Basic Super-noob Voice-acting GECK Instruction (re: garbage gurus)

templeofninpo

I made this with my mod (Garbage Guru Hauling and Free Store) in mind, though it'll work in general as well.

Extremely Basic GECK Voice Addon Instruction (for New Vegas)

Requirements:

New Vegas installed.
GECK or GECK Power-up installed.
winrar (or other compression software)

1. From desktop- run the GECK (from here on in I'll refer to the GECK and the GECK Power-up as just the GECK- they do the same thing as far as voice recording is concerned).

2. Load up/open the Fallout esm and the mod you want to make an addon for (in this case it will be AAAGG.esp). Do not set either as the 'active file'.

3. After loaded when you first save it will ask you what you want to name the file and where you want to put it (I suggest giving it the prefix AAAGG- for all the files you might make) and it must be saved in the Data folder in the NV game folder (the one containing the game exe).

4. Go to 'Quests' in the Object Window and double click on the one you want to make voice for (one character can have dialog in multiple quests- hence the AAAGG prefix comes in handy because all the voices in this mod exist in quest files prefixed with AAAGG... that is, you'll have to manually check each one to see if a character has lines there). After double-clicking on a quest the quest window will open.

5. In that window all of the tabs from 'Topics' to 'Radio' are for dialog (most dialog for this will be in the Topics tab, though there are instances where there are lines in 'Conversation' and 'Combat').

6. Click on a topic then all the lines in it will be displayed.

7. Double click on the line you want to do... hold on, wait a second... Ok minimize the geck for a moment and check your Data/Sound/voices/AAAGG.esp folder. In it will be a few folders of the voices of all/some of the character's voices. Delete the characters you intend on making voice for (some may not exist because I uploaded a few of the voices in separate files onto the Nexus and you may not have them, which doesn't matter, if the character you want to do isn't in the Data/Sound/voices/AAAGG.esp folder that's fine and let's just go back into the GECK now.

8. Ok. After double clicking on a line a dialog window will open, with the text of the line in the top box. Near the bottom is a Record button. (you may have to figure out manually how to best set up your system's recording. I know the numbers 44100 and 16bit are required)

9. Record yourself reading the line. Let there be the shortest of pauses after starting and before ending recording.

10. Preview and if it is acceptable, save it (note: when you save a lipfile is also made, so if you want to change a save you already made you'll have to manually delete the lipfile and let the geck make a new one with your new save... so take previewing seriously :).

11. Then save the file. Also save often.

12. (Optional) When you are done with all your lines of dialog. They are ready to be compressed into a rar and uploaded, though, if possible, if you have an audio batch file coverter (be good to get one if you're going to be doing this sort of stuff) to convert all the .wav files the geck made to .ogg files- 16bit mono 44100. Then just delete the .wav files.

13. Packaging the .rar.

- make a folder named AAAGG[yourfilename]
- in that folder make a folder named Data
- in that folder make a folder named Sound (is it sounds with an 's'... manually double check that one)
- in that folder make a folder named voices (check the 's' thing again)
- in that folder make a folder named AAAGG.esp
- now go to the voice/aaagg.esp folder in the game folder and copy the folder(s) you worked on and paste them in your AAAGG.esp folder.
- now right click on your file folder (the AAAGG[yourfilename] and make an archive of it. You'll have to figure out/get the .rar compression software yourself.

Once that is done upload it to the Nexus and I can put a link to it in my mod description.

Hope this helps.

PS: Just realized saving isn't important unless you are changing the dialog, which is doable but raises complication as then the .esp (your esp in the Data folder) gets put in your .rar's Data folder. Which means it becomes an 'update' that'll potentially need to be upgraded everytime I upgrade the mod.