why is money found in many garbage cans?

webster63

maybe some raider had to blow his nose, used a C note for it and tossed it in the can as he walked by? There are thousands of logical reasons for them to be there. Yeah sure being in so many cans in so small a area is a bit stretching it, but hey its a game, use your imagination!

Hah, this always bugged me too. The way I see it, there are two semi-plausible reasons for this:

1. You are just the best scavenger ever. Whereas rational people look at a trash bin or a dumpster and say, yuck, I'm not rooting through that junk, there's probably nothing useful in there anyway, you're ready to get your hands dirty and - ta-da! - find something useful.

2. It is symbolic of the decadence and depravity of pre-war society. People threw away money because they didn't know the value of a dollar, tossed whole cartons of cigarettes in the trash because they weren't their favourite brand, and stashed guns and ammo in their cubicle desk drawers in preparation for "going postal" at work.

That's how I justify it anyway.

well the time gap is where it fails for me because after over 200 years of scavenging you have to believe NOBODY looked in that empty garbage can outside the run down diner :rolleyes:

i mean a few random times i can see maybe a not so smart guy put his stuff there but its like 7 or 8 out of 10 times you find money or ammo or both

if the timeline of the game was only 50 or even 100 years after the bombs i could maybe stretch my imagination to say people havent been around long enough to search everywhere so maybe you ARE the first guy to look in there

it just makes it to where i expect ammo and caps from every can and usually get it which shouldnt be the case

not to mention any guns or ammo would be useless exposed to the weather that long, maybe a knife would be salvaged but very unlikely and bottlecaps would just be a pile of rust

now im no realism freak but i would like it to be not too far fetched as to be impossible

Edited by webster63