Finally fixed on-startup freeze, now I've got a start-game freeze,

Konrad9

After three weeks of (mostly) waiting for Bethesda's AWFUL tech support to help me, I called and got a very nice guy who helped me out.

I used the .ini trick to restrict FO3 to 2 cores and I can now, GASP, get it to launch.

Unfortunately that's as far as I can go. I try to start a new game and after ~5 seconds the game freezes and I have to close it from the task manager.

Running the GOTY edition, no DLC installed. When I first installed I got to the menu without DLC installed so I'm waiting till I get it working before I try to absurd and install the DLC.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Core i7 860

8GB DDR3

Radeon 5570

No dedicated APU or PPU.

Any other information I will be happy to provide, just ask, and thank you in advance for any help.

Ah yes the infamous Windows 7 glitch. They have a patch out for the game, but some people are still having problems. If you haven't tried updating then give it a go. Also, check your drivers to make sure they are in date. However, if your getting as far as the actual game then it shouldn't be those because otherwise you would get the black screen of death and the game would crash. Another issue is with your sound. If you don't hear anything until the loading screen when the sound files kick in then its Audio Codac. Go here to learn more: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistagaming/thread/aa60bc70-6117-435e-a45d-7ed327c306f1.

Add the same problem than you and found a solution in this forum.

The problem is not from Seven, it's from your CPU.

This is the solution that helped me:

I've had this problem too, but then I fixed it using this, but it only works if your CPU has more than two cores, otherwise you're on your own.

Go to the FALLOUT.ini file, then find the line called bUseThreadedAI=0 and change it to bUseThreadedAI=1

Add a new line under that called iNumHWThreads=2 , then save the text. I don't know what the first one does, but the second command tricks the game into using only 2 cores; for some reason, Fallout 3 can't support processors with more than 2 cores.

An i7 is a quadri core CPU.

Add the same problem than you and found a solution in this forum.

The problem is not from Seven, it's from your CPU.

This is the solution that helped me:

I've had this problem too, but then I fixed it using this, but it only works if your CPU has more than two cores, otherwise you're on your own.

Go to the FALLOUT.ini file, then find the line called bUseThreadedAI=0 and change it to bUseThreadedAI=1

Add a new line under that called iNumHWThreads=2 , then save the text. I don't know what the first one does, but the second command tricks the game into using only 2 cores; for some reason, Fallout 3 can't support processors with more than 2 cores.

An i7 is a quadri core CPU.

I've done that, but thank you, it would have been a good suggestion.

Also, to the other one, the social link you showed me is dead or invalid, any other suggestions?