why is money found in many garbage cans?

webster63

has anyone else been bothered by the fact that many garbage cans contain caps (money) and other good usable items, so why is this in a world built around scavanging for a living?

i would like to see the caps found more often and in more storage areas and NOT at all in garbage cans.

IMO the only thing you should be finding in garbage cans is cans, empty bottles, and scrap metal

has a mod been made to fix this yet?

Edited by webster63

The garbage cans are pre-war. Before the bombs fell caps were worthless and got thrown into... garbage cans.

Never ment to be realistic in any way, just like finding ammo in desk drawers in office buildings all the time. It's just a way to distribute useful things across the wasteland in a container you become used to searching. If they were to make it realistic you'd probably find 1% of what you find in the game because it would all be scavenged already.

I don't see any reason why it needs to be fixed. I look at it this way:

Post-Apocalyptic life is pretty harrowing and uncertain. You live by the seat of your pants, often finding shelter where you can for the night and never knowing when there's going to be someone or some thing right around the corner ready to shoot you or bite your face off.

Little hiding places might be found where you go to sleep at night (in the desk drawer in the corner of the room), next to you on the street (in the garbage can), or anywhere else you might stash stuff (like old school lockers). You can't always carry everything with you...not everybody has 700 caps to buy a blasted backpack with! People tend to stash stuff. Always have, always will. Especially when you're not tough enough to take on all comers...and most people aren't. Only heroes are able to do that.

So, when the Super Mutant or Slaver sneaks up on you at night, when you walk into a pack of Raiders right around the corner and have to hide your stuff, you have to get out of there in a hurry. Maybe your stuff's already been stashed. Maybe that trash can that the raiders can't see yet will do for a quick stuff-n-run. Regardless, all you can do is run and desperately hope that you can hoof it out of there with your skin intact, and maybe come back for your stash later.

And according to what we know as the heroes who find all that stuff in garbage cans and desk drawers, that often isn't the case.

The garbage cans are pre-war. Before the bombs fell caps were worthless and got thrown into... garbage cans.

the cans are prewar yes but you are there "years" after the war and long into the rebuilding of things so your not anywhere near the time right after the bombs fell and all these buildings are sure to be picked clean except trash items like bottles and cans or books

i can see things around campsights being hiding places but in destroyed buildings or places being used like normal buildings i think really stretches being silly.

i just think the caps should be on people and NOT in EVERY garbage can you look in

I had the same thought at first but you find cigarettes and full Nuka Colas too ... and even pre-war money every now and then. All these things had/have value before and after the war.

not to mention according to the storyline the time is some 200-250 years after the bombs fell so even if it took 100 years for someone to come around thats still 100 years of scavengers that missed all that stuff :rolleyes:

it just would make more sense to give you the stuff after you take it off people you kill or from inside areas that might have been blocked off from scavengers or camp sites and dwellings where people were living.

my favorite is the garbage can right in front of guns and ammo store, 2 feet from where you buy stuff, has 9mm ammo and about 6-8 caps in it :wallbash:

And what if every container, desk, shelf, crate, ect was empty? Yea, people would complain that they are empty. No win situation there. It's a game thing. There's nothing real about it so why bother discussing it as if there were? And if you don't like it, just don't pick things like that up. Limit yourself to only caps from people you kill, or only from places doing business. Self limitation is sometimes an important part of role playing. You can't expect every little detail like that to be a game option.

I don't see any reason why it needs to be fixed. I look at it this way:

Post-Apocalyptic life is pretty harrowing and uncertain. You live by the seat of your pants, often finding shelter where you can for the night and never knowing when there's going to be someone or some thing right around the corner ready to shoot you or bite your face off.

Little hiding places might be found where you go to sleep at night (in the desk drawer in the corner of the room), next to you on the street (in the garbage can), or anywhere else you might stash stuff (like old school lockers). You can't always carry everything with you...not everybody has 700 caps to buy a blasted backpack with! People tend to stash stuff. Always have, always will. Especially when you're not tough enough to take on all comers...and most people aren't. Only heroes are able to do that.

So, when the Super Mutant or Slaver sneaks up on you at night, when you walk into a pack of Raiders right around the corner and have to hide your stuff, you have to get out of there in a hurry. Maybe your stuff's already been stashed. Maybe that trash can that the raiders can't see yet will do for a quick stuff-n-run. Regardless, all you can do is run and desperately hope that you can hoof it out of there with your skin intact, and maybe come back for your stash later.

And according to what we know as the heroes who find all that stuff in garbage cans and desk drawers, that often isn't the case.

This guy has it right. Theres a lot that has/could go on between the can/desks addition pre war and when you find it.

This guy has it right. Theres a lot that has/could go on between the can/desks addition pre war and when you find it.

you've created a whole NEW question that i WASNT asking

yes there are all sorts of out of the way places things will be hidden, thats my point, but the question is why do so many garbage cans have money

my very point is the one both of you spoke about and that is there has been 300 years since the war for people to stash stuff so all the other places (especially including locked places) and those places should be the primary place you find money.

all im saying is garbage cans should be primarily filled with the non high value handy stuff you keep out of sight but can be left behind in a hurry, since your whole style of living in this game is run n gun.