Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you should worry about the game underselling in any way, shape or form. First of all, Skyrim isn't exactly in the same genre as BF3 and MW3, so they're not even directly competing as such. While lots of gamers play lots of genres, the people buying MW3 or BF3 probably has Skyrim on the christmas list. For instance, I chose to get Skyrim, but that doesn't mean BF3 won't be on my christmas list. Just because the game doesn't sell 5 million bajillion copies on release day, it doesn't mean it won't get up there in the coming months, especially with christmas around the corner.

Another thing to add is the immense popularity of both Morowind and Oblivion: The majority of people who played and enjoyed those will probably invest in Skyrim sooner or later. Not the mention that the modding community alone makes it a must-buy game, tbh. And finally, do you even know any other game in the Fantasy genre that's close to Skyrim in quality and release time? The only contender I see in the immediate future is Diablo 3 (supposedly early next year, IIRC), which is kinda iffy, since it's a Hack and Slash game, not really an RPG in the Elder Scrolls sense.

Unless Skyrim has some persistent tech issues that makes it unplayable, I wouldn't be worried about sales with a franchise of this size with such a dedicated community :thumbsup:

Most people who buy MW3 or BF3 are fanboys who think shooting and online are two things a game cannot go without. I'm not sure they will even look at Skyrim as soon as they heard it's not online. And remember most sales of Skyrim will be from xbox 360/ps3

Oblivion released on 20-03-2006 and 21 days later on 20-04-2011 according to this article it had sold 1.7 million copies. A conservative estimate assumes Bethesda get 10% of the sale price (which would equate to between £3 and £6 depending on platform including collectors editions) that's still probably around £5,000,000 in the bank (or the equivalent in toy money) - in less than a month. Skyrim will almost certainly sell more.

How much of those sales happened in the first few months of release? We don't know do we? I think most of those coppies were sold in the first few months and Skyrim won't have the advantage of being on a new console with only a few games available for it.

But don't get me wrong. I'm not against Bethesda. I really hope it'll sell more than Oblivion and Morrowind put together. I really want to see a bunch of Shivering Isles type of DLC for Skyrim

Edited by babis8142

Most people who buy MW3 or BF3 are fanboys who think shooting and online are two things a game cannot go without. I'm not sure they will even look at Skyrim as soon as they heard it's not online. And remember most sales of Skyrim will be from xbox 360/ps3

I am going to buy Battlefield 3, does that make me a fanboy? Wow, I didn't know that - seems I must refrain from buying it then...

Nevermind, I just realized I live 4 miles from a Gamestop.

<div><br></div><div>Question; if I preorder with gamestop to pick it up at that location, it'll be available the 11th right? Because they do get the game in on the 11th, don't they? Thanks!</div>

Edited by iansutton91

Haha I went to the Battlefield 3 midnight release but I'm not a fanboy , do I spend hours arguing with MW3 players online? No. Do I think MW3 is a recycled piece of sh**t ? Yes. Did I pre order the Collector's Edition of Skyrim? f*** yes. Do I realize how fun online FPS games are ? Yes. Not everyone who plays BF3 or MW3 are fan boys, which is why I'm glad you wrote "most" instead of "all" but even then MOST BF3 and/or MW3 players are not fanboys whatsoever lol, I personally got BF3 to hold me over until the legendary Skyrim comes out ;)

Yeah, I love the elder scrolls and have always been interested in medieval and fantasy. But I still enjoy playing CoD.

I immensely dislike CoD because, just now, I went onto steam and was pottering about then looked at the upcoming releases..... "omg Skyrim 8th Nov!?! ahhhh! Is that good or bad I don't know! :blink: " then realised that release date was for MW3. :facepalm: