Mods for Skyrim might ruin the fun??

dodger805

I do like mods, especially if there's just that little thing which is missing in the game. Honestly, I can't understand why Bethesda didn't add cloaks, gloves and other simple but interesting items.

If they don't add advanced fur cloaks and such (just an example, depending on the environment) I really think that some skilled modders are supposed to add that realistic support to the game.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally - I'd be quite happy not to have mods if they could make a half decent job at the game. (Firstly, making it stable - Unlike the many predecessors before it made on that terrible engine)

Every game that has been used on the Oblivion engine, has ALWAYS become massively unstable late into the game. Sometimes, I'd wished that Oblivion and Fallout were on the same Engine as Half Life 2 - Amazingly stable, and not really requiring the need for mods.

It shall be interesting to see, but I am going to wait a month or so after it comes out, see a few reviews etc, and heavily question the stability of the game. Because I cannot be bothered completing about 75% of the game, and then have to start over because the game crashes when i try to leave an area where i can't fast travel from.

I don't see how mods would "Ruin" the fun. I don't have anything against things such as body mods (I do use them myself because the vanilla ones are terrible) -

But the ones that really do make me cringe are the ones who have "Gigantic, Earth-Shakin Boob-Age". Prefer naturals myself.

Sexual Mods - Again, nothing against these mods - I suppose people are trying to add a little "realism" to the game, but animations ain't really for me.

Hejpadig - They had the tools before, they just didn't think that players would make a big deal about it. As for me.. I didn't, the only cloaks I liked were from the

Armory of the Silver Dragon (by LHammonds) and Lost Paladins.

As for the gloves, well again - They decided to combine the pauldrons and the cuirass into one mesh. It would stop players from severely overpowering themselves. I.E. 20% Magic Absorption/Resistance on several pieces to give a massive advantage against casters. I see this was why the "Reflect Spell/Damage" was removed from the enchantments list, because it would make people practically invincible, apart from the people who use bows or drowning, or lava.

I guess I don't feel that the unofficial Oblivion patches that fix literally thousands of bugs ruined my fun. Nor did installing better facial textures so I wasn't looking at patchy blocks of grey all over my character's face because I am playing in higher resolution. I don't feel I am pathetic for installing a mod that prevents the game from crashing every single time I quit just because I have Windows 7 64 bit. Mods do all sorts of things, some useful, some fun, some rather disturbing. Mods might ruin the fun for some people, but for others, particularly people who have played a game for 5 years or more, mods can renew the fun and prolong the enjoyment of the game. I will play Skyrim mostly vanilla the first time through, so I can appreciate what the devs worked so hard to create for us. After that, I will probably start tweaking it, and why shouldn't I? I am not someone who can afford to buy every game that comes out, play it 25 hours or so, and remove it once I have beaten whatever the main quest is. I look for replay value when I buy a game, and mods give me a lot more replay value. If Bethesda objected to modding, they wouldn't give us the tools, and they wouldn't have sections of their forums devoted to it.

I'm all for mods, I just don't want 90% of every mod in the game to be some sort of nude body replacer or skimpy outfit. I recently reinstalled Oblivion and I started to look through TESnexus for some good mods and I was overwhelmed by how many adult-oriented mods I came across. It's not that I think they shouldn't be allowed to make them, it's just that they seem to have dominated everything else. Either way, Skyrim is going to be great with or without mods in my opinion. I just hope people are actually going to make mods for this installment.

Every game that has been used on the Oblivion engine, has ALWAYS become massively unstable late into the game. Sometimes, I'd wished that Oblivion and Fallout were on the same Engine as Half Life 2 - Amazingly stable, and not really requiring the need for mods.

First, there's nothing like an "Oblivion Engine". The TES Games and Fallout Games have been running on the GameBryo Engine.

But now, there's a totally new engine being used, made in-house at Bethesda Softworks, and not by someone else (Which was the case with GameBryo).

So don't worry about the "Oblivion Engine". :)

I'm all for mods, I just don't want 90% of every mod in the game to be some sort of nude body replacer or skimpy outfit. I recently reinstalled Oblivion and I started to look through TESnexus for some good mods and I was overwhelmed by how many adult-oriented mods I came across. It's not that I think they shouldn't be allowed to make them, it's just that they seem to have dominated everything else. Either way, Skyrim is going to be great with or without mods in my opinion. I just hope people are actually going to make mods for this installment.

ive used nude mods for both male and female since Morrowind. i think it makes the game more realistic and believable like for example the quest in morrowind where the nord loses hes cloths to a witch in my game he was naked which made it funnier. i dont use bikini armor since i dont see it as point, if your gonna wear that meant as well play naked. my second play-though is always a female and i prefer them to wear skin tight leather suits instead.

So basically I have been wondering about skyrim and the modding of it and I think I won't get any mods for it unless it really misses something. I have been thinking (and I know I am gonna get a lot of hate for this) that maybe it's best to not add modding possebilities (can't spell lol) because I myself get really sad and depressed when I see a video on youtube when someone has taken oblivion and modded it into some sort of shitty Devil may cry/hentai/manga/cartoon/call of duty by using mods that changes every aspect of the game. Then the game has lost all of it's purpose and you just bought it for the graphics engine which is just sad. What are your feelings on this? :mellow:

Pretty easy to avoid looking at the mods if you don't want to. Please stop advocating removal of modding capabilities, I bought a new PC just so I could mod Bethesda games :tongue:

Plus I'm awful at drawing and writing is too boring, so modelling and texturing is the only creative medium I'm any good at :verymad:

it all comes down to what the user wants and what the mods are about. having said this i don't think ALL mods wil ruin the fun, just the ridiculous and poor quality ones.

besides I reckon Bethesda took A lot of cues from the top rated mods on the nexus, there may not be much need for mods.

First, there's nothing like an "Oblivion Engine". The TES Games and Fallout Games have been running on the GameBryo Engine.

But now, there's a totally new engine being used, made in-house at Bethesda Softworks, and not by someone else (Which was the case with GameBryo).

So don't worry about the "Oblivion Engine". :)

I know it was going to be a new engine entirely, made by Bethesda themselves. I just wish they come up with that idea before they released Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They knew the engine was terrible after they released Vanilla Oblivion, it couldn't support the advanced graphics. It wasn't so bad in Morrowind. It actually allowed you to Alt+Tab without the game crashing. For Oblivion and Fallout.. That's a rare commodity.

Wasn't entirely sure whether it was Gamebyro or the NetImmerse engine or whatever, but both are pretty bad.

I probably won't end up buying Skyrim straight away. See a few reviews first, see if this engine is as "Super Duper" as Bethesda claim it to be.

Chances are you will find SOMETHING you want to change, which mods allow you to do. It's all personal preference which is why all of us are thankful for the capability to mod Bethesda games.