Skyrim Information

Zaldir

It's good to get more people interested in a game,.. but sometimes I wonder about it...

I mean, you find someone who's never played a game in their life, then they play Skyrim and they love it,.. and that sticks... but say, if someone loves another type a game, would it be worthwhile trying to 'convert' them, so to speak?

I mean, I know if someone tried to sell me on halo, call of duty, mass effect, or racing games, or whatever... I wouldnt be interested in the least bit, and would only 'try' mass effect(which i havent yet, I really should.)

In that respect,.. I would assume its a lost cause for a company to try and sway these people, and their opinions will always be biased- just as mine are.

You can sit down and argue rather oblivion or halo is better with a friend all day long and in the end, your both wouldn't have changed your minds in the least bit >.>

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason bethesda does not need to advertise Skyrim so hard is because they already have a huge installed playerbase.

The internet is talking about it, it gets a mention now and then. Oblivion really took elder scrolls and made it huge.

RAGE on the other hand is a new IP and since it's new, they need to PUSH it to sell it. That's why we're seeing sequels all the time these days because if you take an old game, like dungeon keeper, you already have a bunch of people who already has played dungeon keeper, right? And from them word of mouth is going to spread. Same with skyrim! They got their hardcore fans doing more than half the job for them!

What does RAGE have? Nothing! So they really have to go through the traditional media in order to get sales.

It's good to get more people interested in a game,.. but sometimes I wonder about it...

I mean, you find someone who's never played a game in their life, then they play Skyrim and they love it,.. and that sticks... but say, if someone loves another type a game, would it be worthwhile trying to 'convert' them, so to speak?

I mean, I know if someone tried to sell me on halo, call of duty, mass effect, or racing games, or whatever... I wouldnt be interested in the least bit, and would only 'try' mass effect(which i havent yet, I really should.)

In that respect,.. I would assume its a lost cause for a company to try and sway these people, and their opinions will always be biased- just as mine are.

You can sit down and argue rather oblivion or halo is better with a friend all day long and in the end, your both wouldn't have changed your minds in the least bit >.>

I like Call of Duty to be honest. But on the other hand I've loved the middle ages and all medieval things since I was like 8 years old. So when I bought Oblivion, which was more of a surprise really. My mom gave me like 30$ back in the day to buy a game for, and the only fun game there seemed to be in the store was Oblivion, so I bought it and I was surprised of how great it was. I had always wanted such a game in my whole life, even though I was young. And now I'm sitting here, checking the information thread few times a day to know how it will be with Skyrim.

Skyrim brings us together. :thumbsup:

you are all forgetting the circumstances in how morrowind and oblivion became such huge sellers .. the games were great of course .. but the fan base isnt as big as you all think .. they both sold well and then ended up being pilled in the used game section of every local game trader .. why? .. because they were both the first games on their respected systems and a lot of gamers got them because of the hype in combination with the fact they were the only RPGs on the xbox and xbox 360 .. of course TES has a massive fan base but idk if they were those ones who purchased the games in the huge amounts that oblivion was purchased .. I think a lot of those sales were pure circumstance.. skyrim is coming out along with a ton of other RPGs and big games as well as being at the end of this gens lifespan .. keep in mind that a lot of people who played oblivion felt burned .. either it was to much of an rpg and they purchased it for the hype .. or it wasnt enough like morrwind .. I know a lot more people who played oblivion that say they wont play skyrim than I do people who have played it who want skyrim .. I think they are crazy but it doesnt mean they still wont hurt bethesda's sales.

And what does RAGE have? .. nothing? .. omg your so wrong .. they have the id fanbase .. thats a massive fallowing .. ever hear of quakecon?

Edited by jedimembrain

Exposing gamers to games they may think they don't like is never wasted time, you have to remember, people do not know what they do not know, and so everyone should always be open to trying new things, you may find that you didn't know something you liked. As for advertising and marketing, there is a whole profession that just does nothing else, while they don't always get it right the basics don't change and neither do the basic truths. With a huge Fan Base to do your marketing for you you divert your marketing resources to finding other ways to bring in revenue. Like it or not, Bethesda is not a one title or one genra corporation, they have corporate needs beyond Skyrim. So they invest marketing resources accordingly....the idea being keep the company healthy and that allows them to bring us the games we like. The one thing they cannot afford to do is focus on just one IP.

I like Call of Duty to be honest. But on the other hand I've loved the middle ages and all medieval things since I was like 8 years old. So when I bought Oblivion, which was more of a surprise really. My mom gave me like 30$ back in the day to buy a game for, and the only fun game there seemed to be in the store was Oblivion, so I bought it and I was surprised of how great it was. I had always wanted such a game in my whole life, even though I was young. And now I'm sitting here, checking the information thread few times a day to know how it will be with Skyrim.

you confuse me all your comments make it hard to tell are you looking forward to skyrim or do you hate it??

you confuse me all your comments make it hard to tell are you looking forward to skyrim or do you hate it??

Dude, I'm looking forward to Skyrim like every secod.

you are all forgetting the circumstances in how morrowind and oblivion became such huge sellers .. the games were great of course .. but the fan base isnt as big as you all think .. they both sold well and then ended up being pilled in the used game section of every local game trader .. why? .. because they were both the first games on their respected systems and a lot of gamers got them because of the hype in combination with the fact they were the only RPGs on the xbox and xbox 360 .. of course TES has a massive fan base but idk if they were those ones who purchased the games in the huge amounts that oblivion was purchased .. I think a lot of those sales were pure circumstance.. skyrim is coming out along with a ton of other RPGs and big games as well as being at the end of this gens lifespan .. keep in mind that a lot of people who played oblivion felt burned .. either it was to much of an rpg and they purchased it for the hype .. or it wasnt enough like morrwind .. I know a lot more people who played oblivion that say they wont play skyrim than I do people who have played it who want skyrim .. I think they are crazy but it doesnt mean they still wont hurt bethesda's sales.

And what does RAGE have? .. nothing? .. omg your so wrong .. they have the id fanbase .. thats a massive fallowing .. ever hear of quakecon?

you confuse me with your comments are you looking forward to the release of skyrim or loathing it?

sorry i hit the wrong reply button

Dude, I'm looking forward to Skyrim like every secod.

sorry wrong reply button

Edited by FishFiend