Game hangs for about 10 seconds then resumes.

shepdozejr

So I've got the old Oblivion itch and have busted it out but I've run into something that is making the game unplayable.

Every minute or so the game hangs. The sound keeps going. However, input, video, and gameplay freeze. Gameplay resumes right where it left off after the hang.

I have a core 2 duo 3.2 ghz, radeon hd 5770, 8 gigs of ddr2 800 ram, and over 100 gb remaining on the harddrive oblivion is installed on. ( a different harddrive than my operating system)

I run vista 64 bit.

I have lots of mods, but I tried playing first without the mods off of a fresh install and thats when i first noticed the problem.

there is no way this is a "hardware can't handle the load" problem because i run much much more demanding applications and games than oblivion.

I haven't been able to come across anyone else with this problem on this forum or using google search. Any ideas?

First guess: Some background program is stealing the focus. IM type programs are bad about this - checking for new messages constantly. Turn off all background processes not needed by the game.

Second guess: Your hard drive is having problems with a swap file - make sure you have one. Make sure your hard drive is not more than 75% full, Defrag the hard drive & Make - or enlarge- a swap file.

Third guess: You are playing on a laptop and don't have enough RAM to support your video subsystem, audio subsystem and still have enough RAM left to play the game. Get more ram

Fourth guess: You have an overprotective antivirus that insists on checking for a virus every time you do a read or write to the hard drive. Try turning off the antivirus when you play - be sure to disconnect from the internet first.

This is a strictly oblivion problem. Games like Starcraft 2, STALKER, Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, and Global Agenda don't have any issues.

I updated my ATI catalyst drivers for my HD 5770 yesterday when I was trying to fix the problem on my own.

My antivirus is Avast! running in silent/game mode.

My computer is a desktop with adequate cooling. I know because I built it. It has 8gb of ram. I could almost run two instances of oblivion.

My hard drive has 30% freespace (180gb free of 596gb) at 7% fragmentation. I'll try defraging later when I'm not at my pc because it will take about an hour for that drive to defrag.

Thanks for the help guys. Any other ideas?

I've been monitoring my cpu and ram usage on my 2nd screen while playing and they do not spike when oblivion hangs.

Edited by shepdozejr

I have heard similar reports of regular interval hanging in-game from other ATI users who updated their drivers recently( I am one, myself). Try temporarily disabling the ATI HotKey Poller "service"(Ati2evxx.exe)- it's non-essential, according to every site I've checked- and then play to see if the issue persists. Disabling it did fix it for me, and the other folks I heard from. Edited by greenwarden

I have heard similar reports of regular interval hanging in-game from other ATI users who updated their drivers recently( I am one, myself). Try temporarily disabling the ATI HotKey Poller "service"(Ati2evxx.exe)- it's non-essential, according to every site I've checked- and then play to see if the issue persists. Disabling it did fix it for me, and the other folks I heard from.

This sounds more like a fix that might work. Where do you disable this?

I have an option to disable the hotkey features in my catalyst control center, but even with it turned on there is no Ati2evxx.exe running in my processes.

Edited by shepdozejr

I have heard similar reports of regular interval hanging in-game from other ATI users who updated their drivers recently( I am one, myself). Try temporarily disabling the ATI HotKey Poller "service"(Ati2evxx.exe)- it's non-essential, according to every site I've checked- and then play to see if the issue persists. Disabling it did fix it for me, and the other folks I heard from.

This sounds more like a fix that might work. Where do you disable this?

I have an option to disable the hotkey features in my catalyst control center, but even with it turned on there is no Ati2evxx.exe running in my processes.

Kill it in Task Manager to start. If disabling it solves your problem, you can disable it for good using msconfig. Google can talk you through that if you don't know how.

Edit: if it's not running in Task Manager for you to disable, I really don't know what to tell you.

Edited by greenwarden