Yet Another Issue with Steam

MrHermeteeowish

Before I get into this, please note that I bought the game legally, and can prove it if necessary.

I recently made a new Steam account, because I hated my old username. Of course, Steam decided to screw me over. Now I can't play the game I paid for unless I mess around with usernames and passwords. This is unacceptable. Now, without the accusations of piracy, I need to bypass Steam, or at least free up my CD key so I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to play my games. This has already taken up far too much of my time. Can this be done simply, or do I have to uninstall and reinstall the entire game?

have you considered posting this inquiry on the steam forums

who knows, it might even be possible to transfer the assets from one user name (permanently) to another

presuming that you can prove to steam's satisfaction that both users are you.

Edited by Fonger

Here's the reply I got from Steam:

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Steam game subscriptions and CD keys are non-transferable and cannot be reset or moved between Steam accounts. We will be unable to transfer this game to another account. You must be logged in to the original account it was registered to in order to play the game. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

So other than switching between Steam accounts, what are my options? Could I just reinstall F:NV and register it under my new account? Or could I just launch from FOMM without the Steam check? I should also mention that I couldn't care less about Achievements.

It appears you are out of luck on this problem.

The game is attached to your old account, re-installing under a new username will get you an error stating that the CD is already in use.

As far as this site goes, if there is a way to bypass steam, it is not allowed to be posted here due to site rules.

Only way around this problem that I can see at this point, is to purchase another copy of the game and install it under your new account.