My model is a flat plane in the GECK

sputnik421

I have been tiring to do my first model for fallout NV, it is a banister rail for another moders staircase in his house. I have the model sorted but when I try export it as a NIF, from 3ds max 2009 after making the col mesh. I open it in the GECK and it is a flat plane, anyone had this problem or got any clue what I have done wrong? It looks ok in nifscope apart from the col mesh has moved from where it was in 3ds max 2009 on -X & -Y but not on the Z. I'm no good with coding so don't understand nifscope to well.

Hi!

I understand that 3dsmax nifscripts exporting control panel thingy is looking different than blender one!

But anyway, the thing i am thinking is in geck u are seeing the flat plane, is the xy plane at z0 that depicts the ground?

It is just a default plane that helps to see orientation of the model instead of having axes displayed.

Ok lets see if you only have 1 problem, I dont know about your colision mesh moving, it is red and that is good for a static object that u have.

Please find the option for "use bsfadenode root" and try that. the nifs that are having colision on em are using bsfadenode instead of ninode root.

We can see if there is any problem remaining after this.

Ok changed it to BSFadeNode it still comes up as a flt plane in the GECK though. I built and UVWunwrapped the object in 3ds max 2011, exported it to 3ds max 2009 so I could use niftools. As 2011 says there is a dll missing for niftools to work with 2011.

Hi!

I think maybe its in your shader settings that can cause the bannister not appearing.

look on the bsshaderpplightingproperty of the bannister nitristrips block.

On the block details on that you need shader default and shader flags of empty and unknown 31. zbuffer test shader flag is optional, I dont think u need it on that model.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Everyone.

I set the shader type to 'SHADER_DEFAULT', and the shader flags with value 'SF_Empty, 'SF_Unknown3', and 'SF_Unknown1' ('SF_Zbuff_Test' as optional)?

Do I disable all other flags?

My GECK crashes when I attempt to load my nif with these settings. Where as it was just flat in the preview before.

Is anyone having similar problems?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by gadesign

Simply cut => paste a bsshaderproperty from a static object into your .nif for textures to appear in-game/in the GECK

You then may, if you wish, find out whatever settings are under shader type and see how they're different for different kinds of static objects/materials

It's easier to work backwards from something you know that works, rather than apply settings from the ground-up until you arrive at something that does when using NifSkope

Guest Messenjah

Ok, go onto youtube and look up my video series.

It is called "Fallout to Blender and Back."

This should help you with any static meshes that you need to import/export. Any further questions and you can message me and I will get back to you on that.

Hope it helps.