whiterun lod appears white on certain buildings from outside town

BoSSyojimbo

So my whiterun seems to work fine from inside town. buildings look fine, lod in the distance is fine too. when i leave the city and look back parts of dragonsreach and some other house have white blocks over parts of the model. i thought it was missing textures but that is not it. disabling enb changed nothing. changing window mods and reverting to vanilla windows had no effect. removing lighting mods had no effect. i thought i read something about smim causing a similar issue but now i cant find where i read that. any ideas?

I know you loaded the texture previously, but did you run something to optimized them afterwards? That almost to me, looks like a missing or corrupted texture (I ran Optimizer Texture recently and for some strange reason it trashed/deleted a few random textures, including textures used by ENB - well the ENB one was my fault since I ran it against the entire MO mods folder, but the deleted ones not sure and were files from Cloaks of Skyrim. At least the ones I'd noticed), that at that distance with changed lighting went from purple to a light blue. With SMIM, some mods, like 2K HD Skyrim, needs to be installed after SMIM. Not sure if the esp load order for SMIM matters, though I'm guessing yes - I haven't tested that one out.

these are not optimized textures, atleast i did not run the optimization. i reverted to vanilla and the problem went away, but who can play skyrim vanilla....

Your not kidding there, there's really no going back. Lol! Debugging mods and load outs sometimes is a monumental effort. To me, other than texture or mesh replacement, many mods I'd consider more a hack than a mod. Not a hack in the traditional sense, but a... "If you do this, which really makes no sense and shouldn't work at all, works!" kinda thing. Multiply that by a thousand mods and things get messy pretty quick.

The offending file was a single nif. wrlodwindowglow01.nif to be exact. not sure which mod it came from, or why it is bugged, but i tried several textures to fix the nif and was unsuccessful. im thinking it was a SMIM file because i did not have any replacers for architecture meshes other than random fixes made by that mod or SKYMILLS. im wondering if that mesh was corrupted somehow because i dont see this issue reported elsewhere. Anyone have a copy of that file which works or know which mod supplies it.

• 5 years later...