Skyrim Information

Zaldir

Yes, Daggerfall had a lot of the same problems and features that Oblivion had.A lot of level-scaling, generic cities, fast-traveling, Daggerfall had it first.Which gives me hope for Skyrim.

Though at least Daggerfall had a reason for fast-traveling. It would take years to beat it without. 2 weeks just to walk from end to end on the map non-stop. Yeah fast-traveling wasn't a problem to many in Daggerfall it was a need. Oblivion however it is not. Though I still use Fast travel, cause if I don't my game crashes around certain areas and I have spent hours already fixing them. About the level scaling. I love Level Scaling it was just that in Oblivion the way they did it was a bad choice. If I was level 100 or so and level-scaling wasn't there I would basically kill everything in one hit which basically many call that your too god-like and don't like the game in Morrowind. Then for Oblivion it was everything became too hard later. If there was a combination of the two I would love it. But it seems Skyrim has dealt with this issue.

I never stated that there was anything wrong with fast-traveling in my comment, note that I said problems and features.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Daggerfall had a lot of the same problems and features that Oblivion had.A lot of level-scaling, generic cities, fast-traveling, Daggerfall had it first.Which gives me hope for Skyrim.

Though at least Daggerfall had a reason for fast-traveling. It would take years to beat it without. 2 weeks just to walk from end to end on the map non-stop. Yeah fast-traveling wasn't a problem to many in Daggerfall it was a need. Oblivion however it is not. Though I still use Fast travel, cause if I don't my game crashes around certain areas and I have spent hours already fixing them. About the level scaling. I love Level Scaling it was just that in Oblivion the way they did it was a bad choice. If I was level 100 or so and level-scaling wasn't there I would basically kill everything in one hit which basically many call that your too god-like and don't like the game in Morrowind. Then for Oblivion it was everything became too hard later. If there was a combination of the two I would love it. But it seems Skyrim has dealt with this issue.

I never stated that there was anything wrong with fast-traveling in my comment, note that I said problems and features.

Sorry about that. Maybe I should of payed more attention to the "Which gives me hope for Skyrim" part, eh?

Hate on Oblivion's fast travel's flaws all you want, but it has one very big advantage: It means quest designers cannot depend on travel times to pad out the game's length. Remember how many quests in Morrowind consisted almost entirely of walking/running/flying/sailing/riding/teleporting to get to where you need to go and back to the quest giver, spending 3 seconds at most at your destination? While Oblivion's not totally rid of these there's far fewer of them, and fast travel's the reason.

A juicy tavern-related tidbit from Ausgamers' hands-on which I haven't seen posted here:

At some point I reached a settlement called Falkreath, where apparently I’d done something bad. Guards came out and started attacking me and these guys were much, much stronger. I spent my mana, became fatigued and was rapidly running out of keep-me-alive options, so I decided to sheath my weapon, and they immediately stopped, telling me I could pay my fine, or spend some time in prison. Obviously - for me here - time was of the essence, so I paid the fine and was free to walk about the settlement, but went straight for the first tavern I could find. It was here Todd had decided to come and check on my progress, and seemed surprised that I’d made it to Falkreath, but let me in on a secret - within most taverns, you can pay bards to sing songs, and if you choose the right song, or the right combination of songs, you encourage the bar’s patrons to drink up and be merry. Merry damn drunk, that is, even to the point of passing out where you may then casually pickpocket them and be on your merry way, without so much as flinch.

Read the whole thing here.

Sounds like my devilish Breton will be taking advantage of this scenario at least once!

Wes Johnson is back from Fallout 3 and Oblivion. He did Sheogorath, Lucien Lanchance, and many other including Mister Burke of Fallout 3. As I said he is back but IMDB is unsure of what voice he is doing as it just says (Voice) Wes Johnson is one of the actors I talked about that could do multiple voices well. At least in my opinion.

Wes Johnson is back from Fallout 3 and Oblivion. He did Sheogorath, Lucien Lanchance, and many other including Mister Burke of Fallout 3. As I said he is back but IMDB is unsure of what voice he is doing as it just says (Voice) Wes Johnson is one of the actors I talked about that could do multiple voices well. At least in my opinion.

Woohoo! Gotta love Wes. :)

He's very good. I'm so happy he's back. I hope Jeff Baker comes back, too. (Morrowind Dunmer/Haskill)