Just Got EVE Tips for a Newbie

Azrael120782

Ive always assumed that somones following me so if I see a ship thats bigger than me ill warp to one of my points. Ive seen a ton of Ibis's in my area few Bantams and mostly starter ships.Ive noticed a few destroyers saw a cap in one of my mining runs seen quite a few ore miner ships,Exhumers i think,buzzed them to check them out just to get an idea of scale,most of the people ive seen kinda know im just mining as my Bantam isnt really set up for ship on ship fighting. the Merlins pretty good as on the noob missions I can cream the enemys frigates pretty fast. Im not too bothered by the flurry of Bantams,Ibis's and COndors all over the place. The only ship that Ive seen in my class that would make me think twice is either another Merlin of the missile one

IF something happens to any of my ships Im pretty sure I can cover the loss, but ive been doing the school missions as most of the noobs in my area are.I havent found anyone who wants to do mining runs with me or anything lol

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I'll be headed back to EVE myself soon, I do have one recomendation for you Azrael: replace your Bantam with the Cormorant you get in the warfare school missions.

It's a warship by design, but it's got a large cargohold, stolid plating, strong engines and best of all, hardpoints for a legion of mining lasers, meaning it can fill it's considerable hold in a few tens of seconds.

When equiped with about 4-5 mining lasers, and a set of cargo hold expanders, you'll be able to mine a LOT quickly, it's cheap, but you'll make a fistful with every Veldspar shipment you haul, tens of thousands of ISK every holdload. It's certainly a quantum leap ahead of a Bantam for mining,

Furthmore it's a solid ship for early combat missions, and absolutely ideal for salvaging.

At about 450,000 ISK replace cost, it should also be a disposable asset. You get a free one with the warfare school missions, you'll need to use the skill book Destroyers to be able to fly it, but once you've dont that it doesnt take too much experience to get a lot out of it, a solid reliable workhorse.

The perfect business ships I would say would be the Iteron, the various Destroyers, and the industrial mining ships. Mining ships like the Retriever arent too hard to get at all, you WILL need to buy some skillbooks from Jita to fly one, and the ship itself ain't that cheap at 4,000,000 but the profits they bring in are excellent. They pay themselves off quickly, due to their powerful Strip Miner Laser.

Edited by Vindekarr

I just bought my first tier Destroyer Cormont to replace my bantam,that Ill be selling.should I sell my extra ships ie when I get two or more of the same kind? I had an extra Merlin I sold.I have a Badger too but Idk what I want to do with it yet.

IF you happen to see Shadows Fury,thats the ship im using. ATM i ts set up for combat as im doing that school

Ok the Badger, like it's Gallente(FTW) cousin the Iteron, is a long distance cargo hulk.

It sucks in every single way, has almost no fitting options, and is absolutely useless for any kind of mission, BUT! it does have a gigantic cargo hold, and it's that cargo hold that gives the Iteron, Mammoth, Bestower, and Badger their role: they're like trucks: slow, ugly, smelly, but able to carry a massive load a long way. Use them to haul your loads of ore to a market world if you're mining off the beaten track.

As for your other question, it's your choice.

I NEVER sell a ship, I actualy collect any ships I find interesting. I get huge income in EVE being a Gallenteh FatCat, and a spend some of that one whatever takes my fancy, currently I've got 12 frigates, four industry boats ranging from planetary miners to bulk haulers, four destroyers, eight cruisers, a salvotug(gallente destroyer fitted for salving) two interceptors, five cruisers, two battleships and five battlecruisers.

Total value: dunno.

My flagship? depends on what mischief I'm up to. Mining? Miner Inconvenience(Retriever) Scam artistry/Conman-ery/Merchanting Snake Oil (fully legal and within the EVE EULA, the moderators of EVE actualy encourage it) The Abominable SlowPoke (Iteron mark IV) Joyriding/Smuggler shenanigans? Liquid Grace(Jaguar with cloaking device/MWD) Missions/War? Imperium Invictus(Hurricane missouri style artillery cruiser) or Semper Vigilus Imperium(Brutix plasma cruiser, short range slugger)

They are the ship's I've bought out of curiosity or need, and because I never sell wargear I've got an equally monolithic pile of gear. It's so I can simply put my hands on something that I need, whenever I need it. I never sell wargear or ships, EVER.

should I sell my badger? it was worth quite a bit I recall. my Shadows Fury does agreat job as a general use ship,I love how it has the 4 mining lasers.

Whats an easy affordable way to upgrade my ship? Im mostly looking into CPU power so I can run a full phalanx of mining lasers

lol yeah I tend to search anything I kill before I leave an area. I might buy another Heavy ship for my mining and make one a dedicated war horse

Amarr Industrials are pretty good when you are just spending a few points in the beginning. I think with level 3 you get already 10k+ Cargohold or something.

That means in terms of hauling at that level, it is better then any other ships out there, plus you get the sigil with 5 lows, which basicly acts like a cheap version of a blockade runner (t2). Level 4 Minmatar is best in terms of pure space. Level 5 Gallente. PS: CPU is Co-Processor.

And do get a corp. They probably give you the stuff for free. :happy:

Edited by Nadimos

Amarr Industrials are pretty good when you are just spending a few points in the beginning. I think with level 3 you get already 10k+ Cargohold or something.

That means in terms of hauling at that level, it is better then any other ships out there, plus you get the sigil with 5 lows, which basicly acts like a cheap version of a blockade runner (t2). Level 4 Minmatar is best in terms of pure space. Level 5 Gallente. PS: CPU is Co-Processor.

And do get a corp. They probably give you the stuff for free. :happy:

Im running with the Caldari,I might look into training for their ships too.

I really like this destroyer on the turret mounts alone,I just wish I could bump up my CPU power to handle a couple more mining lasers.that way I can run back and forth

If it's not going to break the bank, go right ahead.

Im a well versed pilot myself-it's earned me a pretty massive amount of criticism(most people use such mean hurty words as "idiotic" and "why the hell would you do that?!") but I can fly pretty much anyone's something. I've got T-2 Min frigates, T-3 cruisers from Caldari, Caldari, Gallente(FTW) AND Minmatarr BCs, and a Minnie BS.

It's because I love shear variety, I started out Gallente, went to Minnie frigates for the Rifter, ended up in a sexier-than-anything Jaguar smuggle boat, then got bored and purchased a used and abused Hurricane off an old buddy of mine.

Fixed the beat up 'Cane for a tenth of it's what it's worth now, used my existing Ballistic skills to give it serious WW-II style Artillery barrage killing power, and then upgraded to a BS stupidly thinking it was a significant diference.

Bored of flying a scraphead with a rocket attached, I went to the Gallenteh again, grabbed a Brutix, trained up some serious, serious Hybred skills, and then saw a lone Tengu fight it's way out of a ten-on-one Lowsec Gank on it's own and thought: "DO WANT !"

Bought a long dead Tengu for a few tens 'o million, fixed it myself for a hundred K ISK, then realised I didnt own a single Amarr ship. I then bought a Harbi (I think - pygmi carrier of Amarr origine, cruiser) and thus had the full set.

Nothing Jovian yet, but that's only a matter of time at this rate. If it flies, I probably owned, flew, and totalled one. I also own the wrecks of a few ships that I will one day repair, I like to buy them badly damaged. You'd be surprised how many people buy an expensive ship, ruin it's Hull and Armour, and cant afford to repair it, and since they lack the skills and parts for home done repairs, simply toss it out. I got a Tengu and a Hurricane for a pittance via this sneakeh approach.

I'll be back in EVE on thursday(eastern hemisphere time) and am going to have a garage sale, I may contact yer if I find any mining scrap. I have a LOT of scrap, to the point that my inventory on station is divided into subhangars so that I can even find stuff.

This brings me to my final point: keep the Badger, and learn to fly it. Industrials are VERY useful for either carrying cargo, OR if you ever want to move your junk from one station to another. I recently moved my main from Caldari space back to Gallente space, after being ousted for a uhhh... legal dispute. This meant I had a lot of cargo to carry, and Badgers and the like do that like nothing else, they can even carry several frigates in boxes!

Edited by Vindekarr