WoW vs. Runescape Engine

Dicecaster

Okay, so the two most opposed online games ever are World of Warcraft and Runescape. There are frequent debates (many of which get very heated, I'm sure) about which is the better game. So, here's my idea: you create a platform that allows WoW players to import and play their characters against Runescape players who do the same. Of course, graphics, balance, and so on would be quite a challenge, but if it were possible, is this not a great idea?

Ignoring the fact that getting the licences for both Runescape AND WoW would be financialy impossible...

...that would be one hell of a game.

RuneScape was the first MMO I ever played, when I was 11, introduced me well to how they work, how to look after myself in a big open world setting, how to identify danger and avoid it, and how to plan for the future via investments, shareholding, and and trading stocks. Admitedly those stocks tended to be BowStrings or Hides, but this game was the one that showed me how to buy cheap and sell dear.

WoW was my next step up, a very simple game but that's half it's charm, WoW is simple pure MMORPG fun, a mindless romp that neither takes itself seriously, nore expects you to take it seriously, and endless timesink, but one of the most entertaining MMO's I've ever played even to this day.

Now, if you combined the two... ...epic wouldnt even begin to describe the result.

No. While they are MMORPG's, they are two completely different games - it's like comparing Call of Duty to Medal of Honour. Both are shooters, but the mechanics are that different, it's down to personal taste, pure and simple, and hence "what's better" purely comes down to opinion, and hence is worthless.

The one thing that is in WoW that isn't in RS that I'd like is the ability to choose a race (purely for appearance purposes). Would be nice to be an Elf, a Dwarf, a Zombie or a Vampire etc. How would you integrate the gameplay? WoW/RS Plot?

As an aside, I'd actually considered making either a WoW or RS mod for DA:O.

I'm sorry, I didn't make my point very well. It's not a new game that allows the best of both games to be combined, it's merely a platform for WoW players/characters to battle Runescape players/characters. It's a lot more of an arena than an MMORPG. My bad.

Well it may happen one day.

For decades in motor racing there was a rivalry between onroad and offroad racing drivers, and no way for them to fairly settle the score. So one day an organisation founded an event to settle the score once and for all, and the Race Of Champions has existed as an annual event ever since.

Maybe one day we'll have games that let people from one game compete with another fairly? I hope so.

Such a thing would require years of development, permissions from all respective companies, and some liberal usage of personal beliefs toward how things relate to eachother. That last bit would be the main problem since whomever did it could simply add their own biases.

This is of course ignoring the rather obvious fact that both games rather suck from a PvP and arguably even gameplay perspective. Although both use turn based combat, they handle it in totally different ways, and for the most part PvP is designed purely in how combat is handled and what limitations there are in regards to equipment and abilities. Strength in one just does not translate to the other any more than strength in one MMO transfers to any other MMO. Also, most pvp "skill" tends to be solely in how that particular character class is designed, so even if there was a good way to compare the two, the only thing you would be comparing is how the game designers setup that particular class or aspect related to that particular build.

Such a thing would require years of development, permissions from all respective companies, and some liberal usage of personal beliefs toward how things relate to eachother. That last bit would be the main problem since whomever did it could simply add their own biases.

This is of course ignoring the rather obvious fact that both games rather suck from a PvP and arguably even gameplay perspective. Although both use turn based combat, they handle it in totally different ways, and for the most part PvP is designed purely in how combat is handled and what limitations there are in regards to equipment and abilities. Strength in one just does not translate to the other any more than strength in one MMO transfers to any other MMO. Also, most pvp "skill" tends to be solely in how that particular character class is designed, so even if there was a good way to compare the two, the only thing you would be comparing is how the game designers setup that particular class or aspect related to that particular build.

If it ever were to happen, you're right, it would take lots of work and years of development. However, this means that it would take a fairly large team to accomplish, and if they were right in their heads they would know not to favor one game or another, because that would decrease its popularity severely. Besides, what are the chances that every developer would be willing to tip the odds in favor of a game, let alone the same game?

If it ever were to happen, you're right, it would take lots of work and years of development. However, this means that it would take a fairly large team to accomplish, and if they were right in their heads they would know not to favor one game or another, because that would decrease its popularity severely. Besides, what are the chances that every developer would be willing to tip the odds in favor of a game, let alone the same game?

Maybe you don't know what Runescape is. By and large, anyone over the age of 14 has pretty much come to a consensus that it's a game they do not like, and don't particularly care for the sorts that play it. The main reason why anyone would spend the time doing any project like this would be simply to make one game look so much better than the other.

Even though that might be true in this case, in general terms it doesn't matter what all the developers think, but rather what the project head/lead designer thinks. For something like this, where there isn't any clear formula to negotiate between the rather large differences between games, the only way to do anything is to invent something that kinda fits. The problem is that in the process of inventing some bias is added even if it isn't intentional. Even if you have multiple people doing the coding, calling the shots, and each one has their own beliefs, the net bias will undoubtedly be skewed in one way or another. In order to even begin working on something like this, all people involved would need to be thoroughly familiar with both sources, and through that familiarization they will undoubtedly feel the need to highlight those aspects they liked over others.

Maybe you don't know what Runescape is. By and large, anyone over the age of 14 has pretty much come to a consensus that it's a game they do not like, and don't particularly care for the sorts that play it. The main reason why anyone would spend the time doing any project like this would be simply to make one game look so much better than the other.

Even though that might be true in this case, in general terms it doesn't matter what all the developers think, but rather what the project head/lead designer thinks. For something like this, where there isn't any clear formula to negotiate between the rather large differences between games, the only way to do anything is to invent something that kinda fits. The problem is that in the process of inventing some bias is added even if it isn't intentional. Even if you have multiple people doing the coding, calling the shots, and each one has their own beliefs, the net bias will undoubtedly be skewed in one way or another. In order to even begin working on something like this, all people involved would need to be thoroughly familiar with both sources, and through that familiarization they will undoubtedly feel the need to highlight those aspects they liked over others.

I would like to continue a debate about this, I originally created this topic to see what people might think of it if it were to become a reality. I disagree with you for several reasons, but it's not at all important, so let's just drop the discussion. Thank you for you input, though.

Would it help to put it into a different perspective... Such as comparing powers and abilities between AD&D (second addition rules for the sake of argument) characters and Final Fantasy characters. This perspective is a good comparison to the argument at hand because in one case you have more personalized characters, but less power granted to a single character; while on the other you have less personalized characters, but more power granted to a single character. It has the same sorts of issues in relating capability of characters in one against the other. And also, you have a decided split between the fanboys of one camp, and the fanboys of the other camp.

In this case, it would be undoubtedly skewed toward the Final Fantasy side of things unless you had a team of mostly old-school tabletop players. The reason being not only because of biases toward newer fantasy styles, but also because characters in Final Fantasy can more easily do ridiculously powerful attacks. Although 2nd ed. rules allow for some really devastating spells, most of these require a very large determent to a given character to even use them.