Problem with Blender and Black Meshes in Textured Mode

Trashdog

I did a lot of searching with google on it and I tried everything I could find regarding this but nothing worked for me. Probably its something that has been explained a thousand times already, so I to apologise for that, but keywords like "Blender, Mesh, Black, Texture etc." are so often used its nearly impossible for me to find the informations I'am looking for.

As the title says, I have some trouble with Blender and the Textured Mode.

Whenever I import some Nif files, some of them will just turn black in textured mode. Not all files do this though... for example jojjo's dread knight armor works just fine, his drake knight and silverlight armors on the other hand show up completely black. Many outfits from Apachii's Stores do this too... some of them work just fine, other ones show up black.

If I save and export such a black version it dosn't cause any trouble at all, Nifskope and Oblivion have no trouble with the Texture, its only Blender. This is realy frustrating me because a lot of armors I would like to convert for other body types have this issue, which makes it impossible for me to work on them.

This is the only topic I could find so far dealing with a problem similiar to mine: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=185915&page=1

I don't have the problem with the pink stuff though. I tried everything suggested in this topic but nothing worked. I even tried to reinstall my graphic card drivers and everything Blender related, but it didn't help either.

I realy hope someone can help me out with this.

Edited by Trashdog

Hi!

I think u get that when your texture is in the bsa.

So. U can extract the texture, and if its still not on right then u can go on 3d window edit mode slect the verts and open the texture in the uv window.

I dono why the textre is not going to show up tho when u just set it in the material. but its gonna work the otherway so u are fine!

Hi,

Blender can not decompress bsa-files.

You have to decompress your Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa and put the extracted texture-folder in your data-directory.

Tools for that: Oblivion Mod Manager, bsa browser.

Best regards.

Thanks for the replies and also sorry for responding so late.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with BSA files, because already know about that and extracted BSA Files don't cause me any trouble so far. Like I said, for example jojjo's drake knight and silverlight armors are black for me in Blender, even tough they use custom textures and the corect texture path is asigned. The Dread Knight Armor isn't doing this even though its also from jojjo.

Also for example: Roughly half of the stuff from Apachii's Goddes Store works fine, other half shows up black.

So. U can extract the texture, and if its still not on right then u can go on 3d window edit mode slect the verts and open the texture in the uv window.

I tried this out, but it didn't work either, the Mesh just ended up pink. But while trying this I found something in the Blender console: unknown file format. So I gues this will be the issue, but still no idea how to solve that...

• 1 year later...

Hi Trash Dog. I came across a similar issue (I think) and I was curious as to whether you found an answer to the black textures/meshes or not. Last night I was texture painting a fish for theBlu on one computer. It was turning out ok. This morning I brought my files to another computer, and upon opening them in Blender, my fish was black! No idea how to get the texture to show up properly. I'm hoping that you found a solution to this issue. :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

If I understand the problem correctly, its not really a "problem", its just that Blender doesn't know where the texture is, so it just shows up as black.You'll need to use the texture window to navigate to the proper folder and manually select the texture.

Thanks for the reply, Nephenee13. Yeah, I've been informed just a few minutes ago that if you don't save the texture file separately from the .blend file, then you will probably lose your texture. I was unaware of this. I'm hoping that my files are still on the original computer (I left it on, but I did exit Blender...). At least I didn't put too much time into texturing my fishy last night.

Thanks again.

Oh, so others know (since I was searching for an answer for a long time), make sure that you press the little 'F' square that is next to your texture name in the UV window. This will assign it to a "fake user", thus telling Blender to save it. At least this is what I was told. I'll be trying it myself once I get back on the original computer I was using (Blender 2.60).

Thanks.

Edited by Insipidus7