to render since you now have shared vertices in the places where they otherwise would have split up the armor, in addition to the extra polygons needed to give it depth (in case you don't know, the backside of all polygons are rendered invisible in-game).

EDIT: dang, alcrin got there first.

Edited by amycus

As one who have made custom armor before (for dragon age, but still) I can confirm that it does indeed make things a lot easier. When you do seperate pieces you have to make sure that they don't clip with the other armor parts of a different set in the game. And the more armor you have, the more restrictive it will be in terms of looks. They would need to check the "ending points" of the cuirass and greaves part to fit with all combinations to make sure that it leaves no invisible areas or clipping.

Also makes it, if only very slightly, easier for the game to render since you now have shared vertices in the places where they otherwise would have split up the armor, in addition to the extra polygons needed to give it depth (in case you don't know, the backside of all polygons are rendered invisible in-game).

Overlapping to hide where the textures don't cover the mesh. So you don't see holes...

It seems like item durability is also out of the game; nothing of it is shown in the menus during demos, and repairing weapons/armor hasn't been mentioned as part of the Blackmithing skill. I welcome this change. Other thoughts?

It seems like item durability is also out of the game; nothing of it is shown in the menus during demos, and repairing weapons/armor hasn't been mentioned as part of the Blackmithing skill. I welcome this change. Other thoughts?

Serious? It was tedious, but I found it added a form of realism. I was hoping you'd have to find ore to repair your gear this time...Or if something was 0% you'd have to forge a new blade. So many cool ideas that will end up mods now... *cries* Edited by SHIROryuu

Overlapping to hide where the textures don't cover the mesh. So you don't see holes...

I think you are talking about the seams in textures? I think I said it before, but "holes" doesn't have anything to do with the textures, but may show up if you don't have an extra layer of polygons. Say that you make a simple wall in 3d that only consist of a single polygon. You can the texture it and export it to a game, but the wall will still look completely invisible if you look on the "backside" of the wall, since the backside of the polygons aren't rendered. You will need to make 4 polygons, even if you just want it to be paper-thin to avoid any weird issues.

EDIT: You might have noticed it before when playing any game and the camera went a bit close IN to your character, and a part of the head looks invisible. That's because the character mesh is basically just a textureimage that has been told to be wrapped into the same shape as the mesh. It is similar to an empty shell, just that it is completley invisible when shown from the inside. When you equip an armor piece the mesh only replaces a part of your body, so if the "ending parts" of the meshes doesn't fit eachother you are bound to be able to see into the other mesh, and well,,, just looks weird. If I had more time I would post a pic since it might be hard to understand by just reading it.

Edited by amycus